Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

dexter6 posted:

So my first banjo will be delivered Friday and I was wondering what other accessories I might have to head to the music shop to buy. The banjo comes with a gig bag, but here's what I'm thinking:

• Chromatic Tuner (I already have a guitar tuner, but I've been meaning to get one that is more versatile anyway)
  • Strap
  • What kind of picks should I get?
  • Anything else?

Also, is there a recommended beginner's Banjo book? I'm coming from the guitar world, so the idea of chords and fretting aren't a big deal, but I'd like to have something to teach me a couple of songs and basic picking / fingering patterns.

Thank!

Picks are going to be personal preference like Captain Mediocre said. Try the nationals, but also you can try smaller picks too.

I like the Snark tuners a lot.

Get a Capo, you'll need one. A banjo specific capo.

Get a stand too - its nice to not have to put your banjo in the case all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Apologies banjo thread, but I know there's a high fiddler concentration here so I've got a fiddle question.

I've been teaching myself to play for 6-7 months and I've hit that predictable slump. I have a few music books and I've burned through all the easy tunes, left only with stuff which is too facile and nursery rhyme-y to be interesting or which is beyond my capabilities. I was wondering if anyone could recommend me their favourite beginner/intermediate tunes?

Fiddle Hangout also seems to have quite a sparse selection to fill this gap, but any recommendations from their tab archive would be appreciated too. I find the fact that I don't really have any background exposure to bluegrass means I can't just look up the 'classics', whatever they may be.

also banjos banjos banjos

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I'm not a fiddle player, but if you're looking for a list of fiddle tunes in bluegrass, that's easy. With that said, I don't know what's easy / intermediate, etc.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Planet X posted:

I'm not a fiddle player, but if you're looking for a list of fiddle tunes in bluegrass, that's easy. With that said, I don't know what's easy / intermediate, etc.

Heck yeah, if you just know some songs you like with good fiddle parts, that would give me something new to get interested in again. Appreciated.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
http://www.harmonicatunes.com/bluegrass_repertoire.shtml

I'd say:

Blackberry Blossom
Angelina Baker
Orange Blossom Special (there are tutorials for this online)
Roanoke (one of my favorites)
Soldier's Joy
Clinch Mtn Backstep

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I think this is the prettiest banjo tune I've ever heard:

http://youtu.be/5Jd51cRJmoo

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for strings. I am a novice player with a deering goodtime that I've had for almost a year and I accidentally broke one of the strings. I was considering something like the aquila nylgut as well as traditional metal. Also if anyone has a good place to order from I would appreciate that as well.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

Bubbacub posted:

I think this is the prettiest banjo tune I've ever heard:

http://youtu.be/5Jd51cRJmoo

That's a sweet version. I love Jason Burleson's playing on the Blue Highway version. He just plucks away on the rhythm, gives it an awesome deep south feel.
http://youtu.be/neZ__QNglPM
I got to see them play it last month. Holy crap what an amazing band. Probably the tightest band besides AKUS I've ever seen in any genre. I got to see three shows in two days and hang out with the band. To a bluegrass picker that's like being able to hang out with Metallica. Rob Ickes even gave me and my buddy a private show on my buddies new Dobro.

ImDifferent
Sep 20, 2001
My teacher's told me that I've outgrown my current beginner banjo. I can't really justify dropping more than a few hundred at this point, so I'm hunting around for second-hand ones on Craigslist.

These are the only two in Los Angeles right now in my price range:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/3078252155.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/msg/3079509436.html

Any thoughts/comments? Anything's probably a step up from the Epiphone MB-100 I have at the moment, right?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Hollis Brown posted:

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for strings. I am a novice player with a deering goodtime that I've had for almost a year and I accidentally broke one of the strings. I was considering something like the aquila nylgut as well as traditional metal. Also if anyone has a good place to order from I would appreciate that as well.

Its personal preference, but just get lights, or maybe the JD Crowe GHS Medium-light set. If you want a bluegrass sound, get steel strings. Is there no music store close to you?

Otherwise, any online music retailer or Amazon should do.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I just got my banjo along with the tab book for this song ( http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/t/video/steve-martin-great-remember-nancy-14692648 ) and obviously the hardest part is the right hand claw hammer.

Any tips / tricks / videos for me to check out? I've been watching some of the claw hammer basics but Steve's technique seems to be a bit different from the bum-dity style I've seen. Or maybe I just don't get it.

Any help in learning this would be greatly appreciated!

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Any feedback on Republic Guitars' Unicone resonator?

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
I've been playing on a Dean 5-string banjo that my friend gave me awhile back and finally took it out to a folk jam here in Chicago to start branching out. Good experience, I definitely picked up a lot of tips in the 3 or so hours we were playing. On the downside, I absolutely have to buy a new banjo now. I knew it wasn't the best instrument but after hearing the other guys last night I'm heading to the store this afternoon to try some out.

Anyone living in Chicago should head to this if you want to jam on some standards for three hours with 15 guys all older than your dad:

http://www.folkjam.org/node/4476/repeatdetails

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

dexter6 posted:

I just got my banjo along with the tab book for this song ( http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/t/video/steve-martin-great-remember-nancy-14692648 ) and obviously the hardest part is the right hand claw hammer.

Any tips / tricks / videos for me to check out? I've been watching some of the claw hammer basics but Steve's technique seems to be a bit different from the bum-dity style I've seen. Or maybe I just don't get it.

Any help in learning this would be greatly appreciated!

Did you get the hang of it yet?

I figured out that with a mute, you can hear yourself scraping the head of the banjo with finger picks, so it's a good way to work on not doing that.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Captain Mediocre posted:

I've been teaching myself to play for 6-7 months and I've hit that predictable slump. I have a few music books and I've burned through all the easy tunes, left only with stuff which is too facile and nursery rhyme-y to be interesting or which is beyond my capabilities. I was wondering if anyone could recommend me their favourite beginner/intermediate tunes?

Fiddle Hangout also seems to have quite a sparse selection to fill this gap, but any recommendations from their tab archive would be appreciated too. I find the fact that I don't really have any background exposure to bluegrass means I can't just look up the 'classics', whatever they may be.

An old fart who's kinda sorta in his last throes is teaching me the fiddle. I've been learning for about the same time that you have (disregarding the hiatus due to me needing a new bow). The guy gave me a cd by Brian Wicklund that I've been playing along to. At these two links there are lists of songs that are cool to learn. Something that's really exciting is that the guy put some thought into arranging the songs and they slowing get more complicated and teach you things as you go along. I've been working on Country Waltz the past few days.

Something that's made me completely ecstatic is how much money I've been able to make playing on the sidewalk playing those beginning songs. I've been playing the melody, singing a verse, playing the melody, singing the chorus, and so on. I've made so much more money (for time invested) doing that that I've ever made busking with my guitar. I'm hoping that I'll be able to travel with a fiddle and use it to pay my way, and I guess give away the money I don't need.

I absolutely love bluegrass. The way that I was informally introduced to it was stumbling upon a The Bloodroots Barter. A weird series of events led to me being at their show on the night they happened to be passing through town. I fell in love. I have no idea exactly how many times I listened to the cd I bought that night, but it has to be over 100 times since November. This led me to going to a local bluegrass jam session that I'd been hearing about for years but I'd just never gone to it. I fell in love again.

Hanging out with those old guys and playing music every week has given me something quite positive to do in a positive environment where people aren't playing the music for money or fame or popularity--we do it to have a little bit of fun every week. Before I went there I usually just played guitar, even though I know how to play drums, electric bass, piano, harmonica, and mandolin. The first few weeks I went, the guitar is what I played. I got up on that stand-up bass the moment that someone told me that the tuning of the strings were the same as the stand-up bass, though. The blisters were worth it and they always will be. These days I can even pick a little banjo because I've started giving pointers to my friend who's learning. My mind had an orgasm when I realized that the banjo is like the bottom five strings of a guitar with the A and E strings tuned down a step. I immediately tuned a guitar to open G and started playing it like a banjo.

Ah, well, I'm starting to ramble and I have beer to drink. 5'd the thread. Keep bluegrass alive.

Edit: I play a weird mix of clawhammer banjo and picking banjo. I play it like I play a guitar without a pick.

Edit2: Learn your scales. Run your scales. gently caress around in your scales. Love your scales. Your scales need that lovin'.

Alobar fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 18, 2012

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
http://www.dogwork.com/blugrs9#.UAeyG9aV0tI Crosspost from the cute thread, I thought it was neat that this bird came in and chilled out on the back half of the bluegrass jam (bout halfway through)

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
Can anyone recommend some good banjo centric bluegrass?

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

I dunno if you've got Spotify but this track featuring Sam McGee and Arthur Smith always stood out to me for some reason, it's got a nice combination of a lead line and rhythmic arpeggiation on the banjo, and it's catchy as hell.

http://open.spotify.com/track/7dCWoeHuIbrEKnMmNdijem

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

global tetrahedron posted:

I dunno if you've got Spotify but this track featuring Sam McGee and Arthur Smith always stood out to me for some reason, it's got a nice combination of a lead line and rhythmic arpeggiation on the banjo, and it's catchy as hell.

http://open.spotify.com/track/7dCWoeHuIbrEKnMmNdijem

I do and I liked that, thanks.

sailorjosh
Apr 23, 2006

Peanut butter, mother fucker.

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Can anyone recommend some good banjo centric bluegrass?

Ooooh man. Anything with Jim Mills, dude digs in so hard and pulls ridiculous tones, my favourite banjo player by far. The whole Ricky Skaggs Bluegrass Rules album is banjo gold really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVy8uf_TUjk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wejj8G9ZoXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8bLjIMX3bE

Steeldrivers have some great banjo breaks too, less traditional sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUw7do1XuDQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0bOI8ORYMU

Aaaand one of my favourite Union Station songs -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9GvHSF0JYc

Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver playing at warp speed, Terry Baucom tearing up the banjo -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SU-s7VLCKk

I could probably post a million more but I'll stop there

ImDifferent
Sep 20, 2001
Super pissed. I've just started a new job, and my banjo teacher's been on at me to upgrade, so I ordered a shiny new Deering Eagle 2. It arrived today, and apparently Fedex gave it a few good solid whacks en route:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ImDifferent fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 23, 2012

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.

That's loving terrible. A plus is that Deering is really awesome about their customer service. If you hit them up, they should be able to get you squared away with no problem. Who did you order it through?

ImDifferent
Sep 20, 2001

Loaf32 posted:

That's loving terrible. A plus is that Deering is really awesome about their customer service. If you hit them up, they should be able to get you squared away with no problem. Who did you order it through?

It's all resolved. The store I ordered from (The Banjo Hut) were cool about shipping a replacement straight away. So I have new Eagle 2! Super pleased with it so far.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.
Good to hear that worked out. I've heard good things about the banjo hut, but never ordered anything from them.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

It's a Canadian Thanksgiving miracle. My grandfather gave me his old Peerless banjo because he heard I picked up the guitar recently. I have no idea where to start. It's a five string, hasn't been tuned in twelve years and has a flimsy bridge. Do you guys have any tips? It came with finger picks, a key, and a capo. In other words, what the hell am I doing with an old and dusty banjo?

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
Have you played any stringed instruments before? If you know how to strum or fingerpick than you should either lean towards clawhammer or Scruggs first, depending on how hard you want to make things for yourself. Clawhammer is more of a strumming motion with individual notes being hit on the downstroke by either your index or middle finger. There'a a very distinct rhythm that goes along with it that makes it a nice choice when you are attempting to play a piece solo and still have it sound full. You can pick up the basics fairly quickly with clawhammer. The Scruggs style is fingerpicking with two metal fingerpicks and a thumb pick. You can get going pretty fast with either technique, but Scruggs is generally the type you hear on bluegrass recordings when the performer is really going to town.

Pick one, buy a basic instructional guide, and then start playing along to songs as soon as possible. You should probably find a teacher for the first few months as well, mostly to insure that you are executing the technique correctly.

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
Oh, and buy vest + pocketwatch for good measure.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Bi-la kaifa posted:

It's a Canadian Thanksgiving miracle. My grandfather gave me his old Peerless banjo because he heard I picked up the guitar recently. I have no idea where to start. It's a five string, hasn't been tuned in twelve years and has a flimsy bridge. Do you guys have any tips? It came with finger picks, a key, and a capo. In other words, what the hell am I doing with an old and dusty banjo?

I'm jealous. Might be worth taking it to a shop to get it checked out? I imagine you'll need new strings and you might as well have someone look over it while you're there to see if it needs any work. A new bridge won't cost you much and it helps to have someone who knows what they're doing position it for you.

As for playing the drat thing, just take a look back through the thread there's been some good advice in the past and plenty of links to learning resources(BanjoHangout is best).

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I am thinking of buying a seeger banjo, I already have a piece of crap epiphone that I bought last year and have been playing pretty regularly and really enjoying myself but I would love to have the same type of banjo as my main man Pete Seeger. Is there anything special that will have to do in order to play that type of banjo? Where is the best place to get a long banjo from?

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

Miltank posted:

I am thinking of buying a seeger banjo, I already have a piece of crap epiphone that I bought last year and have been playing pretty regularly and really enjoying myself but I would love to have the same type of banjo as my main man Pete Seeger. Is there anything special that will have to do in order to play that type of banjo? Where is the best place to get a long banjo from?

Both Vega and Gibson made long-necks that were played by Mr. Seeger and these instruments can typically be found relatively cheap compared to their bluegrass cousins. Elderly and Gryphon Strings should have a decent online selection of vintage long-necks.

If you want a new instrument I think Deering/Vega produces them and Gold Tone has a model as well. As always, also take a look on the Banjohangout classifieds.

Playing is basically the same. The reason Pete Seeger played a long neck was so that he could get lower tones to match his voice. Instead of G major, the instrument is tuned to E major so all of your patterns transfer over in a different key. Put a capo on the third fret and you're back to G major.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Thanks, I always wondered what was up with the longer neck banjos.

ImDifferent
Sep 20, 2001
8 months into the Banjo, really digging my new Deering! Another quick beer-and-bluegrass session: http://soundcloud.com/strags/shuckin-the-corn. Lots of dodgy notes, but hopefully getting better.

Edit: cheers, whiggles!

ImDifferent fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 21, 2012

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Can anyone suggest some simple songs to practice on Banjo? I'm having trouble with Cripple Creek and just practicing on Bile dem cabbage is frustrating. I read tabs for now.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Can anyone suggest some simple songs to practice on Banjo? I'm having trouble with Cripple Creek and just practicing on Bile dem cabbage is frustrating. I read tabs for now.

He Will Set Your Fields On Fire is one of my first ones, and I recommended it to someone else who seemed to enjoy it so have a look.

Its also worth browsing through the beginner tabs on banjo hangout, there is loads of good stuff there.

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD

ImDifferent posted:

8 months into the Banjo, really digging my new Deering! Another quick beer-and-bluegrass session: http://soundcloud.com/strags/shuckin-the-corn. Lots of dodgy notes, but hopefully getting better.

This sounds fantastic for 8 months in. I'm inspired to step it up, good show.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Captain Mediocre posted:

He Will Set Your Fields On Fire is one of my first ones, and I recommended it to someone else who seemed to enjoy it so have a look.

Its also worth browsing through the beginner tabs on banjo hangout, there is loads of good stuff there.

That looks like a great resource, thanks.

Does anyone have any opinions on a good book or dvd or whatever to help? The one that came with my banjo is a bit light.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
On the subject of recommended listening, I just came across The Brothers Comatose the other day and now won't shut up about them to anyone who'll listen.

The Scout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YzgQ4Ks4ZQ

Dead Flowers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIFoqxzkFwA

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I listen to a lot of Irish folk music, specifically the Dubliners. I am interested in learning the banjo, but I am struggling to decide between 4 string tenor and the five string banjo.

Do you guys have any input on this matter? The GDAE stringing on the tenor makes it the same as a mandolin, which is another instrument that interests me.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I've always wanted to leanr to play the fiddle, and have been seriously contemplating picking one up. I know nothing about fiddles though, so whats a decent beginner fiddle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
:banjo: I have decided I would rather be Earl Scruggs over Barney McKenna. I guess I am going to buy a Deering Goodtime.

• Locked thread