Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Thoogsby posted:

Lew invented securitization, not MBS. Per All The Devils are Here (which everyone should read)

Passthroughs are wholly different than CMO's.

The Capitulator posted:

For what its worth, the couple of traders I semi-know got their quant skills through courses the company paid for. If I remember correctly, the one they did was a 3-day crammer by a local firm. Now, these guys aren't from Goldman or anything but the point is you can actually brush up your quant skills to an acceptable level fairly quickly and 'on the cheap' if you really want tp.

True quants are PhDs and usually do tons of programming. I'm not sure how you could pick that up in 3 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Fuschia tude posted:

Strange question (and I'm not quite sure I'm in the right thread): would doing this be a bad idea?

Do you like coding in C++?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Fuschia tude posted:

Yes!

It's not my favorite language, but I do have a bachelor's in CS.

Then it's something you should look into. I was just asking because being a quant is majority programming and not a lot of "investment banking" necessarily... some people have a different view, but if you really enjoy programming and want to work in finance it's worth the consideration. I have no opinion about the school though, sorry.

alex_carrigan posted:

Any of you have any opinions on Northwestern as a target school? I'm considering going there for a Bachelors in Economics. After that there's a certificate you can get for Financial Economics which would really be the only time I'd be going to Kellogg. I know Kellogg is right behind Wharton, Harvard, and all the top schools in terms of the prestige for their MBA program, but I don't know how well respected their undergrad program is. I'm looking at Business Institutions as a minor. My other option is UChicago which from what I hear is no better than NU and is an awful school to be at. If there's ever a big recruiting session at UChicago I could just drive there from NU, so I'm not really looking at it too hard.

Also, I know the GMAT takes months and months of studying, but can you get by on the studying without having a background? I'd like to take it before I start working on scholarships because that'd be a hell of a credential to have compared to all these kids fresh out of high school. Can you get by on just learning specifically for the test or is it too based on advanced concepts? Everything I've seen has indicated that there's no way I could learn everything for it in 6 months from where I sit now, but I wanted to hear the personal opinion of someone who's already taken it or knows a lot about it.

GMAT isn't that hard, and it's a standardized test so you don't need a "background." Don't take the GMAT in high school... scores pretty much expire in 5 years and you won't go to business school until you've worked a couple years. And I can't imagine any scholarships will care that you took the GMAT

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

If you bring your cotton shirts to the dry cleaners they typically just launder them and press them. You'd have to explicitly tell the guy to dry clean them. Much better than spending the time ironing them.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Thoogsby posted:

1) I think you're right. It could easily be solved with p/c parity if they had the same strike. You're probably wrong though because no finance professor has ever let a student off with a "not enough information" since the dawn of time.

2) Don't really understand what you're saying in your answer.

1) Assuming he had all the other info he could back out the implied volatility, recalculate with a put strike of 15. You'd have to assume the implied vol was the same across strikes (or the professor may have said that in the question.)

2) He didn't specify if it was a call or a put. If it was a call on a stock with a dividend he probably generated the tree in such a way that there was an early exercise point before the dividend. If it was a put it would have to be deep in the money. I've never heard of u > d as a reason for no exercise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Saint Celestine posted:

Ha, my bad, I didn't scroll that far up. It sounded a bit too good to be true, 70k+ a year, etc. So that pretty much confirmed my suspicions.

It's a sales job. If you're good at sales you could easily make way more than 70k. I've met basic life insurance salesman (think whole life) making 500k a year on trail commissions doing 0 work. It's not a sexy job though at all. That being said if you are actually good at sales you probably don't need to depend on your job for girls soooo. Although if you are actually really good at sales go into some other field because you have the best possible skill for the business world.

Vomik fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 2, 2012

• Locked thread