Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
So which PE Firms or Hedge Funds do real estate? Is it pretty much hopeless to try to find a job outside of Manhattan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Miller!

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Thoogsby posted:

Personally I would rather work a 110 hour week with people I like than a 40 hour week with people I hate.

I have a friend at my school that did his SA at Goldman Sachs in IBD in one of their top groups and he said the senior bankers have such sharp elbows that the whole analyst/associate pool is poisoned with a terrible attitude and nature towards each other. He ended up getting the offer but ended up switching to Morgan Stanley for full-time because the people were significantly better. He's still going to be working over 100 hours a week and the money is still ludicrous but it will be a much better experience.

110 hours is more time than I spend at home with my wife. You better love the people you would work with.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Can I see which insiders sold FB stock and how much? I know Zuck had to file an SEC statement but I'm curious to know if that's just because he is an officer/owns 10%. I'd like to see exactly which employees sold what. Is this possible?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

crazypeltast52 posted:

Met with an MD who leads the regional valuation practice for one of the global commercial real estate firms (JLL, CBRE). It sounds like it would be an appraisal role, so the field time would be useful when I've settled down and looking to buy some land in a couple decades. I've also talked with the property manager of one of my CBD's Class A+ skyscrapers, which also seems like an interesting path, although more on the operations side (ewwww, ops, I know, thank god this isn't wso haha). I've also talked with a few brokers, tenant/landlord reps and the whole industry all seems interesting, but also really compartmentalized.

Yeah, property management is probably one of the tougher paths to go down and it is extremely difficult to get your foot in the door. Plus you are dealing with tenants, and property managers certainly don't get paid enough to deal with tenants.

In finance you are going to find that every single lender is looking to expand their CMBS origination team right now and the rating agencies are also hiring. In the back office, I am seeing a ton of asset management and loan administration jobs right now which might be your best bet for entering the finance side of CRE.

Valuation is a great place to start in and the experience can pay off in later tracks in finance or acquisitions. Its also helpful that alot of the valuation firms also have advisory services across the whole spectrum.

Brokerage is probably the quickest way to earning enough to invest on your own, but its also the quickest way to burn out. Very low barriers to entry, you are assured to get a position. but you can expect to earn zero dollars for your first 12-18 months. Although there are firms that will pay a salary, you will need a proven track record before they pick you up.

Real estate is its own world, it is a bit compartmentalized but once you have experience it is a bit easier to jump around. A major advisory firm is a great place to start if you think you want to try your hand at more than one job in the industry.

You asked for advice in interviews, how can I help?

Bobx66 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 1, 2013

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

crazypeltast52 posted:

Thanks! I was offered the choice of Friday or next Tuesday and I have a couple projects at my current job that need attention all day Friday so I bought myself a weekend to prep.

Should I be worrying about inter/intra lease discount rates with a finance degree and a construction background? Also how can I answer a question on a non-stabilized property, just say "Use a DCF" and walk through it like a regular finance interview on DCFs? I can almost talk about "going dark" clauses, and how Walmart just doesn't have them because they are Walmart. At the same time, I live in the city with Target's HQ so I know they own almost all of their land and can wax eloquent on Ackmann's proxy battle over the creation of a Target REIT. Differences between N, NN and NNN should also be stuff I should probably know, right?

What line of real estate does the company work within? I would say that anything other than a triple net is very uncommon but it couldn't hurt to learn the differences. Non-stabilized buildings aren't that tricky, but remember that there are two huge costs associated with leasing up space, a leasing commission and tenant improvements, this combined with rent abatements are the largest dollar items in acquiring new commercial tenants. When looking at a financial statement for a building make sure you understand what is going on in the revenue line, Net Rent Potential is modified by vacancy, rent abatements and write offs.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

crazypeltast52 posted:

It's one of the big firms, JLL/CBRE/Colliers/CushmanWakefield, so it will probably be multi-family, office, industrial and retail. I know retail sales kickers can exist past a certain sales per square foot threshold to align the retail leasing manager's interests with those of the tenant. Presumably someone like Apple would be able to say no to that in a contract, but someone with less clout would be stuck with it? Do Apple stores have the same influence as anchors in terms of concessions? The pecuniary interests of the owners, managers and tenants are all going to be important here, so there's going to be a huge "it depends" hanging over all that, but does it sound like I'm starting to think like a real estate guy?

So what kind of position is it? Obviously they have services across the whole spectrum from brokerage to derivative advisories. As far as the sales kickers goes, its referred to as percentage rent and like all lease terms, can be negotiated. If I were a tenant there is no way I would want to report my monthly sales to my landlord, but in some cases it is unavoidable, like in a mall for instance. Apple stores are essentially in a class of their own and therefore would probably have enormous sway and would be considered a credit tenant. Commercial leases are made for terms of at least 5 years, landlords have to vet each tenant to make sure they will be able to pay their rent for the entire term. You are definitely starting to sound like you are looking at this the right way, but of course negotiating the terms of leases is just a portion of the business.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

crazypeltast52 posted:

I'm not exactly sure what value an appraiser adds to a lender or buyer though, presumably someone putting their reputation and money on the line will be more motivated to correctly value a property than a third party appraiser? Or is this where being a giant firm that knows everything about the relevant real estate market comes into play? Also I would assume I'm mainly going to deal with the price side of transactions that I am involved in and probably won't see much of the sausage factory that is financing the deal.
First of all, congrats! Secondly, you are 100% correct in your assumption here. The appraiser knows the market, knows the recent transactions, and can provide an independent professional opinion as to value. I think that the licensing process is long for appraisers, but not nearly as tough as the series 7.

Are you working out of NYC?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
This issuance seems tiny compared to their total single family holdings. I wonder if they are just testing the waters.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Thoogsby posted:

I've been getting emails from headhunters pretty frequently for entry level stuff, would it be breaking some type of ethical code to post the firms or info they send me here? I probably wouldn't vouch for anyone I didn't know but at least it would let people know who's hiring.

Maybe you can post information about the recruiters themselves? That way anyone interested could reach out and get on their radar.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Who knows a good personal accountant in the city? Its time to move beyond turbotax.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Anyone know of recruiting firms that focus on private equity?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

semicolonsrock posted:

You mean, firms that are still recruiting which do PE?

Sorry no, I meant headhunters who do recruiting for private equity firms. Thanks Vilos.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
If anyone has it, I would also like to peruse it. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
New site:

http://www.boredbanker.com/

Based on the hackernews format.

• Locked thread