Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I'm a law school student right now and I have a firm interview coming up. It's a large firm that handles a lot of M&A work. Since the two professions are pretty intimately connected, I was wondering if I could get some of your thoughts on what lawyers could do to better meet company-side needs. Or framed less positively, what do attorneys do that really piss you off and frustrate your business.

I'd like to know for interview fodder and to not embarrass myself in case I do get the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Admirable Gusto posted:

Basically lawyers (and this is more of a partner-level thing) need to thread that fine line between allowing the bankers as much leeway as possible to find common ground to get a deal done, and being conservative enough to protect their clients if the poo poo hits the fan. It's tough to find that balance.

As a junior level lawyer, your job is to turn the asset purchase agreement over the winter break while the bankers send you emails from Los Cabos to the effect that they don't like the language in the reps and warranties section and could you please fix it thanks in advance

e> attention to detail

Thanks, I have no interest in being a deal lawyer. Companies treat deal lawyers like the fat kid their mom made them invite to the sleepover. Hopefully, I'd be working in their antitrust litigation division, but I still have to do work on the prevention side as well which is why I asked.

Your description of a junior transactional lawyer is extremely accurate though. We had a V10 partner come in to talk about complex deals. He answered a question about the work as a junior by saying (verbatim), "Haha, If a client tells you to do it, you'll do it. And you damned better love to do it and do it well or the only thing you'll do is due diligence until we decide to fire you. To answer your question, don't say no to a client... ever." :smith:

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Thoogsby posted:

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of asset-backed/distressed lending? I'm in the final round for an analyst program at one of the major banks and I'd love to talk to someone who might be more knowledgeable than myself. It seems like a niche area of finance but the skill-set you develop seems like it would be transferable and the work could potentially be very interesting.

Well, if you're drawing completely dead I'm a law student and all my practical experience has been in bankruptcy. One of my recent classes was a few i-bankers coming in and talking about their role in the process. I'm assuming you're talking about a group that specializes in DIP lending and that kind of thing?

• Locked thread