Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
I'm a little bit confused! I somehow ended up with a bunch of interviews at various I banking places. I don't have a very serious quant or finance background and was pretty open about this. So I have a couple questions.

First: I don't think I want to do I banking long term, but I would like ~2 years of business experience somewhere which will give my résumé a solid boost and let me go on to other things. Which firms will do this? A few of them are within the top 10-25 range on Vault -- does that generally mean they will be a good brand name to have? They aren't Goldman or whatever, but I don't know how quickly prestige drops off. Some of the others seem to be very competent but less well known boutiques -- 20-50 people, about half of which used to have big positions at very famous banks. Are these at all worthwhile for résumé building? I don't really care about compensation (actually it looks like small firms pay more anyways), but I do not want to waste two years doing something which just makes me look like an also-ran. I'd really like to end up either at a start up or a consultancy after this time.

Second: What the gently caress does an interview like this even entail? How much of a crash course in finance do I need to give myself in the next week? They seem open to non-finance (apparently), but then again, I have no idea what this poo poo entails.

Basically I'm trying to figure out how much time I should take off from doing case interviews to give myself an OK shot, and if doing so is even worth it at all. Sorry if this seems shallow or stupid, I really know very little about this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

J4Gently posted:

I can speak to the small firm opportunity ( I work at a 50 person PE firm) .
You can think of the huge well know firms (Blackstone, Goldman etc..) as the Harvards and Whartons of the world. Working at one of those places will open doors, you will get interviews and people will give you the benefit of the doubt as far as being a finance badass.

Small firms however have their own benefits:
Work in multiple areas
Work on deals sooner
Greater exposure to executives
Opportunity to rise quickly
Work life balance is a little better after a few years... maybe
Pay is still great
Better chance to get points on the deals

Small firms negatives:
Less prestige transfer to different industries
Less stability of dealflow can be a feast of famine of activity
Cap on compensation due to smaller asset base (Massive shops have a much bigger pie to cut up)
Excel models only smell slightly of cedar, not mahogany :(

Either way you are going to be worked hard large or small firm, you will not be wasting two years, you can use that time to get some real deal experience which will give you experience and a track record to use in consulting or that start-up you want. Also you will have some great connections

Thanks, this was really helpful (as was the previous comment). I think I will definitely be doing a crash course prior to these interviews so I at least have a fighting chance.

My dilemma is that right now I do have Harvard on my résumé, and I don't want to look like the Harvard kid who wasn't able to get an equally prestigious job post-college. My alternatives, if consulting doesn't work out, would be grad school (probably a masters) at another big name uni. Given my ultimate goals, I'm not sure which would be a better idea, but I suppose there is no point thinking about it until later on.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

I just got a Mac and the punctuation options are exciting ok!?

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

J4Gently posted:

Well to be honest the H bomb is what is probably helping you get those interviews, I wouldn't worry so much about prestige it's not like you are going from Harvard to work at the Gap for two years. Prestige is about transferred perception and is second to work history as time goes on. In the long run as you move up the ranks that Harvard degree isn't going to mean anything if you haven't gone in and kicked rear end and shown that YOU are elite in the real world.

So worry a little less about perception and more about where you will get opportunities to shine, where will you learn the most, where you will get opportunity and where you will kick the most rear end.

And just for reference PE/IB firms big and small tend to attract elite school people. The small(~50) firm I work at has 4 HBS folks and is about 50% top tier elite schools.

Ah, that's reassuring. Being around prestige obsessed people all the time can warp your perspective.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Made it to final round for an M&A focused i-bank! :yotj:

Anyone have advice on how to prepare? I'm assuming it is a barrage of cases + fit interviews, from what I've inferred. I've been doing a lot of case interview practice, mental math, and reading through M&A reports by places like Lazard. Is there anything which would be particularly efficient for preparing here?

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Trip report: the interview went pretty OK. Big issue was that they don't believe I'm interested in M + A. Tried to convince them otherwise, but we will see. Also, I don't get why so much mental math needs to be involved in these interviews. It's literally just stuff like 234x23 or whatever. This doesn't seem like a particularly relevant skillset w/r/t working in a bank.

Also I realized I forgot about the "bonus" section of salaries on Glassdoor -- holy poo poo why would any 1st year analyst deserve ~$160k?

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

bam thwok posted:

They make you earn it. This is why you have to love this poo poo more than your family and friends.

The sad thing is that I'm applying to other jobs with almost the same hours (80-90 hour work weeks) with 1/3 the pay. WTF world.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

shensterz posted:

Class of 2014 FT coming in. Anyone else going to be starting in NYC next summer?

Looks likely! I would say we should meet up but I've been told what the hours are so lol.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Bobx66 posted:

Anyone know of recruiting firms that focus on private equity?

You mean, firms that are still recruiting which do PE?

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

tolerabletariff posted:

There are a ton, there's a spreadsheet floating around (just ask other analysts) called "buyside headhunters" or something that has maybe 40 listed with notes on what shops use them, how good, contact info, etc.haven't seen it in a few months but it's somewhere.

If anyone tracks this down, I'd love a PM about it. Probably not doing i banking, but I have a ton of friends who do and are super into buy side for w/e reason.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Ravarek posted:

I have a rather silly question:

So I've been out of school for a few years now (undergrad finance major) and currently working at a financial regulatory institution. I'm thinking I want to explore the wonderful world of i-banking and all the stress that comes with it. Given that I'm already in the workforce and not from a particularly prestigious school, would it be crazy of me to gun for an Analyst position at an i-bank?

Wouldn't the usual transition be to a compliance position?

(I have no advice, just curious)

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

crazypeltast52 posted:

This thread has been quiet for a while.

How about that Cerberus and Safeway deal?

Please refer to all future deals not in dollar values but in #'s of Whatsapps.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Crossposting this link with a question I had about people's thoughts on internship compensation: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611337&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post427412683 . Especially, why hedge funds seem to pay more at the entry level etc than i banking, in my anecdotal experience, when they are also usually more selective + desired.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Hypation posted:

I have a problem calling that part of investment banking at all. That is trading. And the traders (prop-traders) hosed up the reputations of investment banks and it was they who blew them up as well. ...

Not that a decent amount of investment banking isn't basically just a way to make firm's prop trading less risky and more profitable.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Hypation posted:

Investment banking is purely advisory in its nature. This means M&A advice and advice in relation to and arranging to deal in securities. This amounts to 1% to 5% of an investment bank's revenues. I used to have this mapped out on a slide but its out of date now.

Inside the "Investment banking division" is non investment banking activities such as securities dealing from activities such as book-running (which is sell side trading) and underwriting (which is proprietary trading) but these are not investment banking activities.

What happens is that since bookrunning and underwriting is way more profitable than M&A or capital markets' advisory work the investment bankers offer these latter trading services because the skillsets to do them are essentially the same. Also the relationship is with the same corporate "client". So investment banking is the loss leader used to provide free / discounted advice to secure mandates for underwriting / bookrunning / other trading services.

I'm talking about capital market advising which has the net effect of benefiting the investment bank's other trades. E.g. this division of Goldman effectively worked to create hedges for their own trading: http://www.goldmansachs.com/what-we-do/investment-banking/services/financing.html. I think actions like that did a lot of damage to investment banking's image on their own.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Hypation posted:

Ah OK. Advising someone to do X when you already have a prop trading position that benefits from X. Yes. that happens all the time. Banks have the conflicts of interest and most of the time they are 'managed' but there is very substantial amounts of steerage in terms of advising one capital structure over another or distribution structure over another based on their trading abilities.

In these sorts of derived benefits there always is a net benefit to trading - you can always show the link to how trading benefited. The catch is showing that the advice provided would have been any different had the benefit not been there. This is made harder by the fact that IB engagement letter expressly require the IB client to acknowledge conflicts of interest exist and require them to provide liability waivers against them.

I am still amazed that anyone would hire an investment bank to provide advice.

I really feel like boutique investment banks should be used more. I came really close to working for one before deciding I banking wasn't for me, and they seemed much better at representing client interests w/ sector exclusivity + no prop trading etc.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Is there a decent way into pe from consulting besides MBA? I'd rather not do one but it's startin to seem like venture capital would be my best bet.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

tbp posted:

The Michael Lewis book is harshing my buzz. I haven't read it yet but I feel I've heard all the arguments against hft before, anyone read it?

I find it quite rich that GS is condemning HFT rules as well

I'd love to get a crack working on algorithmic trading myself it seems really interesting

Flash boys? I feel like hft no longer gives advantages since everyone has gotten good at it so the big margins are gone. Also ppl mistake market making for hft...

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Oh also also trading is so doable if you have mediocre python knowledge and a small amount of $ you don't mind losing. It's a good intro.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
E: ok so robinhood (the brokerage) is definitely making money off market making but masquerading as something else. Not too different from others I guess.

semicolonsrock fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 21, 2014

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Someone should collect these posts for the op.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

crazypeltast52 posted:

Do we have the change our Snapchat prices to Beats prices now?

Personally I'm going to start a vc w the thesis that more offensive undergrad emails = higher valuation.

I feel like beats is more of a typical luxury goods case?

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
What do people like for review of financial modeling + valuation techniques? I've always used Damodaran's stuff to learn it, but wouldn't mind a more succinct summary.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Wear business casual...

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Original name guy posted:

Does anyone have any advice for trying to break into this field as a community college student? I was in the military and got out but had poo poo grades in high school so i knew i couldn't go straight to a good school. I'm worried that going to a community college is a death sentence since i most likely cant get an internship anywhere while im at one, and i believe a lot of top schools look unfavorably on CC student transfers. The only thing i feel like i have going for me on an app is that i mentor old people on how to manage their finances through a community outreach thing.

Also wondering if what is the best degree for this business out of finance/EE/CS. I imagine finance is but i just feel like EE/CS might actually be better for analytic stuff even if you have less excel experience as a baseline.

TLDR; will a 4.0 at CC and some community service be enough to have a good shot at making a path to IB somehow?

I think that transferring to finish your degree probably makes the most sense, if possible. With a 4.0 I imagine you have some pretty solid possibilities. I banking is pretty into credentials unfortunately (but also into the military!).

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
-could take three years by doing half a semester two years. Not sure that's great, but an idea.

- what state are you in? Some have very clear paths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Basically every job in business is good for economics and stats majors :)

Just find what you're interested in!

• Locked thread