Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roflcopter thief
Nov 22, 2007
¿por que no te callas?
I am soon going to be graduating college, having majored in Physics and minored in Math. My in-major GPA is somewhere around a 3.6 or 3.7, with my general GPA around 3.4-3.5. I am fluent in 3 languages (looks good on a resume?), and am the president of my school's Society of Physics Students.

Would it be better to look into a master's program, given my status? I know next to nothing about finance right now, but I would be willing to sit down daily at the library and read books until I've taught myself what a typical undergraduate majoring in Finance would learn.

What are my chances of successfully breaking into banking/finance? I suppose I should mention I go to a not very well-known state (research) university.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roflcopter thief
Nov 22, 2007
¿por que no te callas?

Its Miller Time posted:

Going to be a little more negative. You don't go to a target school (a school where recruiters come to you), your GPA is low and would probably disqualify you at a target school, and you want a full-time job without any prior internships or summers in banking or finance in general. In this economy this isn't going to cut it. You're fortunate in that you're more attractive to employers then a liberal-arts major, and have the background to do an additional set of more quantitative finance jobs. If you're not going to stick to physics, I'd look into getting into real estate or wealth management in some analytical capacity if you want to get a job straight of college in the business realm. There's also masters in finance and financial engineering if you want to spend some more time in school, but others early in the thread have said the job market is rough there too.
OK, thanks for the tip. Really, any way to break into Wall Street would be nice, it wouldn't have to specifically be in investment banking. I'll look into wealth management. Any other advice?

• Locked thread