Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
:haw: Howdy and welcome to the Bluegrass, Old Time and Irish Trad thread! :haw:

03 May 2017: We recently expanded the OP to include information about Irish Traditional Music (Trad) - towards the bottom

02 Dec 2017: Check out this new thread on Mandolins!

Why should goons listen to bluegrass?

Shigeru Miyamoto posted:

It's really my personal hobby but I like American bluegrass. I love this type of music and listen to it a lot. I've found some band members and each year we attend a jamboree where several hundred people camp out for a few days and we have a large jam-session.

I've been playing for a few years after a lot of time on the guitar, and am really enjoying it. If you're curious about the banjo or bluegrass music, I could possibly answer a few questions but others have been chiming in regularly. This thread started off about just banjos (both Scruggs Style and Clawhammer), but has evolved into discussion about instruments in the style of Bluegrass. Including but not limited to:

Banjo
Mandolin
Resonator Guitar (Dobro)
Fiddle
Acoustic Guitar
Upright Bass

What is bluegrass?

Wiki says:

Bluegrass music is a form of American roots music, and is a sub-genre of country music. It has mixed roots in Scottish, English, Welsh and Irish traditional music. Bluegrass was inspired by the music of immigrants from the United Kingdom and Ireland (particularly the Scotch-Irish immigrants in Appalachia), and was influenced by the music of African-Americans through incorporation of elements of jazz.

In bluegrass, as in some forms of jazz, one or more instruments each takes its turn playing the melody and improvising around it, while the others perform accompaniment; this is especially typified in tunes called breakdowns. This is in contrast to old-time music, in which all instruments play the melody together or one instrument carries the lead throughout while the others provide accompaniment.

Breakdowns are often characterized by rapid tempos, and unusual instrumental dexterity and sometimes complex chord changes.

Bluegrass music has attracted a diverse and loyal following worldwide. Bluegrass pioneer Bill Monroe characterized the genre as: "Scottish bagpipes and ole-time fiddlin'. It's Methodist and Holiness and Baptist. It's blues and jazz, and it has a high lonesome sound."

Pickin Resources:

http://www.banjohangout.org/ - Banjo Hangout. “Main” destination site for banjo players
http://www.fiddlehangout.com/ - Fiddle Hangout – same
http://www.banjonews.com/index.html - Banjo Newsletter. This one’s new to me
http://www.bluesageband.com/Tabs.html - Mike Iverson’s Clawhammer tab and instruction page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdWOYFnRiz0&feature=related Clawhammer intro video
http://www.reso-nation.org Dobro site
http://www.resohangout.com Dobro hangout!

Looking to buy a banjo? :banjo:

Most people start off with a less expensive one like a Gold Tone or Deering Goodtime model. These run about $500 or so, depending on new or used, with or without resonator. They go up from there. Foreign copies of the Gibson RB-250 run $1000-2000, with domestics such as Gibson, Huber and Stelling running well into the $5000 range.

Nechville is known for modern approach to banjos, ease of maintenance. Also has a radiused neck like a guitar instead of a flat fretboard as is normal for the banjo.

Irish Traditional Music (Trad) is great and fun and challenging too!

Coohoolin posted this about Traditional Irish Music:

More to come! Get pickin!

:bandwagon:

Planet X fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pious Pete
Sep 8, 2006

Ladies like that, right?
I'm a banjo dude. I play bluegrass and folk type stuff. Clawhammer is hella confusing. I've tried to learn a handful of times, but none of it seems to stick.

I can answer some questions to the best of my ability, but I'm far from an expert. As far as upgrades, I'm a big fan of moving up to a vintage or handmade banjo over new stuff. I've got a restored Goose Acres' from the 70s and I love it to death. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it's solid wood, sounds great and I know it's going to last.

A question of my own: what kind of thumb-picks are people using? I generally play without, but more and more I'm realizing that I'm going to have to start if I want to be heard in a group. I've gone through about 4 different styles, some better than others, and I've yet to find on that sweet spot.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
As far as picks go, I started out playing with the standard National thumbpicks, but have gotten a few of the smaller speedpicks. I prefer them now, they feel faster. They also don't crimp my thumb as hard as the bigger ones and tear up my cuticles.

When using the bigger picks though, I do like the Golden Gate picks better than the National picks, they just feel better on my finger.

There seems to be an in-between pick of the two mentioned above. I'm going to try those out next.

You play bluegrass style without a thumbpick? If so, I think you'll like the speedpick, it doesn't feel as clumsy.

If you're looking for increased volume, I've learned that it's helpful to keep the fingers plucking the strings at a 90 deg angle, that way it's more picking and less scraping.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
I just got my banjo two days ago and i'm loving it. I have been practicing the alternate thumb roll and pinching and just trying to get used to all that. I have no musical experience at all but I really feel like each day i'm getting a tiny bit better.

I bought a Savannah SB-100. Nothing fancy, but I didn't want to break the bank just in case it turned out I was going to hate it. Fortunately for me, it's really, really addicting and I wish I didn't have neighbors so I could practice again right now.

There's a forum called Banjohangout.com with a lot of cool people, they have lots of good info, tabs, lessons, etc etc and very friendly to beginners like myself.

The hardest part right now is trying to do chord changes, the tips of my fingers end up hurting or I mute notes because I have to learn how to properly use a fret.

I'm using a dunlop thumb pick that came with the banjo. It's a bit small for my thumb but it works well. I will get another one later.

econdroidbot
Mar 1, 2008

AS USELESS AS A HAT FULL OF BUSTED ASSHOLES

Pious Pete posted:

Clawhammer is hella confusing. I've tried to learn a handful of times, but none of it seems to stick.

I play clawhammer banjo, so I hope it's ok to post in the thread. It took me a while to get the rhythm and figure out what to do with my right hand, but with enough repetition I got the hang of it. For now I play on an entry level Gold Tone. I played a few Deering banjos and didn't like the feel of it, but it's been a while and I can't remember specifically what I didn't like. Anyway, I know a handful of songs in open G, Double C, G-modal, and maybe one or two other tunings.

Other than strumming around on a guitar once in a while, banjo is the first instrument that I've received instruction on. It's a really, really fun instrument, even for a music dumb-dumb like me!

I've plateau'd with my skill, and one problem I'm running into is finding new tabs to play can be a pain. Banjo (particularly clawhammer) isn't exactly popular, so I just try and pick stuff out by ear because I can't find it online.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

I wish I didn't have neighbors so I could practice again right now.

You can always get a mute. Check the banjohangout, there's a thread there in the buying advice section. I'm going to get one for the same reason. It's good to play 'loudly', with conviction, so your timing stays right and you dont end up softening any notes while you're trying not disturb those around you. It's a loud instrument, at least Scruggs style is.

econdroidbot posted:

I hope it's ok to post in the thread.....Banjo (particularly clawhammer) isn't exactly popular, so I just try and pick stuff out by ear because I can't find it online.
Please do, I'm learning clawhammer, and liking it a lot!

Aren't there any jams in your area? That's helped me the most.

econdroidbot
Mar 1, 2008

Planet X posted:

Aren't there any jams in your area? That's helped me the most.

Sorry for the delay in responding; I got probated for trolling the GBS. There are a few jams in my area, but I've had night school classes at that time. I'm graduating in a few weeks, so those nights should be free!

One thing in particular that I know I need to work on is keeping tempo, as I'm prone to speed up or slow down at irregular intervals. I could play with a metronome, but that's not as fun.

I'm going to start taking lessons again in the next month or two, so I need to brush up on drop thumbing. I got lazy and sloppy and use it only in a few places, but to get better I know I have to utilize that technique.

Do you like to sing when you play? I do, which is particularly fun with a couple of the sillier songs I know. It's a surprisingly good party trick/novelty to play a song like "Old Ground Hog" and give people the lyrics. I should make friends with a fiddle player and we could get all the jams.

Pious Pete
Sep 8, 2006

Ladies like that, right?

Planet X posted:

You can always get a mute.

I've got this (http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Tone-Iucci-Banjo-Mute/dp/B0041T4DJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1299310188&sr=8-1) and it's great. Not only is it great for practicing, but I use it performing a good deal too to get a different tonal quality. Couldn't recommend it higher.

econdroidbot posted:

Do you like to sing when you play?

Hells yeah man. Love it. I perform lots of Tallest Man on Earth type stuff. I was actually asked to play a gig for a Mardi Gras event this Tuesday. Should be plenty of fun.

Right now I'm trying to figure out the chords/tuning to this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW-Lsi5tBww
I'm all about Sam Amidon, but it's proving to be a bit of a bitch. If you haven't already, listen to his album "I See the Sign." It's golden.

Pious Pete fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 5, 2011

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

econdroidbot posted:

One thing in particular that I know I need to work on is keeping tempo, as I'm prone to speed up or slow down at irregular intervals. I could play with a metronome, but that's not as fun.

Get a piece of software called Song Surgeon. It's a slowdowner, it'll help your timing. Not very expensive, and well worth it. It's helped me figure things out without having to use tab. Of course, put a song on and play along with it. It'll improve once you start attending jams.

econdroidbot posted:

Do you like to sing when you play? I do, which is particularly fun with a couple of the sillier songs I know. It's a surprisingly good party trick/novelty to play a song like "Old Ground Hog" and give people the lyrics. I should make friends with a fiddle player and we could get all the jams.

Part of bluegrass is just about everyone sings. I don't sing, but I've started. I've found it more difficult to sing when playing banjo, so I either switch to guitar or go clawhammer when I sing. It kinda gets old when only one person is singing at the jams, and people are generally encouraging.

Pious Pete posted:

Tallest Man on Earth

Good stuff. Had no idea he was Swedish.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
:siren: Dobro player invading a :banjo: thread :siren:

I've got a question for you guys. It's not specifically banjo related but as far as jams with other people, how do you guys find out about this stuff? My experience has been that it is really hard to find other people who play bluegrass instruments and I want to learn techniques from actual people in a casual setting.

econdroidbot
Mar 1, 2008

N183CS posted:

:siren: Dobro player invading a :banjo: thread :siren:

I've got a question for you guys. It's not specifically banjo related but as far as jams with other people, how do you guys find out about this stuff? My experience has been that it is really hard to find other people who play bluegrass instruments and I want to learn techniques from actual people in a casual setting.

The only way I hear about jams is through a folk music school in my city. (http://www.oldtownschool.org/) There are fliers all over the place for people that want to jam, although few are actually looking specifically for a banjo player. I don't know how else I would find jams if it wasn't through the school.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I'm fortunate to live in Austin where there's no shortage of such things. With that said, here's how I'd go about it if I were you:

- Look for bluegrass festivals or concerts in the area
- See if there's any bluegrass, old time or acoustic associations. For me, it's CTBA, Central Texas Bluegrass Association. Their website has all the jams listed
- Go to an (acoustic) instruments store. Ask there
- Forums. Banjo Hangout is pretty much our go-to place. You can also attend camps. They may not be near you, but it's a way.
- Craigslist. I've posted up on Craigslist before seeing if anyone wanted to pick, and I did find some folks.
- Start your own. More effort, but it can be done, or at least will help you gauge interest in your area.
- Move to Austin and come to Waterloo Ice House on Monday nights. :smug:

Hope this helps. You are welcome to post about your dobro here. I love it when a dobro player shows up to the jam, because then we can play fireball mail the way it's supposed to be played.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 21, 2011

Jarmotion
Jan 9, 2006
Lotek Ronin
Hey a thread I can post in :). I'm a banjo player going on 3 years now, pretty much mainly clawhammer. So I can hopefully help some people with that. I have been playing a lot of Irish music, which is kinda weird since it was made with a picked tenor in mind, but it still sounds great on the 5 string frail.

I play a Nechville Moonshine and a Deering Goodtime openback if I'm going somewhere that I don't want to risk my instrument.

I've got a good deal of sheet music and tab, mostly frailing from my old teacher. I was pretty lucky to live next to Clarke Buehling and got some great lessons from him.

edit: I should add I'm in NW Arkansas if anyone close wants to jam.

Jarmotion fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 1, 2011

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

quote:

Hope this helps. You are welcome to post about your dobro here. I love it when a dobro player shows up to the jam, because then we can play fireball mail the way it's supposed to be played.

Awesome. Does anyone have any tracks they can share that I might be able to play along with? I just recorded this in garage band to see what kind of playing I could do with a rhythm. I'm pretty terrible and can't get my own beats down so it might be helpful if I could play along.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
I'm looking for my first banjo, and posted a wanted ad on craigslist. This was a response I got:
"i have a ventura 1970s japan copy of rb12 gibson needs neck work still plays well holds tune with grover tuners ,bridge, 20 hole brass tone ring very loud weighs 14 lbs walnut $400.00 /cash to get the features this has buying new would cost 1200 and up"

Is this worth checking out?

Pious Pete
Sep 8, 2006

Ladies like that, right?

Hollis Brown posted:

I'm looking for my first banjo, and posted a wanted ad on craigslist. This was a response I got:
"i have a ventura 1970s japan copy of rb12 gibson needs neck work still plays well holds tune with grover tuners ,bridge, 20 hole brass tone ring very loud weighs 14 lbs walnut $400.00 /cash to get the features this has buying new would cost 1200 and up"

Is this worth checking out?

I'd be wary about paying $400 for any first banjo, ESPECIALLY one that needs neck work. I'd get something cheaper to learn on and then sell it when you're ready to upgrade.

Here are some threads on Banjo Hangout I found about Venturas.

http://www.banjohangout.org/archive/107248
http://www.banjohangout.org/archive/98833

Some good feedback. Seems like they're decent intermediate banjos, but at least one guys says he wouldn't pay over $200 for one. Take that as you will.

All that said, where abouts do you live? I'm in Western PA and have a beginners I'd be willing to unload for $150 or so, but it would be a pain to ship.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
The neck work made me wary as well. I was hoping to get something decent second hand, which if I wanted I could resell for not much loss. Whereas the impression I get from buying a new sub-$200 banjo is that they are not worth much later. Thanks for the offer, but I am in central Iowa and I agree that shipping would probably be a pain.

If anyone is curious, here is my local craigslist search for banjo. It's kind of sad.
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=98&subAreaID=&query=banjo&catAbb=sss

edit: I ended up going to a local music store which carried the recording king rk20. I have to say it seemed very nice.

Thanks for the suggestions VVV

Hollis Brown fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 22, 2011

Jarmotion
Jan 9, 2006
Lotek Ronin
For a first banjo I would recommend a Deering Goodtime or a Goldtone. You will probably spend about 300-400 on one, but it is completely worth it. I have a 2600 dollar banjo, but I still use my Deering Openback all the time, it is so light and just keeps sounding better every day. You can find them used on the banjohangout site all the time.

The Deering is made in America and will sound great right out of the box. The Goldtones are made in Korea or China I believe, and will take some setup before you get it sounding how it should.

Also of note are Helix banjos, made by a user on the Banjohangout.org website. I haven't played one, but they are supposedly amazing for the price.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Jarmotion posted:

For a first banjo I would recommend a Deering Goodtime or a Goldtone. You will probably spend about 300-400 on one, but it is completely worth it. I have a 2600 dollar banjo, but I still use my Deering Openback all the time, it is so light and just keeps sounding better every day. You can find them used on the banjohangout site all the time.

The Deering is made in America and will sound great right out of the box. The Goldtones are made in Korea or China I believe, and will take some setup before you get it sounding how it should.

Also of note are Helix banjos, made by a user on the Banjohangout.org website. I haven't played one, but they are supposedly amazing for the price.

This is some solid advice. I bought a Goodtime a few years ago to see if I'd like playing banjo, and even though I just bought a more expensive banjo, I'll keep my Goodtime around. You should spend 3-500 on your first banjo, but perhaps you can get something decent used for less than that. Just dont buy a crap banjo, you want to enjoy playing it and not have to fight it to get a sound out of it.

The Helix looks great too. I looked on his site, and he can't get the bamboo anymore, so he's not offering an intro banjo right now.

I just got a Gold Star, and absolutely love it. Another reason the Goodtime is great to keep is because it's light. Banjos are heavy instruments, and the Deering is light enough so that if I want to do extended practice sessions it doesn't kill my back.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I've been hoping someone would make a banjo thread. As a British banjo player I've never met anyone else who plays the instrument, a fact which I kind of enjoy but it has its downsides.

Like someone else said, I've never been able to really get my head around clawhammer so I play bluegrass almost exclusively. One problem I have with bluegrass though, is I don't understand how anybody can work it out by ear, theres so many notes so fast that I just cannot tab it. As it is, I'm pretty reliant on tabs from the banjohangout website. Anyone got any advice for this sort of thing?

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

I ended up ordering a Deering Goodtime. I am pretty excited for it to get here. I have been reading through Pat Costello's "The How and Tao of Old Time Banjo" and watching his youtube videos.

Here is the link to the book if anyone is interested:
http://www.archive.org/details/TheHowAndTaoOfOldTimeBanjo

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Captain Mediocre posted:

I've never been able to really get my head around clawhammer so I play bluegrass almost exclusively.

It takes a while. Do some searches on the web for it, start off with the basic movement, dont try and drop thumb yet. Just keep doing it over and over, you'll get the hang of it. When I started out, I thought I'd never play clawhammmer. Now I've picked it up a little bit and am having fun learning. It does take a while for the basic bum-ditty movement to click, though.

quote:

One problem I have with bluegrass though, is I don't understand how anybody can work it out by ear, theres so many notes so fast that I just cannot tab it. As it is, I'm pretty reliant on tabs from the banjohangout website. Anyone got any advice for this sort of thing?

Yes, a slowdowner. I have Song Surgeon, and it's helped me a lot. Listen to a lot of bluegrass, and buy the Scruggs Album "Foggy Mtn Banjo". Lots of classic songs on there that you can put in your slowdowner and learn. Song Surgeon is ~$30. There are others, like The Amazing Slowdowner. I get a lot of tabs from the hangout, too. Not all of them are great, but a lot of them are good.

Make sure you listen to a lot of bluegrass too, so you know the feel of the music. I can provide some recommendations if you want. Growing up in Va, I was exposed to it at an early age, which helped.

Some of the Homespun video series are good too. They have tab that comes along with them. The Earl Scruggs book is supposedly one of the better books out there.

Hollis Brown posted:

I ended up ordering a Deering Goodtime.

You made the right decision. :hfive:

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Thanks for the advice. I do listen to a fair bit of bluegrass as it is, which is sort of the reason I took up the banjo a year or so ago, but I'd love to know what sort of stuff you're into as I'm sure I have a more limited window into the bluegrass world than a local such as yourself.

You guys have inspired me to make a concerted effort to finally get to grips with clawhammer too. I've been watching alot of the tutorials on youtube (of which there seem to be hundreds) but I still have a few questions. The rhythm itself isn't a problem, I've been playing music pretty much all my life and that part of it I find easy, my problem is rather with the hand movements.

1)I've seen some videos of people using their index fingers, and others with their middle, can anyone explain to me why one or the other would be a better choice? I can't really determine my personal preference because neither seem to really be clicking at this stage.

2)Secondly, the bum-dit is supposed to be played with the same finger, yes? I'm always really tempted to do the 'bum' with one and the 'dit' with the other but I haven't seen anyone doing this and I worry it might be a bad habit to get into.

3)And lastly, I've seen someone emphasise the importance of keeping your fingers tightly together and moving the whole hand as one but I find this utterly impossible to get anywhere with, my inclination is more towards letting each finger do its own business - is this a bad idea?

And I'm sorry for reviving an old thread for my silly questions, any advice would be appreciated.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So let's say I'm pretty good at fingerstyle guitar. Not amazing, but can pretty quickly pick up new patterns, sound good, etc.

How difficult would it be to pick up banjo for some general stuff? Fairly easy transition for the occasional player? Can you go without fingerpicks, or are they a must?

Cool thread, by the way :)

Jarmotion
Jan 9, 2006
Lotek Ronin

Captain Mediocre posted:

1)I've seen some videos of people using their index fingers, and others with their middle, can anyone explain to me why one or the other would be a better choice? I can't really determine my personal preference because neither seem to really be clicking at this stage.

2)Secondly, the bum-dit is supposed to be played with the same finger, yes? I'm always really tempted to do the 'bum' with one and the 'dit' with the other but I haven't seen anyone doing this and I worry it might be a bad habit to get into.

3)And lastly, I've seen someone emphasise the importance of keeping your fingers tightly together and moving the whole hand as one but I find this utterly impossible to get anywhere with, my inclination is more towards letting each finger do its own business - is this a bad idea?

1. Really the choice of finger is up to you. I play with my index finger, and actually my fingernails on my index and middle finger are just a little longer than the rest. This way if my index one chips or breaks I can use my middle. Once you get the motion down, it really isn't hard at all to switch the fingers, since it is your whole hand moving. So just pick one that is comfortable.

2. The bumditty is the same finger yes. This is something that you will really want to work on. When you get to some of the more advanced techniques I think you may have some trouble if you switch fingers, in particular I'm thinking about brushing where you extend your other fingers and rake the strings. I mean, there is actually a famous guy (name escapes me) that does a bumditty by plucking up with the finger then strumming down. And he gets a good sound out, but it is just weird and I wouldn't recommend straying from the tried and true for this technique. Especially because it is the bread and butter of this style. This actually carries with the other question.

3. Really work on keeping your hand together, you are moving your entire hand to play, not just one finger. Lock all the fingers together, with the striking finger extended a bit to play with. Your thumb shouldn't be locked, as it will be doing its thing on the drone string or drop thumbing.

Sounds like you have the right ideas, just need to make it habit.

Walked: I think you should be able to move over pretty easily. Just basically learning different chord shapes. I play fingerstyle without picks, I'm a pretty forgetful person, so I made sure not to rely on having any. However they let you project so much more, and I also have a clawhammer pick that I love.

edit: Missed this part.

Captain Mediocre posted:

Thanks for the advice. I do listen to a fair bit of bluegrass as it is, which is sort of the reason I took up the banjo a year or so ago, but I'd love to know what sort of stuff you're into as I'm sure I have a more limited window into the bluegrass world than a local such as yourself.

Really my love is for Celtic music, which is weird that I play 5 String Clawhammer, instead of the Tenor. But I mean the classic for banjo is Earl Scruggs, Bill Monroe, Ralph Stanley. Bela Fleck is amazing of course. I love playing along with the Dubliners for Celtic. And also Steve Martin's two albums are really good.

Right now I'm learning Yoshi's Island theme. It has a banjo sound, but I think it was played on a keyboard because some of the chord shapes are stupid.

Jarmotion fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 14, 2011

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Walked posted:

So let's say I'm pretty good at fingerstyle guitar. Not amazing, but can pretty quickly pick up new patterns, sound good, etc.

How difficult would it be to pick up banjo for some general stuff? Fairly easy transition for the occasional player? Can you go without fingerpicks, or are they a must?

After I really got finger picking down on my gutiar I went back to my Banjo that was collecting dust and really started getting into it. The transition was fairly easy. I learned a few basic chords and started plucking away all my favorite songs deep south style. Very fun.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I'm glad to see that it picked back up and there's dobro, flatpickers, clawhammer players in here.

Should I edit the OP with some links, broaden it a bit, and change the title? Suggestions welcome.

Pigstomper
Nov 6, 2006

OINKSAUCE
Great thread. I've been at banjo for about two years. I had been at guitar for about 10 years when I inherited my Grandpa's 4 string banjo and started messing around with it. Really piqued my interest as I'd always been into bluegrass and americana type stuff.

Within a few months, I decided it was definitely fun enough to worth investing in. Bought myself a deering goodtime banjo (I love this thing, plays great) and have hardly touched the guitar since. I later removed the resonator, so I wish I'd just bought the cheaper model that comes without one, a recommendation I'd pass along to anyone shopping. I'm not too keen on the resonator sound, but I play clawhammer so perhaps it's different for scruggs style players.

Walked posted:

The left hand aspect will be fairly immediate and simple for you. The right hand has a very, very different feel than guitar/fingerpicking. It also took my brain a minute to accept that the highest pitched string was no longer at the bottom of the neck, but rather the top. However, having built dexterity with guitar, you should be able to pick it up quickly.

If anyone has any questions about clawhammer, I'd be happy to do my best to help. Drop thumb was the most confusing aspect for me to learn but I finally got it down after about a year. :)

Clever Hans
Mar 13, 2007
No, the pants are not optional.
New banjo player here, found an interesting website for clawhammer tunes. The dude plays it a bit fast to really pick up on it, but at least it's a mess of tabs.

http://www.bluesageband.com/Tabs.html

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
OP updated. Again, suggestions welcome.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Clever Hans posted:

New banjo player here, found an interesting website for clawhammer tunes. The dude plays it a bit fast to really pick up on it, but at least it's a mess of tabs.

http://www.bluesageband.com/Tabs.html

Thanks for this, I've been doing fairly uninspiring clawhammer excercises the past few days and I didn't really feel like I was making any progress, but I had a go at the cripple creek tab on that website and suddenly it all just clicked and fell into place.

There's something really enjoyable about the rhythmic nature of playing clawhammer thats much easier to get yourself into than bluegrass banjo. In bluegrass I've always been guilty of swinging out of time now and then depending on how excited I get, but clawhammer keeps you in steady without you really needing to try. I'm enjoying myself, thanks clawhammer advocates!

edit: oh and having just seen the new OP I've a question for you Planet X, I've been toying with the idea lately of picking up a 2nd hand violin and teaching myself fiddle because I can't stop collecting new instruments. I thought banjo was a relatively easy thing to teach oneself from a guitar background - I was wondering how you think the fiddle compares? Its always seemed like a slightly more daunting instrument to learn by yourself.

Captain Mediocre fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 17, 2011

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I have a friend of mine that's never played music before, and he just got a fiddle. He's doing pretty well with it. So while it's not impossible, it is challenging.

- There's no frets or fret markings
- You have to draw the bow perpendicular to the strings, else it'll squeak
- You have to put an appropriate amount of pressure when you draw the bow to get it to sound
- May be harder if you have fat fingers, but I don't know if there's truth in this. Likely moreso for the mandolin.
- There's some degree of timing you'll need, to hit that shuffle
- It sits under your chin, and much like the banjo is a bit of a loud instrument. They do make mutes for fiddles like they do banjos

Now with that said, fiddles are pretty easy to rent, so you can try and see if you like it before you buy one. Bear in mind too that mandolins are tuned the same - so you can get started on a mandolin (which has frets and fret markings) and switch later if you want.

Having started on a guitar and switched to banjo, I feel the fiddle will be a bigger leap. Do it!

Also, I never thought I was going to play clawhammer at all, but you're right. It's a lot of fun, you don't have to mess with picks, and has a really friendly, accessible sound.

A clawhammer question: I have the basics down, but I find myself playing really percussively, that is the thumb hits the head of the banjo a lot when I grab that high 5th string. I assume this isn't anything to worry about as long as it's not distracting?

Planet X fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 17, 2011

Pigstomper
Nov 6, 2006

OINKSAUCE
Fiddle - I've been trying to learn this for a few years as well. Planet X's advice is all spot on, and make sure to bring a fiddle player with you when you pick one out. They are all different with their own unique sound. This instrument was definitely a lot harder for me to pick up than banjo, the bowing technique felt totally alien at first. TONS of fun once you get it going, though.

Percussive clawhammer - thumbing the banjo head was unfortunately kinda frowned upon with some of the musicians I played with... though I actually enjoy it in some instances, depending on the tune, but in the end it was a habit I worked to break myself of for recording purposes. It sounded distracting when I played it back.

Also if you are interested in moving on to drop thumb, it will be beneficial to get used to a more shallow thumbstroke. Plucking over the fretted area as opposed to the banjo head helped me with this (and it also gives a great, mellow sound).

I don't mean to be a negative nancy, its just something I personally wished I had worked on from the get go.

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.
Chiming in as a novice mandolin/mandocello player!

I've been playing mandolin off and on for about 2 years, only very seriously for the past 4 or 5 months, though. I just bought a mandocello and it's totally awesome.

I haven't had the chance to play either in a group yet, so I'm still just a wannabe.

I do want to leave this here, though: http://www.themandolinstore.com/Scripts/default.asp

Best mandolin retailer. BEST.

Pinky the Cube
Jul 21, 2010

Planet X posted:

I have a friend of mine that's never played music before, and he just got a fiddle. He's doing pretty well with it.

Hey that's me! Thanks!

I'm officially hooked on it. Learning has been a pretty gradual process but the exercise of patience is good for me...and it actually feels good.

I am getting lessons from a local musician, hanging out with Planet X for jam-related learnin', and getting occasional reviews from a classical violin player friend of mine. Although trying to absorb both the mechanics of fiddle-playing at the same time I try to understand "how notes work" is often overwhelming (especially from 3 different points of view), I think it's sinking in. I consider myself very fortunate to have experienced players nearby to lean on with questions. It's also very entertaining to hear the classical guy criticize fiddlers who never leave first position while the fiddle player cites violin players who can't double-shuffle.

Fiddle Hangout is a great place, especially to have one source of information to consult. Try using Google to find a remedy for your pegs being loose and have fun combing through the wildly contradictory advice. Use chalk! Never use chalk! Use resin! Never use resin! Buy peg putty! Never buy peg putty! Turns out that what you need to do is "push in gently as you turn the peg" and then "promptly feel like a newb for not realizing that on your own".

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.

Pinky the Cube posted:

Hah!

As a classical cellist I can say I have a hard time saying the word "fiddle" seriously. I tell this joke that the difference between a violin and a fiddle is you don't clean a fiddle. :smug:

Pinky the Cube
Jul 21, 2010

Roctor posted:

I tell this joke that the difference between a violin and a fiddle is you don't clean a fiddle. :smug:

I've heard a few punchlines to that question, but this one is funny because it's true. My violinist friend meticulously cleans his violin after every practice. The fiddlers I know, including myself, don't.

Personally I like to let the rosin build up over the course of several days so I can blame it for my bad playing when it's out of control. Then I can wipe it off with righteous indignation and pretend it helped.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Pigstomper posted:

Also if you are interested in moving on to drop thumb, it will be beneficial to get used to a more shallow thumbstroke. Plucking over the fretted area as opposed to the banjo head helped me with this (and it also gives a great, mellow sound).

I don't mean to be a negative nancy, its just something I personally wished I had worked on from the get go.

That's fine, it's why I was asking. I know I'm hitting the head too hard with the thumb. I think playing over the fretboard will help a bit.

I was considering getting a replacement bridge and turning my old Goodtime, at least temporarily into a clawhammer setup. I'm under the impression that frailers generally have higher action on their banjos than 3 finger players do. Will it make it a little easier if I do that? That's good advice, to play on the neck instead of the head, makes sense.

Pinky the Cube posted:

wildly contradictory advice

This is a good point. There is definitely technique and structure to this music, but it's a lot about feel. I've seen youtube videos that stress that clawhammer players need to use index finger only for the first note in the frailing motion, but one of my teachers said use whatever's comfortable. Much of playing this music is listening to it, getting the feel for it, and jumping in rather than learning scales or being super focused on technique.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 18, 2011

Pigstomper
Nov 6, 2006

OINKSAUCE
You know, I don't have any experience on the higher action setup, but it seems to make perfect sense. I have heard that a wider neck helps (more space between strings). I'm hoping to get a frailing scoop done to my banjo neck soon, very excited, I love the tones you can get playing there.

I've got one other real simple exercise that helped me develop a shallow thumbstroke for drop thumb - and that was to play songs as normal, but instead of using the high string for the drone note, move your thumb down to another string and drone there exclusively. It sounds pretty weird but once I got comfortable, it was pretty easy to alternate strings with my thumb, and voila - drop thumb.

As far as using index or middle finger for the downstroke, I've seen it done both ways and could not fault the sound of either. One dude on youtube said he'd wished he'd learned with the index finger because you get more power out of it, but his playing was nothing short of amazing using the middle finger, so who knows.

And I couldn't agree more about focusing on feel, sound, and fun. That's what banjo is all about!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I've got some good links for the OP in case there are any other Dobro players or interested persons here.

https://www.reso-nation.org
and
https://www.resohangout.com
are two of the biggest ones. Most of the big name players post there so it's cool to be able to interact with the best of the best. Reso-Nation's main page is all youtube videos which is pretty cool.

• Locked thread