Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend
What are good ways of understanding whether finance is a good career choice, and specifically, what department within finance is a good fit (M&A, S&T, PE, etc.)?

I did my undergrad in Computer Engineering and spent the last four years working as a software engineer. I'm starting a T20 MBA program this fall and am looking at switching into investment banking. I've read Monkey Business and Liar's Poker, and while they're good at giving the feel of the profession, I want to know if there are any hands on ways of seeing if it's for me.

I'm taking financial modeling and accounting clases on Coursera and am looking into buying one of the self-study coursers on WallStreetPrep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend

Time posted:

What are your thoughts on staying up until 5 am on a Sunday modeling FCF for a business that won't even read your analysis?

I've always found doing mindless and repetitive work soothing.

coffeetable posted:

Are you getting into finance because you have a particular interest in finance, or are you just looking to stack cash?

Because if it's the latter, then as a software dev there are easier and cheaper ways for you to do that than an MBA.

I'm bored of working in software dev, and wanted to look into other fields that attract quant-focused self-hating individuals.

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend
Sorry for the confusion - I don't expect an MBA to help me get a quant role - I wanted to know sort of sell-side advisory roles are available to fresh MBA-graduate associates and what are the key differences between them.

• Locked thread