Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
f2a
Feb 17, 2005

the pound is stronger than the dolla, holla

AJzer posted:

Hey! Programmers over in the Cavern of COBOL have no idea what I'm talking about when I discuss deep excel financial models! Go figure...

So here's some questions for anyone using Excel for complex modeling: What do you do when your model gets too big for Excel? Specifically, I'm getting into some ridiculous lookup tables, nested conditionals 3 deep, and 100x5000 cell-count worksheets (x6) that just need to be pushed into a database.

So what kind of solutions are out there using MS products and/or free ones? The theoretical underpinnings for my needs are pretty basic: linear regression and simple algebra, so Excel can handle the manipulations and reporting just fine. It's breaking every formula when you need to make a small change, and waiting 30 minutes to load a Workbook that I'm hoping to change.

I'm more proficient with the theory than the tools, but I'm not afraid to learn some scripting (Powershell, possibly VB), basic SQL or Access use, etc. Any wonks out there have suggestions?

Looked at MATLAB? Failing that, Python with Numpy+SciPy is a very good (and free alternative). Both have more of a learning curve than Excel, but you get a lot more power and flexibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread