Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSherpa
Mar 3, 2008
IBD analyst with experience in technology and consumer groups (consumer group needed help yesterday and I volunteered because they moved me out to SF in corporate housing for a couple months). Currently in the process of moving into sell-side research at the same bank because I'm more interested in the markets than pitch books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSherpa
Mar 3, 2008

ReD_XIII posted:

Hey, I am a freshman at Drexel University majoring in Business admin concentrating in finance. I am a very driven person, graduated salutatorian of my high school, and have already gotten into a very selective and unique student organization. I am loving college and enjoying myself plenty.

At Drexel I get to go on co-op 3 times and was hoping to get hired by an investment bank like Blackrock, Goldman, or SIG each time. After I graduate, would I be better off pursuing an MBA at Wharton, or just applying right away for a job in the investment banking industry? I have a lot of spare credits because I came into college with a lot of AP and transfer credits from a college I attended part time in high school. Should I double major with economics and minor in math or computer science? I am not going to lie, I want to make a lot of money and do so using my intellect. I was hoping that people already in the investment banking industry would be able to give me pointers on what or what not to do. I figured that because I am still a freshman, I have a lot of time to enact your advice compared to some other people who have asked. Thank you for any help.

Blackrock isn't an investment bank, its an asset management firm.

Do NOT go straight to get your MBA, it will be a huge mistake that you will regret. Anyone that says it's a good idea has zero clue.

If your truly that smart, transfer schools. Drexel sucks, and is probably one if the worst schools in the Philly area. Go to UPenn/Nova if you want to stay in Philly or transfer to an ivy league school.

TheSherpa
Mar 3, 2008

Omerta posted:

I'm a law school student right now and I have a firm interview coming up. It's a large firm that handles a lot of M&A work. Since the two professions are pretty intimately connected, I was wondering if I could get some of your thoughts on what lawyers could do to better meet company-side needs. Or framed less positively, what do attorneys do that really piss you off and frustrate your business.

I'd like to know for interview fodder and to not embarrass myself in case I do get the job.

I know many first year analysts who poo poo on Partners at top law firms. Lawyers are literally bankers bitches, and are honestly there because compliance makes them be. poo poo flows downhill, and downhill are lawyers and BO guys. I was always nice, but I never really let the stress get to me fwiw.

For short, avoid law, especially if you have to deal with bankers.

TheSherpa
Mar 3, 2008

Swingline posted:

A senior acquaintance of mine just got offered a job at Bain in Boston right out of undergrad. I didn't ask about the details. He mentioned 75k starting +150k bonus or something so I assume it's not back office. He's kind of an all-star here in terms of running multiple student organizations but I heard his GPA is pretty average (3.6-3.7 range). I imagine he aced the interviews though with how outgoing and charismatic he is.

150k bonus is a lie just FYI.

TheSherpa
Mar 3, 2008

Its Miller Time posted:

Anyone here use Bloomberg regularly? Just got my hands on it and want to know how to do cool poo poo, like look at Greece's debt profile.

Hit Help twice and ask them anything you want.

TheSherpa
Mar 3, 2008

tolerabletariff posted:

As far as I can tell, online apps don't even get looked at. You really only have a chance if you network and get your resume to the right people.

My buddy landed at Wells IB through a web app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSherpa
Mar 3, 2008

tolerabletariff posted:

Barclays got their numbers Wednesday. Friend wasn't too forthcoming (but he might be reserved about that kind of thing) so it was hard-to-read.

My bank's numbers come out next week. We've been absolutely killing it this year so I'm very interested to see what peoples' reactions look like... I want to ask but it's not really my place.

Barcap 60-80-100 mid range.

RBCs numbers on DB for top seem high or they have a ridiculously wide range. I've heard 55-70-90.

I wonder how much numbers change between cities.

• Locked thread