Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
So after a few months of wanting/pining for a banjo my parents got me one for Christmas this year. They got a pretty nice Gold Tone 5 string with a resonator. I am already a professional fingerstyle guitar player so I thought a banjo would be fairly quick to learn and so far I think I'm right. I've already got a couple easy rolls down (double thumb and couple variations) and have figured out most of the open position chords and I can already play a few tunes (mainly grateful dead tunes and Old and in the Way)

However I'm having a really tough time getting the forward and backward rolls going. I play mostly alternating thumb acoustic stuff and I'm having a really hard time getting my thumb to not play on down beats. Is there any way to un-train my thumb?

Also I already love the banjo and may be a life long convert. Who needs guitars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
So I thought this might be a good place to post this. After a couple days of learning this tune I figured I could play it well enough to try to record.

It's a Grateful Dead tune. What should be working on now? I got the double thumb roll pretty much to perfection. How could I spice up a tune like this?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Don't get the Fat Heads, they are good mics for the money but ribbon mics can break if you look at them funny, not suitable at all for live situations. AT 2020's are great mics for the money and very warm for a cheap condensor. The AKG P220's and $420's are also great for the money. Also check out some of the entry level condensors from SE.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

PoorPeteBest posted:

That Cascade mic sounds incredible, I wonder how much of that is the room/pre-amplification. It sure would suck to have an accident though.

I keep hearing good things about the AT2020, but would there be any distinct benefit in upgrading to the AT2035? I know it has low-cut and pad buttons but the construction seems otherwise pretty similar to the 2020. Is there anything else in the $150 range that would be worth considering?

Do you need a pair of mics or just one?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

N183CS posted:

I joined one of the local bluegrass clubs down here in West Central FL and went to my first jam with them a couple of weeks ago. My local jam group is a little more focused than these guys so it was great to get out and work on new stuff or old songs in new keys or different tempos etc. Here we are doing a long version of Fireball Mail. My Dobro break comes up around 3:30, right after the guy who seemed to only know how to do slants played his. The big guy with the RQ Jones dobro and singing is a local legend. He played dobro with Uncle Josh graves back in the day and recorded and produced his own cd by himself that sounds like an entire band playing at once.
http://youtu.be/0C0P5X0xGoc

I posted this in the gear trades thread but I figure this might bea good place to put it too since it's sort of a specialty instrument:
5 y/o Gold Tone LS-6

These go new for about $550, I'd like to get $325 +shipping. Comes with a hardshell case and I'll throw in a Shubb steel

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

N183CS posted:

Nice! I didn't know Gold Tone made a lap steel. I've got a few nice lap steels and they are fun as hell to play. It's amazing how well they fit in with more progressive style bluegrass. Jerry Douglas used his extensively in the newest AKUS album and it sounds awesome.

I'm actually trying to sell it, I only every played fake pedal steel stuff on it and now I have a real pedal steel rendering this obsolete for me.

Also yeah that video is awesome and so is that old guy.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

ZeusCannon posted:

While I'm asking does anyone have recommendations for a good thumbpick? I have a pretty standard on in medium and it is to drat small but I can't find a large at the store for whatever reason. I had someone recommend bridge brand picks?

http://www.guptillmusic.com/propik-metal-plastic-thumb-pick/

These are so nice, the metal stays put without clamping down and turning my thumb purple.

I actually use the thumb flat, I just like the shape better. I use it for banjo, guitar and electric guitar and it's awesome for all of them

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 28, 2015

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Looking for advice here.

I'm upgrading from my Epiphone MB-100 learner banjo to a resonator. I'll probably stay in the $500 range. So far, I've tried out the Recording King RK-R20 and really like it. What are anyone's thoughts on that particular model? What are other similar-level and similarly priced models I should consider in the Gold Top and Deering lines?

There isn't really anything in that price point that is at all comparable in the Deering lineup, their stuff in that range generally don't have resonators. I got a Gold Tone as my first banjo and it is not great, the RK blows it away.

As an aside, and not to be all salesmany, but 1.) I'm a Recording King dealer, I know my cost on that, tell me what you would be paying for that banjo and let me see if I could beat it for you including shipping 2.) I'm selling a Savannah SB-100 for $225 shipped http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3732491 , it's better than the Gold Tone I own and it's been hanging around my shop forever, but it is a new instrument. Make me an offer on it if you want.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

I played the Savannah next to the RK and didn't like it as much. I like the tone ring, tuners, 4 - 6 or whatever additional hooks, and overall aesthetics of the RK, and the sound was a good bit louder. The RK is $489 with a gig bag, $500 with a hard case. I really like this shop and owner, he's got tons of neat old Harmony/Kay, Silvertone, Supro, etc stuff. He also said he might do a partial trade on my fretless Jazz Bass.

So at some level, I want to give him business just because I really dig his business approach and his collection of neat poo poo.

No problem, between shipping to me and shipping to you, any money I make would be totally negligible anyway, I just try to do goons a solid if I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

I do appreciate the offer. You got a hookup on Alaska picks by any chance?

Oh, and just to clarify, I take it the RK is a Good Banjo?

I don't, I don't know if they distribute themselves or who I'd have to track down. But I do use them myself and would endorse them 100%.

I think RK makes some of the best stuff in their price range period. Their banjos are untouchable in that price range. My only qualm with them is that they are Chinese made and I try as hard as possible to sell USA or Canadian made stuff.

• Locked thread