Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aki
Mar 7, 2006

I've just interviewed with a markets department at larger bank (Scandinavia) for an entry-level position. Now, I'm not really comfortable with IB jargon yet, so I'm wondering; is what is done in a capital markets or debt capital markets department generally denoted investment banking? What is the dominant sector of the IB industry?

Sorry for the dumb question, I never thought I'd work in a bank. I've majored in economics and have been thinking I want to work with analysis (I wanna save the world yada yada). Turns out the most straightforward path to becoming a macro analyst is through banking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aki
Mar 7, 2006

Thanks for answers both of you. Waiting for the call of confirmation (or not) today.

Mr. WTF posted:

One more vote, but in my view the debt capital markets work depends a lot on the specifics of what you are doing. That gets pretty close to more boring commercial banking work unless you are doing aggressive stuff. But even on the aggressive stuff you are much more often dealing with the CFO or treasurer at the client vs the CEO and board (ie M&A, equity offerings). Not always true, but moreso the case in general I think than ECM or M&A.

Ironically I'd also tell you given your interest in analysis...debt is the best place to be to do innovative financial structuring.
I don't think I'll end up in the Debt CM group though, I didn't really hit it off with that group manager. So I'll probably be doing (institutional) FI analysis or trading if I get the position.

• Locked thread