Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CounterRandom
Jul 19, 2006

YES WE CAN
I had a quick question for everyone in the investment banking field.

I'm a senior studying physics, math, and electrical engineering. I have good grades, several publications, and have presented at an academic conference. I have a lot of research and work experience; however, it is all in physics and engineering. I have recently decided that I wanted to try and join the financial service industries, specifically investment banking. I have no training in finance and no work experience related to the field.

I have been applying hard to try and get an internship after graduation, but after about 200 emails/applications, I have only managed to get one interview with a boutique firm. Am I wasting my time looking for an internship? Would my time be better spent taking some finance classes after I graduate to improve my resume?

I have some pretty good job prospects at some engineering companies, but I really would much rather work in finance.

Also, if anyone could recommend some good introductory finance books that would be useful to study I would be very appreciative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CounterRandom
Jul 19, 2006

YES WE CAN
Thank you everyone for the valuable input. I have been studying finance on my own time, but there is only so much time in one day. I'm going to let everyone's advice sink in and spend a couple weeks thinking about what I should do if I don't get an internship/career in finance by summer.

I'm not crazy about the idea of going to get a masters or phd in finance right now, I'm really tired of school and just wanted a break after this year. If worse comes to worse, I can work an engineering job for a couple of years and save up some money so when I go back to school I don't have to live in poverty and bring my girlfriend down with me.

• Locked thread