Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Vexxal posted:

So I'm a high school student (A year left before I start college) and this career greatly interests me for the following reasons:
-maths is as much a hobby to me as anything else
-i'm quite happy to work 100 hours a week
-i like the idea of constantly worrying about how the stocks are going to go
-some (possibly psuedo) science about a high dopamine personality and how it's good for investment banking
-infinite room for progress
-new york looks awesome
-that motherfucking bell i always see on CNN

I am in the process of looking up more, but basically, I'm Irish, so going to ivy league/Oxbridge/LSE etc. will be hard. I think oxbridge will be impossible because it's too late for me to do the STEP test ( an aptitude test required for mathematics)
But I can still go to trinity college dublin which is about 50th worldwide (15th for maths, better then a couple of ivy league colleges) and UCD (second best in ireland but not so highly ranked. Would either of these be good enough? What if I got a first class honour in something like Maths and Economics or "management science and information systems studies" (basically a mix of finance, programming business, economics, mathematics, quantitative analysis and personal skills. it's almost as if it was made for IB'ing eh?) as well as taking active part in societies, and being on the school swim team, and hopefully getting a foundation scholarship (best ~20 students in the college) would I have a shot ? As I said, I'd love to be able to go to new york. afaik there arent any front office investment banking roles in Dublin.
My main question is: based on the sliver of information you have about me, would it be suitable? Which of these college courses would be best:
Maths and economics in trinity college dublin
Management science and information system studies in trinity college dublin
Actuarial and financial studies in the less prestigious UCD

Thanks in advance! And it's two o clock at night where I am so sorry if my post is poorly constructed

Oxford doesn't require STEP, you should be able to apply in September. There's a separate application exam for math that's on the website. I don't think IB firms particularly care about degree types, but they care a lot about leadership roles in university clubs and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Vexxal posted:

Is the presitigious uni worth the debt? keep in mind irish third level is free and trinity is ranked 15th in the world for maths

The difference between Oxford and the rest is that by the time you hit 2nd year in Oxford everyone's already done 80% of a 4 year undergrad and the 3rd is basically master's level courses. And there are a lot of employers who recruit primarily out of Oxford and Cambridge. In the recruitment season there is a bank presentation virtually every day.

If nothing else apply apply apply, you can always back out if you don't want to go.

• Locked thread