Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Spain borrowed for 1 year at 5% yesterday and their stock market went up. Makes a lot of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Nam Taf posted:

I really wish I could see actual examples of what you kids do in Excel. I want to know what sort of complexity your stuff gets to and how much you have to do.

It's unlikely you'll see anything mind blowing in IBD. S&T is where poo poo starts to get weird.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Swingline posted:

I figured this would be a good place to ask this question:

I'm really into running but haven't ran since starting my internship since gently caress running at 5:30AM and gently caress treadmills and I don't get out until its dark or getting dark. First thing everyone told me when I moved here is "don't go to the park after dark." I'm starting to get really out of shape. Is running in the park at 9 or 10pm or so really still dangerous? Like around the reservoir mostly?

There aren't any dangerous neighborhoods in Manhattan if that's what you're getting at.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Swingline posted:

What about central park at night?

You're fine. I don't know if you're male or female but just be aware of your surroundings and you have nothing to worry about. The reservoir is also pretty awesome for a run.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

About to start the full-time hire slog. Mostly focusing on commercial real estate finance and capital markets positions.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Not banking per se but my OCR posted two buyside equity research positions at big institutional money managers. I don't really want to stay in Boston but these jobs seem too good to not go for. I know the salary but does anyone have any experience that they can comment on in regards to lifestyle/career progression?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Had a phone interview for Wells Fargo's Financial Analyst Program last week. Went well and the program seems good. This job market is cold.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of asset-backed/distressed lending? I'm in the final round for an analyst program at one of the major banks and I'd love to talk to someone who might be more knowledgeable than myself. It seems like a niche area of finance but the skill-set you develop seems like it would be transferable and the work could potentially be very interesting.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Does anyone have any general Superday advice? I'm a confident interviewer but I've never technically gone on a Superday before. Any tips or taboos I should know about?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Thanks for all the input gentlemen. It's not at a BB and the firm supposedly has a more relaxed culture but I'm going to prepare for war regardless. The only details I have now are that I'm there from 2-5 (3 hours) but don't have any info on how that time will be broken down. Hopefully going to get some more info soon.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Thanks guys. I'm actually fortunate enough to have quite a bit of interviewing under my belt and I've seen a lot of the shenanigans that go on. For one internship I had a guy talk on his blackberry the entire time and then grill me on options trading even though the position was rates/fx sales. I had a weird interview at UBS once where it was 2 consecutive 2-on-1 interviews. The first group was obviously the "nice" group and swooned over my resume and the second were mean and rude the entire time.

I do mock interviews for underclassmen at my school and it can sometimes be appalling how bad some people are at interviewing. It's definitely a skill that needs practicing but people that lack raw emotional intelligence can quickly turn a "walk me through your resume" into a train wreck.

I think my biggest fear is being thrown a curve-ball technical question and locking up. I already did a case study for this particular job and had a follow-up technical phone interview but I'm not really sure what the split is going to be on fit/technical stuff for this.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

usernamen_01 posted:

If I were to narrow it down to just one thing, it would be how companies make and spend money to ultimately become either profitable or on the ropes. My intepretation of investment banking was that it dealt with the facilitation of acquisitions of companies and, consequently, the analysis of companies suitable for acquisiton. Getting into a PE firm interested me in this sense as well considering that their livelihood seems to draw from the wellspring of cost-cutting and efficiency.

If banking is your dream then shoot for banking by all means, but jobs in FP&A and audit would also expose you to the costs and spending of a business (probably with more detail and nuance than a banker might care about). And those career paths are significantly easier to get yourself on than IB/PE.

I honestly think working in FP&A or Internal Audit at a bulge bracket bank would be an enormously interesting job, albeit pretty un-sexy from a prestige/dick-waving perspective.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

As a followup, I was torn to shreds by this guy on my breakfast interview. It's made clear that I don't have any accounting experience, but that's what he grilled me on through the entire breakfast. My overall confusion is that on one hand he was telling me how inexperienced I am and how he needs accounting people, and on the other he was talking about the classes I would have to take (that he would pay for) and my current salary and bonus structure (so he'd know when to hire me so I'd be able to get my current company's bonus). I'd like to think I held my own during the withering remarks, but I didn't leave very hopeful until he e-mailed me with a huge divestiture presentation that he wanted me to review to see if I could get my head around it. All in all, I'm confused but hopeful.

Didn't you say you were a FI trader? What type of accounting he is expecting you know?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Its Miller Time posted:

Is that what "investment banking" is? It was always my understanding that the term referred specifically to the groups, the investment banking divisions, within an investment bank. You wouldn't call someone in sales and trading a "banker", would you? But they work for an investment bank? Can someone clarify this?

I think to the layperson it's all the same but I can't imagine anyone that works in finance would ever refer to a trader as a banker.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Have my Superday on Tuesday. It's 3 one hour long interviews.

The first is with two associates, I was told this is more of an "info session" and I should bring questions. The way interpreted this is that it I'm going to be expected to pass the airport test with these guys and show I've done my research on the position. I wrote up about 10 questions I can ask, some of which will probably get answered in the course of a conversation but I wanted to be on the safe side and not run out before the time is up.

Second two are 3-on-1 interviews with more senior people. I was told these will be pretty straightforward with a mix of fit and technical questions. Pretty comfortable here, although I don't think I've ever been in a 3-on-1 interview, just 1-on-1 and 2-on-1. I've got 6-7 anecdotes I can tap for behavioral questions and I'm pretty comfortable with accounting technicals. I'm not expecting any brain teasers.

Anything I'm overlooking?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Didn't end up getting an offer from my final round last week. The color I got from the recruiter was they Superday'd 9 people for 2 spots, 2 of the interviewees were interns. I was the first alternate but they made offers to the two interns and they both accepted.

Not a big deal but it blows going into the last semester of senior year without an offer. Fairly sure I've secured a part-time unpaid internship at a M&A Boutique for the spring which is at least a foot in the door somewhere. Going to work my rear end off and try to get an offer or leverage the connections of the people there to find something.

The battle continues.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I've been shopping from the Tie Bar lately (http://www.thetiebar.com). They've been endorsed by a handful of menswear magazines and from my experience they're higher quality than BB for 25% of the price. Better selection too.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Suit Supply ain't bad either.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I have an interview for an internship at a Healthcare focused sell-side M&A boutique on Wednesday. I've already had a preliminary phone interview that was mostly fit questions so I imagine this one may be more technical. The only information I have right now is that it will be 1-1.5 hours long but I don't have any info on who I'll be interviewing with.

My plan now is to learn The Affordable Healthcare Act inside and out and how it'll affect M&A activity, major deals in the sector, their recent deals, and brush up on M&A technicals (a little foggy here). Can anyone throw out some suggestions for topics/technical areas to research?

e: They also just sent me a short case study, which is just a short deal memo with no specific questions. Not sure how to approach that.

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 3, 2013

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

fougera posted:

Identify the industry verticals within healthcare. You won't need to be an expert in any of them but understanding how businesses are grouped and classified will make you sound smart when discussing the topics you mentioned. Definitely know this for the case study.

bam thwok posted:

For healthcare, a few of the buzzwords from the ACA you should become familiar with include the Medical Device Tax, Accountable Care Organizations, Bundled Payment and Shared Savings models, Medical Home, and Meaningful Use requirements.

Thank you sirs. Both helpful and I got the internship. Now I just have to figure out how to turn a 20 hour per week unpaid internship into a full-time job.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I'm starting my unpaid internship at an lower middle market healthcare M&A boutique on Thursday. An analyst recently just jumped ship to a back-office job at Morgan Stanley in NYC (boutique is in Boston). Do you guys think this is a bad sign? They closed 8-10 deals in 2012 but is someone lateraling FO->BO a red flag that maybe the experience at this particular shop isn't too great? They indicated my internship could turn into a full-time position if the situation was right with my performance and headcount.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

fwiw my flex 3 on Wall St. had central air. I paid $1315/month for one of the two non-flex bedrooms. Fees are tricky. I've heard of people paying almost nothing and others paying out the rear end. NYC apartment hunting is a bloodbath basically.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

crazypeltast52 posted:

I've been lurking here for a while, but now I need to ask you all a question. Any real estate guys in here? I'm looking for advice on interviews in this sector, I had finance internships in college, but I've been out for a year in the construction industry as a project manager. I have some interviews coming up in commercial real estate as well as doing a bit of networking, and I'd like to tap the goonsphere for advice.

I flirted with the idea of pursuing CRE as a career for a while. I interviewed for a CRE lending desk at a major US bank but didn't end up getting the job. CRE is drat hard to break into right now, most Analyst openings require 1-3 years of CRE experience just to interview. The market is definitely recovering and if you can get it now you'll probably do well. What types of jobs are you pursuing? CRE is a very dynamic field and is very much its own world in finance.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I have a Starbuck's meeting with an MD at a small boutique in NYC. He's an Ex-GS MD so I'm pretty drat nervous. They're possibly looking to expand and hire a new analyst. I got the meeting through a friend who works there. He told me not to dress up and I honestly don't know what to expect. Pretty sure he's seen my resume but I don't know how much he knows about my background. Just going to brush up on everything technical and wing it I guess.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Not too worried about the attire--More concerned with what the hell we're going to talk about in a Starbucks. It's in FiDi so it won't be too crowded on a Saturday but the intel I've got from my friend and my general feeling talking to the guy via email is he wants to feel out if I can handle the work and if I'd be a good fit culturally.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Update: The guy couldn't have been nicer. Really laid back meeting. Hopefully will have something there for the summer at least.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Just accepted an offer at Fidelity in their development program. :chord: Buy-Side or die bitches :chord:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I mentioned before I'm starting at Fidelity in their development program (start on the 17th) but I just got my group assignment and I'm doing internal consulting & due diligence for the research & management division and their PE subsidiary, Devonshire Investors.

Has anyone heard anything through the grapevine about Devonshire in terms of culture or management? They don't have their own dedicated website and my only real sources of info are current Fidelity employees who might have disincentive to give me straight information.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

An intern in risk wore a bowtie to the office today.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Can anyone give me a recommendation for a carry-on size suitcase for the aspiring financier? Something professional and appropriate but not something that looks like I bought it at Best Buy. Also something that's part of a set might be good in case I need to scale up down the line, I think I get to go to Tokyo and maybe Sydney in 2014 :cool:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

What are your alternatives?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Adding to the list of pet peeves: I can't stand it how people use "space" to describe loving everything. The capital markets "space", the energy "space". Just say division or industry or whatever it is you're referring to because you sound like a loving dickhead with a lovely vocabulary.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I have literally never met anyone in finance whose motivation wasn't money. There's a myriad of reasons why you should think twice before entering this field but the trope that financial motivation is a cancer to this business is tired. It's the sole reason it exists.

Also I just found out my on-site to one of our portfolio companies might get switched from Tokyo to Bangalore. I'm going to loving kill myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I've been getting emails from headhunters pretty frequently for entry level stuff, would it be breaking some type of ethical code to post the firms or info they send me here? I probably wouldn't vouch for anyone I didn't know but at least it would let people know who's hiring.

• Locked thread