Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Looking at getting a banjo; I know Rondo are pretty liked here for their guitars, do you guys have an opinion on their banjos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm just a beginning banjoist, only been playing since March at the earliest. I've got a bunch of books, including Scruggs and the 5-string, and I'm picking along doing my thing, having a great time. I live in the rear end-end of Quebec, and the nearest banjo teacher is like a six-hour drive away, so in-person lessons are out of the question.

I can only progress so far on my own, I think, so I'm curious about any advice on how to get better other than just drilling at my song books everyday. I know buying tchotchkies isn't it, anyway.

Christ, I can't wait til I can sit on my back stoop in the evening and fart my way through some songs. It's goddamn -25C here right now.

Also, are mutes actually worth it? This thing is loud, and it makes me hesitant to really go nuts.

If you're in Abitibi I can recommend a great player, not sure he teaches formally but surely you can jam along and get some tricks.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I've coincidentally been learning clawhammer - as I understand it, there are 2 motions :
1) hitting with one finger
2) brushing all the strings + pulling off with the thumb.

Should my thumb come to rest on the smallest string for both motions, or is it fine if it just comes down for the second one? As a guitar player I'm more used to keeping it in the air for motion #1, but I'm wondering if it's a bah habit that'll bite back later.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

quadrophrenic posted:

floating your thumb makes it easier to drop thumb, which you will do a lot of when you inevitably get bored of bum ditty

i don't have my banjo with me atm so I can't check how I do it, but I'm 99% sure I keep my thumb floating for all motions except sounding the fifth string, but again I hardly ever play bum ditty these days so :shrug:

Thanks for the answer, I'll keep doing what I'm doing then. Banjo is amazing, it's like easy mode, better sounding guitar for me so far. I really like the reactions people have when I take out the banjo and just start doing random poo poo, kids in particular get very impressed.

In other news, I'm looking at mandolins on kijiji. For 100$ should I get :

- an Epiphone mandolin : https://www.kijiji.ca/v-amplificateur-pedale/ville-de-montreal/mandoline-epiphone-pedales-overdrives-boss-bd-2-t-rex-et-ehx/1367228362 )

- or this Alabama : https://kijiji.ca/v-instrument-a-corde/ville-de-montreal/mandoline-alabama/1362257403

or there won't be much of a difference anyway at this price level?

• Locked thread