Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I am thinking of buying a seeger banjo, I already have a piece of crap epiphone that I bought last year and have been playing pretty regularly and really enjoying myself but I would love to have the same type of banjo as my main man Pete Seeger. Is there anything special that will have to do in order to play that type of banjo? Where is the best place to get a long banjo from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Any information on long neck banjos? I prefer to play clawhammer style and I'm currently playing on a open-backed epiphone that I got for like under $200 at a guitar center.

Edit: haha poo poo nobody look at my post history in this thread please :ohdear:

Miltank fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 13, 2013

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
What is a good clawhammer pick? I am going to bash my banjo against the wall if I have to deal with another loving broke fingernail.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

PoorPeteBest posted:

You could get an acrylic done. It can be dual purposed as a nifty tool for cutting lines of cocaine.

I take plastic Dunlop finger picks and wear them upside down. I also cut the tip down to match the contour of my fingernail. They work really well but I still go back to my nail once it grows back in. The natural sensitivity seems to make a difference for me.

thanks a lot I'll give that a try.

Unrelated note: Does anyone know where to find a tab for The Blizzard's Never Seen the Desert Sand by The Tallest man on Earth? I have been obsessed with this song for like a year now and have yet to find any sort of tab.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Captain Mediocre posted:

Ahh I worked this song out years ago and wrote out what I could in the 16 bars that free TablEdit lets you have. It's in a weird tuning and its not a perfect tab by any means, but if you'd like to take a look at it go ahead.

There's a couple bars I know aren't right (5&6 for one thing) and I'm sure plenty of other mistakes. It's missing a few of the grace notes which get slipped in around the place. Hope it helps though.

Tuning is GDF#AD, with a capo on 2nd, except the 5th string which has a capo on 4th.

Thank you so much! I am really loving this tab.

E:I really can't afford to make a bad purchase so can anyone tell me if either of these suck?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-Pirle...=item4acd65f8ea

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-60-...=item19e5db4cc8

Miltank fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 17, 2013

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mlaGOhWCg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD9Qxb6-vO4

I am obsessed with this guy's two songs right now. does anyone here know of any similar sounding artists to listen to/ where to find music like this to play. The Cold Icy Mountain video says he is using "up-style" picking but I can't find anything about that elsewhere.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Planet X posted:

That's really cool, thanks for sharing. There's a guy here in Baltimore who's very prominent in the clawhammer and old time scene. I asked him about what you've posted, and this is what he had to say:

Why yes, I know a bunch of "Knott County" style banjo players. It's a very rhythmic style of playing unique to Knott County Kentucky that dates back many many years. I actually know Matt Kinman from various Old-Time festivals. He's a regular at Clifftop and some of the other big ones.

One of my good friends, Chris Ousley of the Bumper Jacksons, is a fine Knott County banjo player. Perhaps you know him? You've probably heard of the Bumper Jacksons but if not, you should check them out! They used to be from Baltimore (now DC) and they play trad jazz, swing, old country, folky music. They're an awesome band! Here is a video of Chris playing Knott County style banjo at the Windup Space:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuVstg1rR5o

This is awesome thank you so much! I am obsessed with this style, but now I need to figure out a way to play it. With all the hammer ons and pull offs it seems very difficult.

PoorPeteBest posted:

It sounds like a hammer-on followed by an alternate string pull off (where the note is played by plucking with your fretting hand.) Roscoe Holcomb made frequent use of that technique, you might check him out. I'll try and tab out the "roll" for you when I get a chance to grab my banjer.

I would very much appreciate a roll if you get the chance thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Is tablEdit 2.71 broken or something? I can't figure out how to get the note durations the way that I want them.

• Locked thread