Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
econdroidbot
Mar 1, 2008

AS USELESS AS A HAT FULL OF BUSTED ASSHOLES

Pious Pete posted:

Clawhammer is hella confusing. I've tried to learn a handful of times, but none of it seems to stick.

I play clawhammer banjo, so I hope it's ok to post in the thread. It took me a while to get the rhythm and figure out what to do with my right hand, but with enough repetition I got the hang of it. For now I play on an entry level Gold Tone. I played a few Deering banjos and didn't like the feel of it, but it's been a while and I can't remember specifically what I didn't like. Anyway, I know a handful of songs in open G, Double C, G-modal, and maybe one or two other tunings.

Other than strumming around on a guitar once in a while, banjo is the first instrument that I've received instruction on. It's a really, really fun instrument, even for a music dumb-dumb like me!

I've plateau'd with my skill, and one problem I'm running into is finding new tabs to play can be a pain. Banjo (particularly clawhammer) isn't exactly popular, so I just try and pick stuff out by ear because I can't find it online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

econdroidbot
Mar 1, 2008

Planet X posted:

Aren't there any jams in your area? That's helped me the most.

Sorry for the delay in responding; I got probated for trolling the GBS. There are a few jams in my area, but I've had night school classes at that time. I'm graduating in a few weeks, so those nights should be free!

One thing in particular that I know I need to work on is keeping tempo, as I'm prone to speed up or slow down at irregular intervals. I could play with a metronome, but that's not as fun.

I'm going to start taking lessons again in the next month or two, so I need to brush up on drop thumbing. I got lazy and sloppy and use it only in a few places, but to get better I know I have to utilize that technique.

Do you like to sing when you play? I do, which is particularly fun with a couple of the sillier songs I know. It's a surprisingly good party trick/novelty to play a song like "Old Ground Hog" and give people the lyrics. I should make friends with a fiddle player and we could get all the jams.

econdroidbot
Mar 1, 2008

N183CS posted:

:siren: Dobro player invading a :banjo: thread :siren:

I've got a question for you guys. It's not specifically banjo related but as far as jams with other people, how do you guys find out about this stuff? My experience has been that it is really hard to find other people who play bluegrass instruments and I want to learn techniques from actual people in a casual setting.

The only way I hear about jams is through a folk music school in my city. (http://www.oldtownschool.org/) There are fliers all over the place for people that want to jam, although few are actually looking specifically for a banjo player. I don't know how else I would find jams if it wasn't through the school.

• Locked thread