Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Josh Lyman posted:

I spent 5 years in a finance PhD program and my dissertation was on high frequency asset pricing but I left before finishing.

I'm afraid firms won't hire me because they could hire actual PhDs for quant work and MBAs for the other stuff. Is this fear justified?

FWIW, I also have a BS and MS in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Some places are snobby about it, but other places think of dropouts as a 'good deal'. As a (admittedly new) quant at a well-regarded fund, if I see a PhD on a resume then I'm gonna judge them on the work they did. Whether they actually finished is almost irrelevant.

If you've done quantitative work you're proud of, if you're a strong mathematician and if you're a decent software dev, then you should have no trouble finding somewhere. If you're missing one of those three things, then for quant work at least things might be trickier.

e: is there a buy-side thread around here

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Are you getting into finance because you have a particular interest in finance, or are you just looking to stack cash?

Because if it's the latter, then as a software dev there are easier and cheaper ways for you to do that than an MBA.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Well then, the next question is: are you any good at
  • probability
  • statistics
  • multivariable calculus
  • linear algebra
  • optimization
?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

^^ Yeah the follow up to that follow up was gonna be 'well an MBA ain't gonna help'

mike- posted:

Honestly, You don't have to be good at any of these things to work in investment banking. Especially on the m&a side.

You're right, pardon me. I read 'quant-focused' as meaning 'I want to be a quant', but she might not have meant it that way.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Gay Horney posted:

I'm a broker at a big discount brokerage and I really hate it a lot. I thought it would be a good stepping stone to maybe working at a boutique financial services company but I'm worried my current job won't be as good as I thought for making the move. I need to get out of this glorified call center, what're my best options

what's your education

• Locked thread