Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I have the opportunity to transfer into a finance program at Northeastern, Wake Forest, Villanova and Miami(OH). Am I right for leaning towards Northeastern? My only criteria are what school will give me the best shot at breaking into ibanking and which gives me the best shot at a top tier MBA program.

My grades are perfect I have 5 years military service including leadership in combat and a Purple Heart. I'm not sure that affects what school I should go to but I'm just putting it all out there. Any input is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I'm still an undergrad so I can't help with anything actually banking related but I am an expert on the transfer process. I went to a community college for 2 years before transferring and my only goal the entire time was to "get on the path". I ended up applying to 34 schools all around the country last spring.

Are you willing to leave your state? What are your grades like? Extracurriculars? How many credit hours do you already have? Work history?

If all of that is strong you have an outside shot at getting into some schools with clout. If you are willing to move then you only need one to take a chance on you so play the numbers and shotgun out aps like a full time job. I relocated from Texas to Boston for an opportunity because it was the best option I got into.

It's all about how far you are willing to go to make this happen. Play up the underdog story thing. Be an amazing interview. Write, re-write, re-re-write your essays. Be interesting. Take risks with your ap questions. It's an odds game so work it like one. You only need one school at the Georgetown/Duke/NYU tier or above to say yes.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Blackula69 posted:

What are some of the job titles where it's less Excel and more Word and Powerpoint?

Summer analyst.

To seriously answer your question--Honestly the quantitative stuff in most groups is basic algebra. There are obviously exceptions where the math and theory is more complex but for the most part the hard part of the job is just learning the job. And the grind.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

skystream92 posted:

I'm someone who has no background at all in finance and I am interested in breaking into I-banking. I will be attending B-school at Kellogg this coming fall. Any suggestions on some personal reading/learning I can do between now and school start in August? Are there any good books to start learning the financial skills needed for I-banking?

http://www.amazon.com/Investment-Banking-Valuation-Leveraged-Acquisitions/dp/1118656210

This and the two prep courses online will get you 80% there.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

So I somehow landed a gig in an MM private equity firm fresh out of uni with a degree in pol science and economics. The only real experience I've had with excel was a lone stats unit 3 years ago where we had to construct pivot tables. Any good resources to speed up my excel workflow? Had my mind blown yesterday when someone, demonstrating something, hit a bunch of keys to change loving text alignment

Youtube excel videos seem to be uniformly narrated by people with near-unintelligible accents, or speaking as if afraid that they might wake someone up

He probably used an alt-H-ac or whatever. Hit alt to see what the available shortcuts are for what you want to do. Look up a sheet that has all the shortcuts you need that are faster than alt functions and then use them for the rest. Then literally unplug your mouse and do that for a bit

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I...don't know. You have to be good to get hired there, but it seems like firms won't want attention that comes with hiring you, maybe. If that's the only exit you have into the buyside it is going to be hard to say no. Plus you can work in the new glass and steel fortress he is building as a gently caress you to the city

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

ProSlayer posted:

What are good ways of understanding whether finance is a good career choice, and specifically, what department within finance is a good fit (M&A, S&T, PE, etc.)?

I did my undergrad in Computer Engineering and spent the last four years working as a software engineer. I'm starting a T20 MBA program this fall and am looking at switching into investment banking. I've read Monkey Business and Liar's Poker, and while they're good at giving the feel of the profession, I want to know if there are any hands on ways of seeing if it's for me.

I'm taking financial modeling and accounting clases on Coursera and am looking into buying one of the self-study coursers on WallStreetPrep.

What are your thoughts on staying up until 5 am on a Sunday modeling FCF for a business that won't even read your analysis?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I think he's trying to steer him into an actual quant role instead of sellside advisory with that series of questions. The hardest part there is going to be getting in the door but an MBA doesn't help with those shops either

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The best way to get real quant work is to have a PHD or have been an IB analyst with a math or CS degree. You either jump in after you graduate or when you are 24 and too good at math to stay at your bank.

There are actually a ton of paths but these are the main ways I have seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
S&T don't

IB associate, its fine. See what banks recruit from your school and in what numbers. Then see where associates exit to and if those jobs seem good to you. Or see if the VPs like their jobs. As an associate it's going to be almost impossible to lateral to the buyside so you are looking at IB for at least enough years to bring deals to the table or exiting to Corp Dev.

• Locked thread