Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
I have had a banjo for about a year now, but for my birthday the missus got a collection going and got me some lessons. How long until I stop sucking so hard? My left hand is like it is made out of hotdogs in a big rubber glove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

How long did it take you guys to get a sort of... ease, I guess, with the banjo? I don't play guitar or bass or anything, so this is my first music experience. I am not expecting to bust out Foggy Mountain Breakdown yet or anything, but maybe when I could look forward to hanging out with others and following along or what have you. poo poo is hard. Arrgh.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Smeed posted:

How long have you been learning? I'm about a month in and I can play basic songs and I only practice once every couple days. If you just began its boring to start, then a lot of fun once you're able to play a basic tune. I found the best way to breeze past a trouble spot is to put the banjo down and revisit it the next day. Its mostly muscle memory I guess.

I can noodle out tabbed songs, I guess I just am eager for when it sounds like bluegrass and less like me plinking away.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong with hammer ons? I try to tag the string with all force possible but it ends up sounding like a hummingbird fart.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Planet X posted:

You hitting it right behind the fret? Make sure you're fretting the notes right behind the fret, not the space in between.

Wierd, I woke up this morning and picked up THE MACHINE and suddenly sucked less. They still don't sound great and I still can't do a pulloff without hitting another string but progress is progress.

• Locked thread