Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Got a super hunk of junk used banjo, it's older, the guy who had it dated it to at least the 70s because there were pre-Martin Vega strings in the case. It's a Silvertone brand... no serial # or ID. Anybody know anything about these? It's not nice by any means but that's kinda why I like it. And for someone coming from fingerpicking guitar, any observations on learning banjo?

global tetrahedron fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

I dunno if you've got Spotify but this track featuring Sam McGee and Arthur Smith always stood out to me for some reason, it's got a nice combination of a lead line and rhythmic arpeggiation on the banjo, and it's catchy as hell.

http://open.spotify.com/track/7dCWoeHuIbrEKnMmNdijem

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Crossposting here from the guitar thread, might be more likely to get a good answer here:

Anybody have some insights on resonator guitars? Do any of you own one? What do you think and what did you pay?

I tried one out yesterday at the store for the first time and I think I'm smitten. I was playing a Gretch model, which was all they had in stock. Tried both the wood and the metal bodied versions, slightly edging towards metal for now. I really like the sound, how present and loud it is. Looking to probably try and trade in my Taylor 214ce for one. After the trade in, I don't mind spotting a couple hundred dollars to work up to something nice. So maybe in the 800-1000 dollar range?

However, something about the feel of the Grestch didn't jive with me, it felt a bit cheap and things seemed kind of hard to fret. I'd been playing two thousand dollar Guilds right before that, on which fretting felt like silk, so smooth and easy to play. I don't know if it was this Gretsch model specifically that felt chintzy or if resonators at that price point will just have that kind of tacky feel? They were retailing for about 500 dollars. Apparently they are new to the market, too?

Anyway, looking for more advice on where to proceed here. Checking Craiglist next but have a feeling the ones on there are going to be vintage/owned by old rich retired dudes and way out of my price range.

Also, are most dobros/resonators meant to be played with a slide? Hence the lack of refined feel on the fretboard? Because the store had both 'normal' nuts and then ones with a raised nut that were specifically for slide.

• Locked thread