Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
:siren: Dobro player invading a :banjo: thread :siren:

I've got a question for you guys. It's not specifically banjo related but as far as jams with other people, how do you guys find out about this stuff? My experience has been that it is really hard to find other people who play bluegrass instruments and I want to learn techniques from actual people in a casual setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

quote:

Hope this helps. You are welcome to post about your dobro here. I love it when a dobro player shows up to the jam, because then we can play fireball mail the way it's supposed to be played.

Awesome. Does anyone have any tracks they can share that I might be able to play along with? I just recorded this in garage band to see what kind of playing I could do with a rhythm. I'm pretty terrible and can't get my own beats down so it might be helpful if I could play along.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I've got some good links for the OP in case there are any other Dobro players or interested persons here.

https://www.reso-nation.org
and
https://www.resohangout.com
are two of the biggest ones. Most of the big name players post there so it's cool to be able to interact with the best of the best. Reso-Nation's main page is all youtube videos which is pretty cool.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I don't play banjo but I do finger pick on Dobro and resonator guitar. When I'm picking my round neck I try to anchor my pinkee in one of the sound holes on the cover plate but when I'm playing lap style on my dobros I keep my hand floating most of the time. It's pretty much essential to be able to hit 5 of the strings with my thumb and the neck is much wider than a banjo. Then again I have a palm rest so it makes it a little easier.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

Roctor posted:

Keepin this bad boy alive!

Not bluegrass exactly but close enough, I did a quick take of this tonight and thought I'd post it here:

http://tindeck.com/listen/xstt

So anybody up for some sort of internet collab? I don't really know how it would work but we can pick a simple song and I could put down some rythm on my bitchin' mandocello for people to use and play over and then somebody (me, I guess?) can piece it all together.

I'm down for this. I've been focusing on backup playing the dobro lately so this would rule to practice on. The cello in your track sounds almost like pedal steel in the beginning, which is awesome.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I joined the Resohangout site, which is linked to the Banjo, Mandolin, Guitar and Fiddle hangouts as well. I just discovered a cool java chat room they have and there are dudes video jamming on it, it's pretty neat and worth checking out if you have any questions or just want to jam. All the sites link to one chat room too.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I just moved to Florida and immediately found an awesome group of pickers to jam with. They're all like 30 years older than me so have shitloads of experience. I consider myself a dirty old man trapped in side a 27 year old body so I get along really well with them though. I jammed at the back of the circle for a month then the other day I took my first break on dobro and blew everyone away. I can't speak highly enough of jamming now as an awesome way to learn. I've started building my own dobro too since I can't justify the cost of a true custom maple guitar.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

Planet X posted:

On which song?

Long gone, I just took every Josh Graves, Rob Ickes and Mike Auldridge lick I knew and threw in some arpeggios. I basically tried to keep the time and cram as many notes as I could in. When I try to play it at home it sounds terrible, it's amazing how the rest of the instruments fill the gaps.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I tried the Alaska picks, you pretty much have to have long fingernails for them to work, otherwise I found they just flop around a lot. I'm using propik reso's right now but I'm looking at perfect touch and Bob Perry's next.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I've been jamming with some awesome older guys in FL for the past three months, here's a song we did that someone put on youtube. I'm the one in the hat with the black Dobro. Jamming alone has easily tripled my musical vocabulary and precision. :banjo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HujwyZHmVHg

I got an MP3 recorder for Christmas, Here's the first test piece I did, just a bunch of noodling on my Beard Dobro

N183CS fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 11, 2012

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
My jam group ran pretty long last week so I hung out even after I was tired of playing. I got lucky and the remaining players did one of my favorite songs. I love the kickoff they do in it. It sounds so much better when played with a fiddle and dobro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql3RsBAX8IE&context=C3620e8eADOEgsToPDskI9WzApWfsTar1aSb2z0R5d

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
Earl will be missed. He was truly the king. No one could pick like him. I finally figured out what Scruggs tuners were a few weeks ago after seeing my buddy play Earls breakdown with his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBe5R276wL0

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

Bubbacub posted:

I think this is the prettiest banjo tune I've ever heard:

http://youtu.be/5Jd51cRJmoo

That's a sweet version. I love Jason Burleson's playing on the Blue Highway version. He just plucks away on the rhythm, gives it an awesome deep south feel.
http://youtu.be/neZ__QNglPM
I got to see them play it last month. Holy crap what an amazing band. Probably the tightest band besides AKUS I've ever seen in any genre. I got to see three shows in two days and hang out with the band. To a bluegrass picker that's like being able to hang out with Metallica. Rob Ickes even gave me and my buddy a private show on my buddies new Dobro.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I just took possession of a 200+ year old banjo killer! I commissioned this reso guitar back in April. It's build from Koa salvaged from a Hawaiian hotel that was demolished in 1922. The tone, volume and playability are amazing.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I joined one of the local bluegrass clubs down here in West Central FL and went to my first jam with them a couple of weeks ago. My local jam group is a little more focused than these guys so it was great to get out and work on new stuff or old songs in new keys or different tempos etc. Here we are doing a long version of Fireball Mail. My Dobro break comes up around 3:30, right after the guy who seemed to only know how to do slants played his. The big guy with the RQ Jones dobro and singing is a local legend. He played dobro with Uncle Josh graves back in the day and recorded and produced his own cd by himself that sounds like an entire band playing at once.
http://youtu.be/0C0P5X0xGoc

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
Nice! I didn't know Gold Tone made a lap steel. I've got a few nice lap steels and they are fun as hell to play. It's amazing how well they fit in with more progressive style bluegrass. Jerry Douglas used his extensively in the newest AKUS album and it sounds awesome.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
So I ordered a new Dobro from a guy out on Long Island. He just started building not too long ago so I was asking him who his references were. Turns out Todd Livingston, the guy who played in Gangstagrass is playing one! I talked to him about it for a while and also Andy Hall from the Infamous Stringdusters and they both said they are amazing. I think my favorite thing about Bluegrass music is the access to all the great musicians. There's no other music where you can walk up to one of the top players in the genre and just BS all day. I had about a half hour conversation last month with Tim Stafford, of AKUS and Blue Highway fame, then spent a day jamming and picking the brain of 14 time IBMA Dobro player of the year Rob Ickes. I love this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
Yeah I just got a new custom one back in December but I saw the wood for the new one and couldn't pass it up. It's grafted walnut. Taken from an old orchard tree, it's actually two species in one piece of wood. I'm trying to thin out my collection, but each one has such a distinctive voice that I just keep them.

• Locked thread