Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Yeah with an A-style you should be good to go doing what you suggest. You'd probably need a new nut cut but whatever, its pretty cheap.

Some makers do use magical asymmetric tone bars or differing wood species for bass/treble sides of the top that have questionable impact on tone but those are custom instruments. An old Gibson or any of the more standard brands just flip it and go.

Pomeroy instruments are made in your area right? Those are fine sounding mandolins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Great! I'm encouraged to keep looking for A-bodies, then.

And they are - sort of, Glenwood is a 3 hour drive, but it'd be worth it for the quality. That is...an excellent idea. Hmmm....

ed: Oh my.

ed 2: I want to kiss it on the mouth

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 15, 2017

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Squiggle posted:

Oh shiiiit, I never thought to check for a Musician's Lounge thread when I picked up the mandolin over a year ago - Coohoolin, you are my fuckin' muse, man. I've been shying slightly away from bluegrass and into the traditional Celtic tunes, and your fantastic posts are exactly what I dreamed to find.

You are also very good and make me feel...less good, ha.

I actually had two mandolin questions that I wanted to bounce off y'all - I'm a cursed lefty, and it is shockingly hard to find left-handed mandolins worth their salt. I've been playing on a Morgan Monroe "Rocky Top" f-body (MMS-8WC), and I'm starting to wonder what else there is out there and since I am so into Irish etc., I was looking at A-styles with oval holes and wondering...could I have a luthier flip the nut and bridge and call it a day? They seem very symmetrical, so I'm hoping that's not just on the surface.

In the short term, I'm wondering if I can take my current one in to a luthier and just have them kinda...I dunno, adjust it? This is actually my first stringed instrument, so I'm not really aware if it could use any adjustment to make it a bit easier to play. I guess it's silly to ask here and not actually take it somewhere, but...I guess I'm wondering what to expect out of a tune-up. The one thing I DO notice is that when the open strings are tuned correctly, notes down the fretboard are slightly out of pitch. G strings are a solid G, but the B is sharp.

What do you think?

Edit: I should say, I'm in the Front Range of Colorado, so I should definitely be able to find a good luthier.

Cheers man, glad I could help! I fell in love with the instrument, been playing about 4-5 hours a day for the past year. It's so much fun.

I can't get into A-styles, I have no idea why. Just sound too flat and round to me, I like the edge and cut you get from an F-style, even though I play mostly Celtic stuff. I also play in a folk punk duo and fast chucking just doesn't sound right without an F. I have no idea about lefty mandos, but speak to a luthier and see what they say. Then again Chris Thile plays an F style.

I'm looking to upgrade myself (probably gonna stick myself with a £40/m financing deal or some poo poo) and I'm looking at a nice Eastman F style, which for the price range seems to have about as good a quality level as your way pricier ones. Unless I can find the time to go exploring with some of the luthiers in Shetland. I want a loud, sharp, cutting, F style, and unless someone can make that specifically for me I'll probably go for Eastman.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Coohoolin posted:

I'm looking to upgrade myself (probably gonna stick myself with a £40/m financing deal or some poo poo) and I'm looking at a nice Eastman F style, which for the price range seems to have about as good a quality level as your way pricier ones. Unless I can find the time to go exploring with some of the luthiers in Shetland. I want a loud, sharp, cutting, F style, and unless someone can make that specifically for me I'll probably go for Eastman.

It’s not an F but I’ve got an Eastman 505 and I absolutely love it. I played a lot of similarly priced Kentucky mandos and it beat them all out on sound. If I want something that sounds noticeably better I will have to go with the much nicer ones, a Collings or Weber or that price range.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Korwen posted:

It’s not an F but I’ve got an Eastman 505 and I absolutely love it. I played a lot of similarly priced Kentucky mandos and it beat them all out on sound. If I want something that sounds noticeably better I will have to go with the much nicer ones, a Collings or Weber or that price range.

I'm looking at this baby right here.

http://celtic-chords.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_4_54&products_id=2705&zenid=lqfhdokpcdu513dd1gfv8n3017

The problem is there's not a lot of stuff stocked around where I live so I'm gonna have to take a daytrip down to Stonehaven and try some stuff out (although looking at the page that seems to be the only other F style he's got in apart from this slightly odd take- http://celtic-chords.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_4_54&products_id=2103)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hey everyone,

Last night my wife expressed interest in possibly learning the mandolin, or at least trying the instrument and taking a lesson. We've both gotten a little more into bluegrass over the last year, and she has been suitably wowed by Chris Thile and Rhonda Vincent. I'd love to support her, but she has never played a musical instrument before, and I don't know if she will take to it or not. She definitely doesn't have the time to get super-serious about learning, but it might be a fun thing to mess around with around the house.

What do you all suggest? I haven't checked any local music stores yet, but there are several inexpensive mandolins on Amazon. I was hoping to spend under $200 for one, since she may not decide to stick with it at all. Do any of these look promising?
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_...=price-asc-rank

I don't know if she's even intrigued enough to go to a store with me and try several out, but I figured I could at least surprise her with this as a holiday gift and she how she likes it. For what it's worth, I noodled around with guitar as a kid but was never any good, although I played saxophone for many years in bands (just not in a long time). I've never even held a mandolin, so I don't know about tuning it, setting it up for her, or any of the most basic stuff.

EDIT: What about this beginner package that Sam Ash is selling?
http://www.samash.com/mandolins/washburn-m1k-mandolin-package-sunburst-wm1kxxxxx

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 20, 2017

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I think you're OK at around your pricepoint, but I wouldn't spend much less. If you can, go to a local music store and see if they have anything there. The fit and finish on a cheap mandolin can be poor - that is, if you order online, you might get buzzy frets or a slipping tuning key. At least if you look locally, you can rule these things out.

I would rather invest in the instrument itself instead of the starter kit. Get a mandolin and a $15 Snark clip on tuner rather than a pitch pipe, in my opinion.

Mandolins are fun, for sure. Very light and portable, easy to modulate volume, and generally a pleasing sound to people. My Eastman is a little fickle to tune, but a lot of acoustic instruments can be. I think your plan is sound to invest at a very basic level and go from there.

Mandolin Cafe has lots of resources for you and her.

Edit: I have an Eastman F, whichever the least expensive Eastman F is. I'm not saying you should get her one, but rather chiming in as an Eastman F owner for the posters above. I'm primarily a banjo player, but really love having a mandolin around. I'm learning Big Scioty. Forked Deer will be up next.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Also, I went to IBMA this year. I could do a writeup if anyone is interested. If you have the means and interest, definitely worth going to at least once.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Yeah my beginner mandolin was a lovely £60 Stagg off of amazon but it took me no time at all to realise I loved playing it and jump for a decent Ibanez. You can get like a basic ozark or a Barnes & Mullins and it'll do the trick just fine for a beginner one. Wouldn't spend more than £150.

Mandolins are amazing though, definitely get into them.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Squiggle posted:

And they are - sort of, Glenwood is a 3 hour drive, but it'd be worth it for the quality. That is...an excellent idea. Hmmm....

Where in the front range are you?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Where in the front range are you?

Louisville/Boulder, specifically

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Squiggle posted:

Louisville/Boulder, specifically

If you get up to Fort Collins, check out Woodshed Music. Paul, the dude that runs the place, has always got a handful of lefty instruments. He's big into mandolins and banjos, too. Lots of other weird stuff too, especially basses. Victor Wooten stopped in there a while back, I can only assume because of the strange bass collection.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Squiggle posted:

Right? A buddy of mine in LA has an F5 that has a wonderfully woody tone that almost sounds like an oval hole (you get a sense for the wide open tone of the os and the focused tone of the fs from that video)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Coohoolin posted:

I'm looking at this baby right here.

http://celtic-chords.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_4_54&products_id=2705&zenid=lqfhdokpcdu513dd1gfv8n3017

The problem is there's not a lot of stuff stocked around where I live so I'm gonna have to take a daytrip down to Stonehaven and try some stuff out (although looking at the page that seems to be the only other F style he's got in apart from this slightly odd take- http://celtic-chords.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_4_54&products_id=2103)

You know about Trevor's shop? He deals in moderate to high end mandolins for all seasons. I know the standard for celtic music are oval holes like Sobel (and if you have never played a Sobel do so, the most cathedral-like, majestic tone I have ever heard a mandolin make) and he's not in Shetland, but he has some of the finest selection of F holes (which do great for celtic too, Dan Beimborn plays a Weins--with Virzi--fwiw) shipping should be easier from inside the UK

http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hey everyone,

Last night my wife expressed interest in possibly learning the mandolin, or at least trying the instrument and taking a lesson. We've both gotten a little more into bluegrass over the last year, and she has been suitably wowed by Chris Thile and Rhonda Vincent. I'd love to support her, but she has never played a musical instrument before, and I don't know if she will take to it or not. She definitely doesn't have the time to get super-serious about learning, but it might be a fun thing to mess around with around the house.

What do you all suggest? I haven't checked any local music stores yet, but there are several inexpensive mandolins on Amazon. I was hoping to spend under $200 for one, since she may not decide to stick with it at all. Do any of these look promising?
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_...=price-asc-rank

I don't know if she's even intrigued enough to go to a store with me and try several out, but I figured I could at least surprise her with this as a holiday gift and she how she likes it. For what it's worth, I noodled around with guitar as a kid but was never any good, although I played saxophone for many years in bands (just not in a long time). I've never even held a mandolin, so I don't know about tuning it, setting it up for her, or any of the most basic stuff.

EDIT: What about this beginner package that Sam Ash is selling?
http://www.samash.com/mandolins/washburn-m1k-mandolin-package-sunburst-wm1kxxxxx

Kentucky 150

Edit: a bit more of an explanation. The Kentucky 150 has a solid wood top, which for an entry level archtop, f-holed mandolin (for bluegrass) gives really great sound. If you buy from somewhere like Elderly (see https://www.elderly.com/elderly-instruments-mandolin-outfit.htm for a full beginner package--yes I know you said $200 but in mandolins you really get what you pay for, AND you can get just the instrument as well but this is a complete beginner package), it comes professionally set up, which these instruments really need. In fact, mandolins because they are double course and soprano voiced have incredibly high string tension that can put a beginner off, so even more than a guitar you really feel minor tweeks to set up so this step is crucial. The only upgrade something like that would "need" is a Cumberland Acoustics bridge, but that would be down the road if she decides to stick with it.

I started on one of these and it lasted me for years. Once it starts to sound funny then you are ready to upgrade but it will last for years and is a servicable musical instrument.

If you are strongly set on $200 then look for a used Mid Missouri or Big Muddy flat top. Again, all solid wood construction. The oval hole might put your wife off as its not like what Bill played, but for a beginner it sounds really good.

Edit edit to add: I would be happy to craft a long OP for a mandolin-specific thread if folks would like.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 1, 2017

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Bilirubin posted:

You know about Trevor's shop? He deals in moderate to high end mandolins for all seasons. I know the standard for celtic music are oval holes like Sobel (and if you have never played a Sobel do so, the most cathedral-like, majestic tone I have ever heard a mandolin make) and he's not in Shetland, but he has some of the finest selection of F holes (which do great for celtic too, Dan Beimborn plays a Weins--with Virzi--fwiw) shipping should be easier from inside the UK

http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/

I am aware of that site, but the problem is the only thing feasibly within my price range is the Eastman and I'd rather buy local if the fella in Stonehaven can do financing. Otherwise, have you had good experience with that website?

And no, I haven't played a Sobell, I don't reckon I will anytime soon, and there's absolutely no way I can afford it, but I don't reckon it's quite what I'm after anyway. I want something fast, load, and sharp.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Bilirubin posted:

Edit edit to add: I would be happy to craft a long OP for a mandolin-specific thread if folks would like.

I'd love a mandolin specific thread. My Ibanez keeps losing tuning on the A course, flat AND sharp, and I have no idea what the poo poo is going on. Nut seems stable. Bah.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

Kentucky 150

Edit: a bit more of an explanation. The Kentucky 150 has a solid wood top, which for an entry level archtop, f-holed mandolin (for bluegrass) gives really great sound. If you buy from somewhere like Elderly (see https://www.elderly.com/elderly-instruments-mandolin-outfit.htm for a full beginner package--yes I know you said $200 but in mandolins you really get what you pay for, AND you can get just the instrument as well but this is a complete beginner package), it comes professionally set up, which these instruments really need. In fact, mandolins because they are double course and soprano voiced have incredibly high string tension that can put a beginner off, so even more than a guitar you really feel minor tweeks to set up so this step is crucial. The only upgrade something like that would "need" is a Cumberland Acoustics bridge, but that would be down the road if she decides to stick with it.

I started on one of these and it lasted me for years. Once it starts to sound funny then you are ready to upgrade but it will last for years and is a servicable musical instrument.

If you are strongly set on $200 then look for a used Mid Missouri or Big Muddy flat top. Again, all solid wood construction. The oval hole might put your wife off as its not like what Bill played, but for a beginner it sounds really good.

Thank you so much for all this useful information, but my wife already told me not to bother, that she wouldn't have the time or the inclination to learn or practice. But at least I got us tickets to see Rhonda Vincent live in February.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Coohoolin posted:

I am aware of that site, but the problem is the only thing feasibly within my price range is the Eastman and I'd rather buy local if the fella in Stonehaven can do financing. Otherwise, have you had good experience with that website?

And no, I haven't played a Sobell, I don't reckon I will anytime soon, and there's absolutely no way I can afford it, but I don't reckon it's quite what I'm after anyway. I want something fast, load, and sharp.

I haven't done no, as I don't live in the UK. I have known the owner for years from the Mandolin Cafe and he's a pretty class act, and its an assortment not commonly found outside North America. But yes, those mandolins are spendy.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Coohoolin posted:

I'd love a mandolin specific thread. My Ibanez keeps losing tuning on the A course, flat AND sharp, and I have no idea what the poo poo is going on. Nut seems stable. Bah.

OK, enormous effort post incoming.

Assuming you have already checked that the tuners are holding and the bridge is placed correctly as well, then it's probably a problem with the fretboard itself. It's not uncommon for those to be a little off in intonation. A lot of old Gibsons have this problem because the template they were cut from was off.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Bilirubin posted:

Assuming you have already checked that the tuners are holding and the bridge is placed correctly as well, then it's probably a problem with the fretboard itself. It's not uncommon for those to be a little off in intonation. A lot of old Gibsons have this problem because the template they were cut from was off.

Yeah I'll bring it to the folk shop down in Stonehaven for a checkup. It's a pain in the rear end having to retune after every single piece, and sometimes even lose tuning in the middle of one.

If the online shop guy is reliable than I might take him up on his financing offers for an Eastman. Unless the folk shop does financing, in which case I'd prefer buying locally.

Edit: this is what my current wee duo plays, so an instrument that works well for this type of stuff is what I'm after.
https://soundcloud.com/user-47088428-313963836/sets/demos

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Bilirubin posted:

Feel free to do that but you're also welcome to keep chatting in here about mandolins, I'm totally digging it. I played my Eastman today a little bit. I can put a link to your post in my OP here too.

Ive been going to my Monday night bluegrass jam a lot. There's a honky tonk guy that sings a lot of Hank Sr and Circle album stuff that injects excitement into the session. I'm working on singing Rank Stranger, Big Scioty on Mandolin, and jamming out the middle part of Midnight Moonlight on the banjo. I dusted off my soundcloud and will try and put something up on the latter.

I also just got J.D. Crowe's biography and have been working my way through that. What a great voice on the banjo.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Planet X posted:

Feel free to do that but you're also welcome to keep chatting in here about mandolins, I'm totally digging it. I played my Eastman today a little bit. I can put a link to your post in my OP here too.

Ive been going to my Monday night bluegrass jam a lot. There's a honky tonk guy that sings a lot of Hank Sr and Circle album stuff that injects excitement into the session. I'm working on singing Rank Stranger, Big Scioty on Mandolin, and jamming out the middle part of Midnight Moonlight on the banjo. I dusted off my soundcloud and will try and put something up on the latter.

I also just got J.D. Crowe's biography and have been working my way through that. What a great voice on the banjo.

Cool. Not trying to split off more general bluegrass chat or anything, but the amount of words I just vomited out would probably sprain most non mandolin folks' scrolling fingers :)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842488

Thanks!

I'm right now working at getting practice back to a regular part of my evening routine, rebuild calluses, and then perhaps start going back to our weekly jam again. Really need to work on my ear and improvisational skills to deal with all of those songs I don't know well enough to fake it when they come up at the jam.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is there any risk buying second hand? I am going to start learning banjo and I've spotted a Deering Goodtime Special for $800 (slightly cheaper than a basic open back Goodtime in Australia, they're so expensive...) but I don't want it to be beyond my ability to tune and set up. It looks absolutely brand new and has been sitting in a cupboard for a couple of years, but I don't know what a couple of years does to a banjo.

Brinx
Aug 1, 2005
mouse is a biscuit
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Is there any risk buying second hand?

Probably not. They're pretty hardy instruments. As long as there isn't obvious damage (cracks etc.). Check the neck is straight and nothing looks warped or bent, nothing rattles and the head feels uniformly tight when you press on it with your thumb.

It's generally easy to make minor adjustments for string height etc. if needed. Plenty of YouTube videos on banjo maintenance.

Hopefully it's a legitimate sale. If you'll be buying it in person, you can always ask the seller to play it in front of you briefly just to check everything sounds like a normal banjo. If you take an electronic tuner, you can do a quick basic check of the harmonics by checking that the note you get for each string at the 12th fret registers the same (or pretty close) as the note when you play the same string open.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Brinx posted:

Probably not. They're pretty hardy instruments. As long as there isn't obvious damage (cracks etc.). Check the neck is straight and nothing looks warped or bent, nothing rattles and the head feels uniformly tight when you press on it with your thumb.

It's generally easy to make minor adjustments for string height etc. if needed. Plenty of YouTube videos on banjo maintenance.

Hopefully it's a legitimate sale. If you'll be buying it in person, you can always ask the seller to play it in front of you briefly just to check everything sounds like a normal banjo. If you take an electronic tuner, you can do a quick basic check of the harmonics by checking that the note you get for each string at the 12th fret registers the same (or pretty close) as the note when you play the same string open.

Yeah the banjo has only been played a few times (and it looks it, it's basically brand new) I was just wondering if it sitting in the cupboard for years might have meant a headache for me. Sounds like this is going to be a smart way to go since it's a good quality instrument for close to half what they sell for new in Aus.

I'll be buying it in person, so here we go. I figure I'm better of buying a better quality instrument with a resonator now, rather than paying 300-400 and having to do it in the future anyway.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

OK I did it. Any recommendations on beginners books or online lessons? I play classical, Irish folk and Gypsy violin so I can read music pretty well, but I don't want to kick off a new instrument ingraining lovely habits. I'm also not that inclined to get lessons since they're expensive and I feel confident I can manage on my own if I've got some good material to teach myself with.

I want to play bluegrass on this baby.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Did you get a 5-string or tenor? If tenor, Gerry O'Connor has a good book on Irish banjo that might be a good starting point for anything.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Coohoolin posted:

Did you get a 5-string or tenor? If tenor, Gerry O'Connor has a good book on Irish banjo that might be a good starting point for anything.

5-string. I want to play bluegrass mainly and I'm sort of teaching myself some songs on the violin. I was listening to heaps of Steep Canyon Rangers and my eye started twitching like "buy a banjo, you have to buy a banjo, buy it now, buy it now".

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I can talk to you all day about 5 string Scruggs banjo

There are lots of online lesson places, but I'd say start with - what do you listen to? What bands? Do you like any particular songs that you want to learn? If you have a song in your head, it makes it easier to learn.

There are bluegrass standards, you should learn these. You should learn what a 1/4/5 progression is and also try and find a bluegrass group or jams in your area.

Buy the Earl Scruggs book on the 5 string banjo.

If you bought the banjo used, get the strings changed or change them yourself

Buy a banjo mute after a while. it's good to have one for just doing rolls while watching TV, but also lets you hear if you're scratching the head of the banjo with your picks

Banjo is great, I just got back from our Monday night jam and I'm all FIRED UP

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I definitely need new strings. These are out of tune almost the instant I get them going. They've been sitting in the banjo for three years so I will give it a restring tonight.

I've been listening to lots of Steve Martin's stuff in the car due to being a massive Steve Martin fan, but all his songs are lots of fun to listen to and the albums with Edie Brickell are great too. One of my favourite bands is Graveyard Train who are "horror country" but I like anything with a somewhat foreboding country or bluegrass sound. I think I'm going to get Martin's The Crow songbook.

If I'm totally honest I'm going to sit at home and learn Cripple Creek...

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Looking at getting a banjo; I know Rondo are pretty liked here for their guitars, do you guys have an opinion on their banjos?

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Working on fixing up my dad's old banjo: it's a Seeger longneck built by Framus in the 60s. It definitely needs some work, but the neck is straight and the frets are in good shape. Seeing as my sole banjo experience is with Irish tenor, I have a few questions:

• Planetary/orbital tuners vs regular machine heads: is it a huge difference? It currently has garbage open-back guitar style machine heads that are hell to turn, so they're getting replaced. Not sure if it's worth it to drill out and resize things, unless there's a reason to go with pegs or something that I just don't see.
  • Head replacement and tensioning - any recommended guides and/or sources for banjo heads and bridges? The current head is collapsing and the bridge is a delightfully curved shape.
  • Any good starting places for basic banjo rolls for old-time/Appalachian stuff? Not as much of a bluegrass guy, but I'm looking to do some basic folk/union/protest stuff because it's fun as hell to play with my local.
  • Any other poo poo I should know before 5-string banjo prep? Already play a number of other instruments of comparable arrangement, but I'd hate to apply weird, bad technique to this.

Thanks for any help with this. I'm sure I'll end up spending more than this instrument is worth, but it feels appropriate to restore it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm just a beginning banjoist, only been playing since March at the earliest. I've got a bunch of books, including Scruggs and the 5-string, and I'm picking along doing my thing, having a great time. I live in the rear end-end of Quebec, and the nearest banjo teacher is like a six-hour drive away, so in-person lessons are out of the question.

I can only progress so far on my own, I think, so I'm curious about any advice on how to get better other than just drilling at my song books everyday. I know buying tchotchkies isn't it, anyway.

Christ, I can't wait til I can sit on my back stoop in the evening and fart my way through some songs. It's goddamn -25C here right now.

Also, are mutes actually worth it? This thing is loud, and it makes me hesitant to really go nuts.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm just a beginning banjoist, only been playing since March at the earliest. I've got a bunch of books, including Scruggs and the 5-string, and I'm picking along doing my thing, having a great time. I live in the rear end-end of Quebec, and the nearest banjo teacher is like a six-hour drive away, so in-person lessons are out of the question.

I can only progress so far on my own, I think, so I'm curious about any advice on how to get better other than just drilling at my song books everyday. I know buying tchotchkies isn't it, anyway.

Christ, I can't wait til I can sit on my back stoop in the evening and fart my way through some songs. It's goddamn -25C here right now.

Also, are mutes actually worth it? This thing is loud, and it makes me hesitant to really go nuts.

If you're in Abitibi I can recommend a great player, not sure he teaches formally but surely you can jam along and get some tricks.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Mutes are very worth it. I got a Mike's Mute off of banjo hangout.

- Changes the sound a bit to a more acoustic guitary sound. Fun.
- Significant volume reduction it if you're practicing around a TV or other people.
- I like that it lets me hear my picks scraping up against the head so I can tune my technique.
- On point #2, it lets you play full steam ahead, getting maximum and even strikes with the picks, because you're not worrying about volume. This helps if you're looking to up the consistency of your rolls or to focus enunciation of one right hand finger.

ON the subject of progression in an isolated situation, if you have the money, check out Artist Works or other places where you can sign up to go back and forth with an instructor and have them critique you. Bennett Sullivan and Banjo Ben have good online lessons too.

Colonel J posted:

Looking at getting a banjo; I know Rondo are pretty liked here for their guitars, do you guys have an opinion on their banjos?

Personally, I don't. An open back Goodtime ($350) is a pretty good starter banjo that holds up well for the money. Recording Kings are too. You won't be able to get much volume out of it in a sizeable jam or performance situation. Great home / camp / starter banjo.

Hedningen posted:

Working on fixing up my dad's old banjo: it's a Seeger longneck built by Framus in the 60s. It definitely needs some work, but the neck is straight and the frets are in good shape.

I can't offer much advice here either than maybe going to Banjo Hangout and checking there. I know of some good banjo resources in SF, Austin, and East Coast, but not sure where you're located.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 30, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Decided I want to try learning the banjo again after my initial rage quit. Is it an acceptable method to just practice learn some rolls and practice those until they sit? I get confused at the forms and chords and poo poo.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Aw man, almost forgot to play Eighth of January today! Fortunately I stumbled across the dots and it reminded me to run through it a few times.

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

This may be of interest to a few folks... It's not a "traditional" bluegrass composition, but (sort of) my personal take on something like it, featuring quite a bit of picking in the midsection.... It's called "Ellipse".

https://vimeo.com/252008154

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Sneak peek into the Lost Highway Ensemble rehearsals, minus our fiddler and double bassist. Any criticism of my mandolin solos would be well received!

https://youtu.be/0SYYRrrwLIY

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 24, 2018

• Locked thread