Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I got buck wild on an impulse and decided to learn the banjoes :banjo:

I've never played music or learned notes before, so I hope I'll be okay. I got a teacher, and borrowed a banjo off him I can buy if I want to. It says "Epiphone" on the neck, but is allegedly Chinese in origin. He assures me it's a good entry-level banjo, and it seems to look and sound great!

There's a month to my lessons start. What can I do in the meantime? Please explain as you would a slow child.

Tias fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

First lesson today!

Teach wants me to use apps to learn, but nearly all of them are on IOS and I don't own any apple products( nor do I have any money, because I spent them all on a banjo) :eng99:

Is there a good banjo chord app for android, like 123 banjo chords for IOS?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Planet X posted:

I don't know of any for Android.

If you're a beginner, just learn the 3 primary chord forms, seventh and minor forms. Between that, rolls and learning songs, that should keep you plenty busy for a while.

Can you explain what the 3 primary chord forms, seventh and minor forms are?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Planet X posted:

http://www.elfshot.com/banjo/info_chords.htm

There are 3 basic chord forms. You use these 3 shapes to make major chords all over the neck. Does this make sense?

The "inversions" part of the page above illustrates this. For example, for a G chord, you use the F shape at the third fret, then use the D shape at the seventh fret and so on.

Get these down before you learn seventh and minor chords. Do you know what sevenths and minors do, musically?

No, I have no music background, but I suppose I shall learn. Thanks a lot!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Decided I want to try learning the banjo again after my initial rage quit. Is it an acceptable method to just practice learn some rolls and practice those until they sit? I get confused at the forms and chords and poo poo.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Looking like a D'addario clip tuner myself, but is it any good compared to just tuning with a mic or by ear? I'm on a serious shoestring budget, so I'd rather not pay for anything but picks and strings if it isn't a good investment.

Tias
May 25, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

If you're looking for a clip on banjo tuner, I'd just get the Snark ST-8 Super Tuner.

And it will fit a basic epihone 5-string model? It will, I assume, since it's clip on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Hey, sorry but I can't find a better thread: What's a good, cheap brand of starter ukulele? I'm in northern Europe, if that matters.

• Locked thread