Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GTGastby
Dec 28, 2006

Admirable Gusto posted:

Bzzt wrong thread

While they may have more luck in one of the computing forums, I'd hardly say this is the wrong thread. Assuming they are talking about a Masters in Financial Engineering, anyways.

I haven't done any of the coursework myself, but all the Financial Engineers at my company (bulge bracket i-bank) know their way around a computer fairly well. They are generally divided into two (unofficial) groups. Some have CS backgrounds and focus more on programming, some have finance backgrounds and focus more on modelling.

Hopefully there is someone here that can answer you better, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GTGastby
Dec 28, 2006

AJzer posted:

I'm using Excel 2010.

I haven't. My issues are largely data management, model transparency, and non-expert use issues. Ultimately, my long-term goal is to bring future models in this direction:
  • Move input and intermediate (and even summary?) data out of Excel and into a database of some kind
  • Leave most or all of the actual math to a program dedicated to querying the DB and performing calculations for summarization
  • The ability to actually read model underpinnings (basically anything that can help me visualize data relationships)
  • Flexibility when it comes to model improvements
  • In the long run, the ability to package the model and build a simple GUI so non-analysts can use it.
Can MATLAB or Python get me there? What I'm finding is that Excel sucks at storing large amounts of data within its program and showing relationships in a simple way. I don't understand why it's even used for anything but small projects.

I've been considering this, though replacing VBA with Powershell. I'm worried that in the next couple years, MS is going to completely phase out VBA in favor of Powershell, and I'm looking down the line. Still, there's nothing I can really do about my current project; it's a bloated, half-broken mess of a model built by two different staff, each writing it for a different purpose, and both leaving before I could talk with them about it.

I have a buddy who works in genomics that uses Python a lot, I'll also pick his brain. Thanks for your help so far.

Sounds like you'd be best suited by creating an Excel Add-in. Just pull out the functionality you want from your Excel sheet and stick it in the add-in. You can then reference the add-in wherever, to access functions to calculate whatever, or pull information from a database, etc. Plenty of tutorials online for creating add-ins as well.

• Locked thread