Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm just a beginning banjoist, only been playing since March at the earliest. I've got a bunch of books, including Scruggs and the 5-string, and I'm picking along doing my thing, having a great time. I live in the rear end-end of Quebec, and the nearest banjo teacher is like a six-hour drive away, so in-person lessons are out of the question.

I can only progress so far on my own, I think, so I'm curious about any advice on how to get better other than just drilling at my song books everyday. I know buying tchotchkies isn't it, anyway.

Christ, I can't wait til I can sit on my back stoop in the evening and fart my way through some songs. It's goddamn -25C here right now.

Also, are mutes actually worth it? This thing is loud, and it makes me hesitant to really go nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Banjos are cooler. They have a great sound, they're pretty versatile with all those different tunings, they're just weird enough I've had a fireman gushing over how neat it is when he was inspecting my house, and if you play it slowly in the woods at night you can scare the absolute poo poo out of campers.

• Locked thread