Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

blueblaze posted:

I'm sorry this is a vague question. But I have a friend who is a "Director" of Financial Products (I think) at a Canadian bank. How big of a deal is this?

I thought it was a big deal when I saw his card saying he was Vice President but he said his current position is higher up.

As Thoogsby said, it's the position between Managing Director (higher) and VP (lower). Some banks have it labeled as Exec Director. Its basically on the higher end of middle management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

Thoogsby posted:

It was technically the U.S. Government that invented the mortgage backed security, not bankers. The banks just took it and made it wildly profitable and wholly dangergous.

Lew Ranieri and Saloman disagree with you. Also (not directed at you), I find it pretty useless to try and assign blame for the crisis. Between the banks, the government, the (useless and corrupt) ratings agencies, and to a lesser extent the insurers every group played a crucial role, they were all enablers. Everyone made it worse, and everyone is at fault. It just seems like politicking to me to go much deeper than that.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

Thoogsby posted:

Lew invented securitization, not MBS. Per All The Devils are Here (which everyone should read)

True, but he also innovated them and was essentially the reason they became so widespread. If I recall, wasn't one of the major stumbling blocks the prepayment risk, which he got around by breaking them up into tranches?

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

Thoogsby posted:

Yes, but the tranching development is usually attributed to Larry Fink at First Boston who was the founder and current CEO of BlackRock.

You're right, its been a while since I read Liar's Poker, which I was trying to recall.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

Senphet posted:

Any new Analysts getting ready to go to NYC for training? Any thoughts from those who have been through it... I've heard it's relatively relaxed and just a good chance to meet people.

Just don't be this guy. Although everyone here did think it was hilarious.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

realqueenbetty posted:

So about what percentage of i-bankers -- in particular the Manhattan ones -- are as gross as the ones who comment on Dealbreaker posts?

Oh come on, I enjoyed: "Soveriegn wealth funds are not strict about CDO's, so if you have a fake you will be fine."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.
I plan on taking this moment to say "gently caress you Jon Corzine, and good riddance MF Global."

• Locked thread