Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
econdroidbot
Mar 1, 2008

AS USELESS AS A HAT FULL OF BUSTED ASSHOLES
My understanding of high finance is weak at best, so forgive me if my ignorance leads this post astray.

I've tried to cobble together an understanding of the most recent financial collapse by reading a few books and a couple of articles here and there. One of the main culprits seems to be misapplying concepts from physics or other academic fields(such as Brownian motion, which one book harped on), which don't really hold up within the world of investments because investments don't behave the same way as natural phenomena. Has there been a drive to develop new fundamental theories that don't suffer from the same shortcomings?

Do you guys really use excel that extensively? What if you need a crosstab? What excel commands do you use now that you didn't use before you started your job?

Finally, this is a purely subjective comment. I've gleaned from this thread and from people I know in the industry that most of you guys and gals are pretty miserable. Is this just a symptom of the industry, where the first few years are meat grinders where people can prove their mettle? Is it all about the cash? Seems like a pretty rotten way to go through life, regardless of the money involved. Again, this is just anecdote mixed with opinion. No offense intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

econdroidbot
Mar 1, 2008

AS USELESS AS A HAT FULL OF BUSTED ASSHOLES

Thoogsby posted:

The U.S. involvement in Libya is absolutely going to gently caress my life up. Looking forward to working an 18 hour day tomorrow.

Hahhaa, this is exactly the kind of self-centered response I expected from this thread. How could those selfish Libyans do this to you?!

Joking aside, can you give me an idea of how such an event impacts your day to day? I assume now there's uncertainty in the oil market and such, and you need to update your positions accordingly. What other stuff do you need to do or consider?

• Locked thread