Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Something I've been thinking about recently, where do you 3-finger players stand on the issue of anchoring your ring and little fingers? I've always played with them floating up in the air and never had any trouble because of it, but I've recently come across some discussion on banjohangout about how essential it is to anchor them down. Are you all of similar opinions?

I can see how the extra stability would be a bonus, and I have no problem keeping both fingers anchored when trying it, but one nasty result of playing anchored is that my middle finger taps against the head every time I play the 1st string, making for a really annoying tapping sound. It seems as if anchoring my fingers brings the picking ones down too close to the head because I can't stop them making contact.

Captain Mediocre fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Well, I anchor one finger. With that said, I'm trying more to anchor two. You can probably get yourself out of the habit of scraping the head with the pick. Just take a step back and take it slow. Maybe your wrist angle is off?

It's really hard to anchor two for me, but they're right about it stabilizing your hand and picking power.

Edit: I added Dobro links to the OP

Planet X fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 27, 2011

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I don't play banjo but I do finger pick on Dobro and resonator guitar. When I'm picking my round neck I try to anchor my pinkee in one of the sound holes on the cover plate but when I'm playing lap style on my dobros I keep my hand floating most of the time. It's pretty much essential to be able to hit 5 of the strings with my thumb and the neck is much wider than a banjo. Then again I have a palm rest so it makes it a little easier.

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.
Keepin this bad boy alive!

Not bluegrass exactly but close enough, I did a quick take of this tonight and thought I'd post it here:

http://tindeck.com/listen/xstt

So anybody up for some sort of internet collab? I don't really know how it would work but we can pick a simple song and I could put down some rythm on my bitchin' mandocello for people to use and play over and then somebody (me, I guess?) can piece it all together.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

Roctor posted:

Keepin this bad boy alive!

Not bluegrass exactly but close enough, I did a quick take of this tonight and thought I'd post it here:

http://tindeck.com/listen/xstt

So anybody up for some sort of internet collab? I don't really know how it would work but we can pick a simple song and I could put down some rythm on my bitchin' mandocello for people to use and play over and then somebody (me, I guess?) can piece it all together.

I'm down for this. I've been focusing on backup playing the dobro lately so this would rule to practice on. The cello in your track sounds almost like pedal steel in the beginning, which is awesome.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
If we have any dobro or banjo players, we could use you help over in the A/T thread:

Ask / Tell > Ask me which weird musical instrument you should learn this summer
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415486

I casually dick around playing clawhammer on a fretless/nylon-strung Appalachian banjo, but I really am not in the place to give prospective banjo players more general advice. And I've messed with dobro (and put nut-risers on plenty of junk guitars to make them usable slide guitars), but again really not my forte.

We've been aiming for this semi-format of a brief description, pros/cons, difficulty, price, a few motivational pics and some cool clips. The audience isn't so much noob players so much as new musicians, or existing musicians branching out, who are considering taking up an unusual instrument.

Hope to see some banjo and dobro goons drop in, as well as anyone else who plays anything unusual (do we have any experienced autoharpists). The thread is weak on bluegrass thus far (a little dulcimer and a little mandolin), so thought here would be a good place to pop in.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Alright, I'm looking to start playing a banjo and really could use some insight into my local second-hand market on Kijiji. There are a few banjos listed, which are a good deal for a beginner, if any?

Fender 5-string banjo w/ case, tuner, etc for $500?

Alabama ALB30 5-String Banjo for $329?

Johnson 5-string for $250?

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Lassitude posted:

Alright, I'm looking to start playing a banjo and really could use some insight into my local second-hand market on Kijiji. There are a few banjos listed, which are a good deal for a beginner, if any?

Fender 5-string banjo w/ case, tuner, etc for $500?

Alabama ALB30 5-String Banjo for $329?

Johnson 5-string for $250?

To me, that fender banjo looks like you are paying for what appears to me to be a guitar inspired paintjob.

The second it appears you can get a new one for 289 http://www.nantelmusique.qc.ca/product186_38/alabama-alb30.aspx

and the third looks like it can be had new for 219 as well
http://www.dcmusicstore.com/Johnson-JB-100-5-String-Banjo

Are you set on the resonator style banjo? I am biased because I started playing clawhammer almost exactly two months ago and I ordered a deering goodtime (you can read earlier in the thread where someone else suggested it to me).

I've heard good things about the Resonator king rk-20, and the deering goodtime special for first resonator banjos

http://thebanjohut.com/recording_king_banjo_rk_20.htm
http://thebanjohut.com/deering_goodtime_2_banjo.htm

That website had good customer service when I ordered my deering, and their prices seemed competitive. Let us know what you end up with.

Jarmotion
Jan 9, 2006
Lotek Ronin
If you get a Deering special, I promise you won't regret it. The special has the tone ring so it will have enough sound to last your entire playing career, and will be one of the lighter banjos you own so practice won't suck.

I have a Nechville Moonshine which I love, paid a ton for it. But my old Deering open back probably gets more love, since I'll take it camping and down to the river.

If that Fender is anything like the FB I tried, it will be heavy and just horrible to play. I really didn't enjoy it.

Really I wouldn't get any of those that you listed.

The Recording King is a great choice, as is a Gold Tone. I play open back so I can't comment on the sound of the resonator of either, but I know they are solid choices and banjohangout.org will recommend them as well.

If you are doing fingerstyle, I would go with a Deering Goodtime 2 to start. Clawhammer, the open back model. If you have a bit more money, the special version of either is great and worth it. I wish I had bought one, but I can't bring myself to trade in my first banjo with guitar hero stickers.

And TapTheForwardAssist, I'll have a banjo post for that thread in a bit. I need a proofreader :S.

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.

Roctor posted:

Said this a while ago, and I finally did it!

Not great, but whatever you guys can suck it!

Here's my track with my crappy solo. As you can tell by listening to it (if you have ears?) I haven't got the second part up to speed yet, but i gave it the old college try, I figure if I give you guys a crappy example that will encourage you to contribute. Can't do worse!

http://tindeck.com/listen/oenr

just rythm:
http://tindeck.com/listen/onno

I guess you have to actually download the wavs to listen to them as the tindeck flash player won't play them? Whatever. Whatever.

bonus bach:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF7D0Q1mcWE&feature=feedwll&list=WL

edit:
oh yeah, the song's the old classic "whiskey before breakfast". Most of you will likely recognize it when you hear it, but I want to make sure the name is in this post somewhere ;)

Roctor fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 3, 2011

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
For someone who has no friends who play fiddle, is there a guide to picking out a decent one? I plan on renting, unless there is a fiddle out there for less than 200 USD.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Roctor posted:

oh yeah, the song's the old classic "whiskey before breakfast". Most of you will likely recognize it when you hear it, but I want to make sure the name is in this post somewhere ;)

Nicely done. I need to learn that one, I dont know it. I know a few of the standards on banjo.

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.

Darth Windu posted:

For someone who has no friends who play fiddle, is there a guide to picking out a decent one? I plan on renting, unless there is a fiddle out there for less than 200 USD.

Here's what I'd do.

Find out where the best high school and/or elementary school orchestras tell all their students to get their gear. It will very likely have a stupid name, like beaver's band box.

Go to that place and say "PLZ RENT VIOLIN" and they will give you one that will suit your needs.

You can almost certainly find one for $200 or less, but if you ever do I would recommend tossing it in the garbage and starting over.

I'm a bit of a snob though as somebody who grew up playing classical instruments and only recently got into bluegrass. Maybe these vets will say "just pick up one for $50 from a pawn shop and it'll be fine".

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Roctor posted:

I'm a bit of a snob though as somebody who grew up playing classical instruments and only recently got into bluegrass. Maybe these vets will say "just pick up one for $50 from a pawn shop and it'll be fine".

At one point on Banjo Hangout where folks had gotten into telling total noobs to save up for a $1500 custom clawhammer banjo with a 6-month waitlist, someone popped in with a comment along the lines of "most of the banjo greats of clawhammer did most of their playing on banjos that were probably shoddier than a $200 made-in-China banjo, and somehow they got by."

Don't get me wrong, I like having decent gear, and there are some failings (bad intonation, high action, etc) that make a cheap instrument nigh-unplayable, but there is a happy medium of cheap stuff that works decently, especially on the used market.

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

At one point on Banjo Hangout where folks had gotten into telling total noobs to save up for a $1500 custom clawhammer banjo with a 6-month waitlist, someone popped in with a comment along the lines of "most of the banjo greats of clawhammer did most of their playing on banjos that were probably shoddier than a $200 made-in-China banjo, and somehow they got by."

Don't get me wrong, I like having decent gear, and there are some failings (bad intonation, high action, etc) that make a cheap instrument nigh-unplayable, but there is a happy medium of cheap stuff that works decently, especially on the used market.

I agree and I think rentals are that happy medium for violins.

fyo
Mar 9, 2007
smugly conventional
I just bought my first banjo last week and have been trying to learn clawhammer. Are there any guidelines for when you should pluck with your thumb?

Initially I thought I should only use my thumb on the high g, but I've been watching some of the old-timers on youtube and see that they often drop their thumb all the way down to the B string and alternate between their thumb and nail.

It makes sense to me to alternate for speed, but I'm hesitant to use my thumb too much since I prefer to sound of my nail striking the string to my thumb.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
That's called drop thumbing and is an intermediate technique, as I understand it. Get the basic bum-ditty movement down and work on drop thumbing later.

May not hurt to take a lesson, either.

Edit: You definitely want to use your thumb in clawhammer. I took a clawhammer lesson once and was told to keep the nail on whatever finger you're using to strike the string. You dont have to grow the fingernail out, but don't clip it short, it helps to have a little length to the nail.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 14, 2011

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
Yes, the technique is called drop thumb. Mike Iverson has an excellent exercise for it on his banjo site: http://www.bluesageband.com/Tab%20pdf%20files/Instruction/Drop%20Thumbing.pdf

Basically it gives your playing a rolling kind of sound. Once you can cleanly play the introductory exercise in that lesson you should be ready to learn the rest. Check out his version of Sourwood Mountain for a good example of a tune that uses the technique.

proton
Dec 23, 2005
fuck if your leg broke bitch, hop up on your good foot
I'm a washed up classical violinist, haven't played seriously in about 6-7 years, but I have some chops.

Recently I have fallen in love with bluegrass and wanna fiddle.

These websites with music are realllly basic. Do yall know a good source for somethin a little more meaty ? I wanna get a few good licks under my belt before I start trying to improvise.

proton fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 14, 2011

fyo
Mar 9, 2007
smugly conventional
Cool, thanks guys. Yeah I've been practicing the basic bum ditty pretty religiously.

I'm impatient so whenever I learn an instrument I try to go a bit too far ahead. Bad idea, I know, but it keeps me interested at least.

I found this version of cripple creek on youtube which I really like, so I've been trying to copy it (albeit at a slower tempo), hence the drop-thumb question.

The guy in that video is pretty awesome, btw. You banjo players have probably already come across him, but if not, check his stuff out! In a lot of his videos he's playing a banjo he threw together from an old gas can and getting some pretty good sounds out of it.

Also, thanks for that pdf-- it's next on my list once I've gotten good enough on the current exercises I'm working on.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

proton posted:

Do yall know a good source for somethin a little more meaty ? I wanna get a few good licks under my belt before I start trying to improvise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lygc31AHHiY Found this for you. Its a long lesson, but she puts it together pretty well at the end. You'll want to learn what 'fiddle' songs are, and learn them. OBS, Soldier's Joy, Roanoke, etc. Start getting the songs in your head, get a slowdowner, and play along with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXkwthWiMFk

fyo posted:

Cool, thanks guys. Yeah I've been practicing the basic bum ditty pretty religiously.

OK if that's the case, I'd say go ahead and start trying to get your drop thumb down. When I took my clawhammer lesson, guy was doing drop thumb that I thought was really cool, but he did say there were some accomplished clawhammer players that never used it, so I didnt have to feel like I had to learn it, especially since I generally play 3 finger.

Did you get a clawhammer banjo, with a little higher action and the frets missing from the upper register of the neck? You can play clawhammer on a banjo that's not set up for it, but it certainly helps to have a little higher action, especially when you're doing that action closer up on the neck than rather back near the bridge like Scruggs style. I'm almost compelled to get a little higher bridge for my Goodtime for that reason.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 15, 2011

fyo
Mar 9, 2007
smugly conventional

Planet X posted:

OK if that's the case, I'd say go ahead and start trying to get your drop thumb down. When I took my clawhammer lesson, guy was doing drop thumb that I thought was really cool, but he did say there were some accomplished clawhammer players that never used it, so I didnt have to feel like I had to learn it, especially since I generally play 3 finger.

Ah ok, that's good to hear. Like I said I prefer to sound of my 'claw' strumming the strings to plucking with my thumb, so I'll just try to keep the drop-thumbing to a minimum. I guess I won't really NEED it till I get my speed up anyways, but I suppose it's still good to get the technique down.

I got this epiphone to start out with. I'm happy with it so far, although there's a buzz on the G-string that I've yet to find the source of.

I don't think I'll be buying any more specialized banjos until I've been playing long enough to know what sorts of features I like and what I don't.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

I'm on a bluegrass kick and I've always loved the sound of the banjo. I realized I'm lacking in the creative outlet department ever since my husband started getting into music making with his electric guitars and such.

I've never played guitar, bass, or any other stringed-type instrument. I did play piano when I was younger and viola and French horn in high school. How much of a stretch would it be for me to try my hand at banjo? Would there be a better string instrument that would be good for a newbie?

Thanks for the thread!

fyo
Mar 9, 2007
smugly conventional
The banjo seems harder than the guitar to me, although I've only been learning the banjo for about a week. But then again, any instrument can be as hard as you want it to be.

One thing I can say is I'm having more fun learning the banjo than I did the guitar or bagpipes. It's just a cool little instruments and I really enjoy the rhythmic playing style of clawhammer and the strong connection the banjo has to its folk roots.

I'd say go for it, if you're not in a rush you can pick up a used starter banjo for 100 - 150 at most.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I enjoy learning the banjo more than I did the guitar. With that said, I'm going back to the guitar and trying to learn to flatpick now. I was fortunate enough that when I decided to learn to play, the shop next to me at the time (Gryphon in Palo Alto, CA) rented them, and knocked the rental price off the price of a new one.

The banjo has a reputation for being a hard instrument to learn, but reading the weird instrument thread, I'm convinced it's not as hard as some of the instruments in there. :stare:

Easy about the banjo:

- Really only fretting 4 strings, rather than 6 on the guitar. Often times, you're not fretting the full chord, only a partial chord on the top 2 strings (thinnest ones). You generally do not fret the short high string
- Neck is thinner than guitar
- It's an open tuning (G), so you can strum and bar if you want to just learn songs. By barring the 2nd fret you play the A chord, 3rd fret is B, 5th is C, 7th is D, and so on
- Beginner banjos are light and less bulky than a guitar.
- There are 3 major chord formations, usable anywhere on the neck.

Harder about the banjo:

- No sustain. You really have to work on making sure each note count
- Learning rolls and patterns requires patience and muscle memory
- Looking at the tab can throw you off since it's a series of rolls, usually.
- Pressing on the head of the banjo or gripping the neck too hard can throw off the tone a little since the bridge is not fixed like a guitar.

I'm back to learning banjo and trying to progress rather than just playing. I'll say that having a book AND a CD that goes along with it has been super helpful instead of just a book. Last night I just sat down and listened to the lessons and followed along in the book instead of trying to play along. My instructor sells them here:

http://www.eddiecollins.biz/eddie/bookbasic.html

If you want to get inspired, go find a jam or a live performance, and talk to people about it too. All Y'all newbies, once you get your rolls down, things come a lot easier. You're basically putting different series of rolls together to make a song. Since it involves muscle memory, if you get frustrated, put it down for a day or so, then come back to it. You'll be surprised what that does for progress.

For all the Deliverance jokes, a lot of people are really fascinated and drawn when they find out I play; some have said they just love the sound. That inspires me to keep going.

Last thing I'll say is that I pulled out the banjo at a picnic the other day, and I started to get some jokes from my friends..one guy started to make some hick / sodomy joke, and I started playing. He stumbled over his words because he couldn't really hear himself once I started playing. I said "whatever you're about to say, I've heard it before". He goes "Man, there's a joke there somewhere but I see you can actually play so I'll just shut up now" :smug:

Hopefully I'm not :bravo2: too much in this thread

Planet X fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 16, 2011

Pigstomper
Nov 6, 2006

OINKSAUCE
This made sense of drop thumbing for me - use it only when there is a note that lands on an upbeat in the main melody. When there is no upbeat in the melody, just keep the upbeat going on the 5th string drone note, and switch/drop down for melody upbeats. That way you don't have to double the picking speed of your index/middle finger, and it keeps a smooth rolling sound going.

So a full roll as a 1 measure 4 count goes something like:

(1) nail, (2) nail, (&) thumb, (3) nail, (&) dropthumb, (4) nail, (&) thumb

&s being the upbeats.

Errr hope that helps. :banjo:

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Anyone have experience with Recording King banjos? I've been renting for the past few months while I take bluegrass banjo lessons, and I'm about ready to purchase my own.

Haven't seen any locally, but the RK-35 and RK-80 seem to get a lot of love on the banjohangout forums.

sailorjosh
Apr 23, 2006

Peanut butter, mother fucker.

mesc posted:

Anyone have experience with Recording King banjos? I've been renting for the past few months while I take bluegrass banjo lessons, and I'm about ready to purchase my own.

Haven't seen any locally, but the RK-35 and RK-80 seem to get a lot of love on the banjohangout forums.

I've never played one but I've heard plenty and they sound great. Another option in that same quality and price range are Gold Star banjos (not to be confused with gold tone.)I have a Gold Star gf-85 and it is great. They are built like pre war Gibsons and have that classic Gibson banjo look, which I prefer. Either way you can't really go wrong.

Here is me playing my Gold Star (sound quality isn't so hot but you get the general idea.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ykCE-DUggk

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I joined the Resohangout site, which is linked to the Banjo, Mandolin, Guitar and Fiddle hangouts as well. I just discovered a cool java chat room they have and there are dudes video jamming on it, it's pretty neat and worth checking out if you have any questions or just want to jam. All the sites link to one chat room too.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

sailorjosh posted:

Here is me playing my Gold Star

Whats up Gold Star buddy! :banjo::hf::banjo:

I have some time off to burn, so I'm going to drive up to an acoustic camp next week:

http://acousticmusiccamp.com/

Not sure there's any acoustically inclined goons in North Texas that have a few hundred bucks and the back half of next week to kill. However, my banjo teacher tends to go to and teach at these things, and said it's a wonderful way to learn.

I was just playing for a while, but am back to really practicing, trying to get my tunes down and polish the ones I already know. I need to learn Old Joe Clark, Gold Rush among a few others that always come up at the jams.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 8, 2011

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Augh, so, I've found both banjos and fiddles around here in my price range, and lessons for either. Which should I go with? I've been listening to a lot of Sam Amidon, so I am inclined toward banjo at this particular moment, but the fiddle seems more versatile and perhaps more interesting. I've also heard that banjo can be a son-of-a-bitch to learn for people who are used to playing guitar, which I am. Help!

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Darth Windu posted:

Augh, so, I've found both banjos and fiddles around here in my price range, and lessons for either. Which should I go with? I've been listening to a lot of Sam Amidon, so I am inclined toward banjo at this particular moment, but the fiddle seems more versatile and perhaps more interesting. I've also heard that banjo can be a son-of-a-bitch to learn for people who are used to playing guitar, which I am. Help!

At the end of the day you should choose whichever you like more and not what someone on the internet tells you, but I would like to say that I came to the banjo from guitar (/ukulele/piano) and if anything it made the learning process much easier.

Once you already have all the skills to strum, pick, and finger chords on a guitar you'll find a huge part of that is just straight up transferable to the banjo. Sure you use different picking patterns and different chord shapes but thats more or less all you have to learn, whereas someone who hasnt come from guitar has to learn all the basics of coordinating a string instrument from scratch.

Best answer: learn both! I'm in the process of buying myself a fiddle at the moment too to learn alongside. Learning multiple instruments at the same time is not difficult like you might expect, if anything it helps to have something to switch to once you get burned out practicing one. Although if cost is a consideration then obviously this might not very helpful.

fyo
Mar 9, 2007
smugly conventional

Darth Windu posted:

One good reason to choose a banjo is there a lot of old timer banjo gurus that post videos of themselves playing on youtube. The few songs I've been working on so far I've learned just by watching these people play.

rpeek is awesome, and here's an example of the sort of stuff I'm talking about :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkzfZbXDA-Y

I'd imagine this sort of thing would be a fair bit more difficult with the fiddle considering how it's played.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

I don't know who told you that, but all of my guitar-playing friends have been able to pick up banjo after a quick "here's the chord shapes" crash course at parties with no problem. One dude was throwing down John Butler's "Water" after ten minutes, which made me seriously question why I even try.

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

Hey there, I've been playing mandolin on and off (mostly off) for about 15 years now. That would possibly lead people to believe that I am a good player, but I am not, probably because I've never had occasion to play with other people other than an instructor now and then. If there's anybody in Orange County, CA who'd like to try to jam... let me know.

To be honest I tend to like Celtic more than bluegrass, but I found out when I moved here that there was ZERO celtic music interest around here while there was VERY LITTLE bluegrass interest, which is better than zero. (Orange County kind of sucks)

Here's a song I heard recently, and I didn't even know it featured banjo until I looked it up because I wanted to know what instrument was making those awesome sounds: Annabelle Lee by Sarah Jarosz

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
^^ Interesting because I was listening to her just today. One of my banjo teachers really likes her music.

I spent the weekend at an acoustic music camp. I learned a number of things from a bunch of the instructors, lots of tips and tricks on everything from playing to string changing. I highly recommend going to such a thing, as it was the first time that I had and I got a lot out of it.

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.
Just a heads up, Tim May is touring around doing workshops on improvisation for mandolin and guitar. I assume they'd be cool with any plucked/strummed instrument.

I already reserved my spot in the Surprise,AZ one.

http://www.flatpick.com/workshops/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEAB5Bib02M

Tim May's the one on the left. Music starts about a third of the way through.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Etheldreda posted:

Hey there, I've been playing mandolin on and off (mostly off) for about 15 years now. That would possibly lead people to believe that I am a good player, but I am not, probably because I've never had occasion to play with other people other than an instructor now and then. If there's anybody in Orange County, CA who'd like to try to jam... let me know.

To be honest I tend to like Celtic more than bluegrass, but I found out when I moved here that there was ZERO celtic music interest around here while there was VERY LITTLE bluegrass interest, which is better than zero. (Orange County kind of sucks)

Here's a song I heard recently, and I didn't even know it featured banjo until I looked it up because I wanted to know what instrument was making those awesome sounds: Annabelle Lee by Sarah Jarosz

Huh, I just saw Sarah the other day. Living in Boston is pretty amazing for folk music in general. Have you ever seen Joy Kills Sorrow? The mandolin player is loving unbelievable.

Seconding the recommendation to go to a music camp. I went to a camp this summer for celtic fiddle, and it was a really intense and amazing experience. I'd like to start learning bluegrass too. Any fiddlers here play 5-string? I tried one, but I didn't have a clue what to do with the low string.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Do any of you guys use D-Tuners for the banjo? I'd love to fit some on mine but I was shocked to see that they seem to cost hundreds of pounds each wherever I look. That doesn't really seem worth it to me, so does anyone know of any cheap or even DIY alternatives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have been playing banjo for maybe three years now, however I am still terrible. I can play a few songs, but I am running into the problem of finding things at my skill level to play. I think the issue is that I don't really spend enough time playing. I really enjoy messing around with the banjo, however, and I am kind of trying to learn clawhammer after learning how to play three finger to a beginner level. I think I would really enjoy playing the fiddle, so I am looking to get one from somewhere.

I get a lot out of learning things from people in person, but there really aren't too many banjo players in Massachusetts - at least not that I have found.

• Locked thread