Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
I bought a banjo today having never played any instrument in my life. I'm interested in learning clawhammer and planning on giving either the Clawhammer Banjo 8 Steps or Banjo Blitz video lessons a go (probably the former).

Pretty stoked to finally be getting round to learning to play something after years of always saying 'some time'. I was planning on buying a bass but I've been listening to a bunch of folk/folk punk lately and thought 'gently caress it, banjos are cooler'.

Blacknose fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

It's a Rover RB22. Nothing fancy at all, just something cheap to try it out with.

I watched some of that guys videos the other day. He seems like a really accessible teacher but I'm keen on learning clawhammer and his stuff all seems to be bluegrass.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

Bought and built one of the backyard music banjo kits so I could have a lightweight banjo to take backpacking, and holy hell I love this thing so much, I actually play it way more than my Deering Goodtime Special!

Also just discovered Jim Pankey has a series of videos for learning clawhammer/frailing style, so that's my next thing I want to work on learning :D

E: fixed link

Did you go for the fireside or the basic kit? How was the build process and what's it like to play?

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Sounds pretty good. I'm tempted to pick one up as a winter project.

• Locked thread