Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BingoMcJiggles
Dec 19, 2004
I just recently finished one of these MFE programs. I would not recommend it unless you can program and actually enjoy programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BingoMcJiggles
Dec 19, 2004

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

How are your job prospects?

Not that great as I'm still looking for a job at the moment. I’m trying to get into trading. The problem is most people don’t want to be quants after doing the program.

BingoMcJiggles
Dec 19, 2004

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

That is incredibly ironic considering most people enter wanting to become quants. I guess making term sheets for exotics all day isn't as riveting as people think it will be. I've gone through all of Wilmott's stuff and its certainly not something I'd ever want to do. Props to you for finishing.

If there is interest in trading, I have a US-based list of all upper tier trading shops (some prop, some MM) that I assembled over the years (although some lower level ones did sneak in). If any of you want it, send me a PM. I was able to get it down to 50 or so.

I'm in the market for new trading/capital market leads. I just got rejected today for a position I've been interviewing for since October, so I have to start over.

The job market is really bad for quants right now. Right now the market for structured products/OTC exotic products is pretty much dead. Regulators looking to push these things to the major trading exchanges means much lower profit margins.

Another problem is that schools are producing too many MFE graduates. Almost every MFE program in 2007/2008 had 100% placement, because admissions was really competitive. The top tier programs like Berkeley, CMU, NYU, etc would only admit about 70 students each. Second tier programs like Rutgers and Kent State would admit like 10 students a year. Now many of these schools have several different masters programs that are almost identical to their flagship MFE.

BingoMcJiggles
Dec 19, 2004

5436 posted:

Whats my best path to a MFE if I had a low undergrad GPA?

I would find a MFE program that you really want to go, and just take courses as a non degree student. Try to get at least a 3.6. Most of these programs will let you transfer the course credits you took as a non degree student to your masters if you're later admitted into the program.

• Locked thread