Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm currently working on my bachelors in economics and will be done in about a year. I am just now committed to the idea of working in finance. You're supposed to get work experience before you get your MBA, but I'm interested in getting a master's in finance or even wealth management, does the same rule apply? I haven't really been grooming myself for a career in the field--I currently work in mortgage banking and have mediocre grades because I've been focusing more on the job. What's going to be my best avenue getting my foot in the door after undergrad? I'm not necessarily married to the idea of working for an investment bank, stuff like private equity and hedge fund operations are all interesting to me as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I am pretty good at and really enjoy excel modeling--econometrics has been my favorite class I've taken so far. I did apply for the summer analyst position at GS in October, made it through two rounds of interviews and was let down gently after the field day they had at their building. I'm kicking myself now for not taking that more seriously but at the time it was just an opportunity I had, I thought it would be cool to work for Goldman for a summer, actually making a career of finance hadn't occured to me. After meeting the people and hearing about the day to day type of work I kind of got bitten and I am as sure as I can be that the industry is for me.

The crux of what I'm asking is this: to what extent is working in finance for finance majors? Goldman had a bunch of people from different educational backgrounds but I almost got the feeling it was a diversity parade rather than indicative of industry demographics as a whole. What type of jobs should I as an Econ major be looking for that will ease my transition into either grad school or an analyst desk? I was pretty confident for a while that my current job would be a huge plus/easy in (there aren't many 23 year olds who have been involved with mortgages as long as I have) but the more I've learned the more I realize that it's not even the same ballpark.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm a broker at a big discount brokerage and I really hate it a lot. I thought it would be a good stepping stone to maybe working at a boutique financial services company but I'm worried my current job won't be as good as I thought for making the move. I need to get out of this glorified call center, what're my best options

VVV
bachelor's in economics and plenty of work experience but in the mortgage industry. Been in my current position for under a year

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 11, 2017

• Locked thread