Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leo
Oct 25, 2005

I'm going to be a summer analyst in NYC. I live about an hour away and would definitely prefer just to take the train in, but I've heard people tell me it's not a great idea. The hours in the group I'm working in shouldn't be too bad and I would save a ton of money. Any opinions? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

I go to a target ivy and I would say most BBs have pulled their apps and those who haven't have what looks like very limited openings in non-ideal groups. For reference, I had around 12 interviews before I chose my summer internship. It's almost October and I've had 3 interviews. As someone else mentioned, the BB where I interned is waiting a few months to decide whether to extend an offer to me.

Last year was completely different for FT. It's looking pretty bleak now.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Any advice as to asking for an extension on an offer deadline? They gave me three weeks but I'm also simultaneously hearing back from several other places about a week after that.

It's tough because they want me to fly out for a "welcome day" for people who received offers so I have to simultaneously schedule that as well.

I'm just not sure what the etiquette is for this I guess.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

You can find great deals on Park Avenues on eBay if you look around. They are basically the stock response for lace up cap-toes and the archetypical "dress shoe." You can't really go wrong.

That being said, I would definitely recommend getting two pairs of shoes for reasons beyond people potentially noticing. For one, they will begin to get pretty gross if you wear them every day. Dress shoes don't breathe very well and I assume you are going to be wearing them 12+ hours a day.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

For my internship last summer (NYC BB) I ended up putting a 5 for exemptions (normally a 1) and I still had a pretty large return. If you google it I think there are calculators that will tell you what's optimal.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

You shouldn't dry clean your typical cotton dress shirt. Cotton does much better being laundered and will last longer. You dry clean suits and ties because they are wool/silk.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

I just had my FT IB offer rescinded. I'm still in shock and not really quite sure what to do at this point. It was a boutique bank and more or less my dream job (as far analyst level goes).

It's a really strange feeling to go from juggling multiple offers while at a target school to having just graduated with absolutely no prospects or idea where to go from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

My GPA ended up being a few hundredths of a point below the requirement in the offer letter. I take full responsibility for that aspect of it, but I also received the offer having completely disclosed that my GPA was below the minimum and having had verbal confirmation (though clearly from the wrong person) that it was fine.

I feel incredibly dumb for not investigating it more or having had some kind of written modification to the offer.

• Locked thread