Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Whats my best path to a MFE if I had a low undergrad GPA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

BingoMcJiggles posted:

The job market is really bad for quants right now. Right now the market for structured products/OTC exotic products is pretty much dead. Regulators looking to push these things to the major trading exchanges means much lower profit margins.

Another problem is that schools are producing too many MFE graduates. Almost every MFE program in 2007/2008 had 100% placement, because admissions was really competitive. The top tier programs like Berkeley, CMU, NYU, etc would only admit about 70 students each. Second tier programs like Rutgers and Kent State would admit like 10 students a year. Now many of these schools have several different masters programs that are almost identical to their flagship MFE.

So whats the next best way to break into the industry while doing something analytical?

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Mandalay posted:

Is there literally nothing to work on during this time, or are you doing long-term projects? I find it hard to believe that you can work 14 hours a day at peak efficiency for a sustained period of time.

While I'm not in ibanking (yet) I've noticed no one "works" like you do in college when you trying to finish a huge project you put off so you work like 16 hours on a Saturday nonstop doing math/diagrams/writing/coding. Maybe like .01% of people can do that 5 days a week, most of the time work is some task that isn't very mentally demanding, presentations/meetings, waiting for other people to finish stuff for you to go through.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
How skilled are the programmers in a lot of MFE programs?

• Locked thread