Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

So I somehow landed a gig in an MM private equity firm fresh out of uni with a degree in pol science and economics. The only real experience I've had with excel was a lone stats unit 3 years ago where we had to construct pivot tables. Any good resources to speed up my excel workflow? Had my mind blown yesterday when someone, demonstrating something, hit a bunch of keys to change loving text alignment

Youtube excel videos seem to be uniformly narrated by people with near-unintelligible accents, or speaking as if afraid that they might wake someone up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

tolerabletariff posted:

This is patently untrue. I know at least six associates who have done this--and by "know" I mean they're either good friends or people I worked closely with. I guarantee if I started Googling people from around the bank at least half of the names I remember will be on buyside "Team" pages. Yeah, lateraling into a top-tier PE fund isn't likely since they tend to be a little more structured with recruiting, but pretty much everyone besides the Blackstones and KKRs of the world is going to be interested in banking associates with a solid modelling skillset and the ability to think critically1. poo poo, a PE fund poached an entire vertical from my group, two Associates, a VP and an MD all at once, and several other VPs (and at least one other MD) I worked with also made similar moves. I know a couple other guys who went from being IB associates to hedge funds, including some of the big names--for example Och Ziff, back when it was, y'know, solvent.2

One of elementary school (lmao) classmates went from a literal 2nd year (well closer to 3 but who's counting) analyst at Goldman to KKR

Probably partly attributable to our country not being as competitive as UK or US yet enough of a financial center to have both Goldman and KKR though

• Locked thread