Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Planet X posted:

Accomplished Austin artist Joe Sundell

Ha! I grew up with Joe and his family. They run a mean restaurant in Little Rock.

I just picked up a banjo after putting it down about 10 years ago. I also dabble around with a dobro and spend most of my time on a guitar or mandolin/octave mandolin.

Haven't seen much mention of newgrass type stuff in here, like Bela Fleck or Leftover Salmon. Here's Andy Thorn killing it on one of their new songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSHqJRcvntQ I caught them a few months ago and he's what inspired me to get back into pickin.

edit: Also, Drew Emmitt kills it on the mandolin pretty much all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Looking for advice here.

I'm upgrading from my Epiphone MB-100 learner banjo to a resonator. I'll probably stay in the $500 range. So far, I've tried out the Recording King RK-R20 and really like it. What are anyone's thoughts on that particular model? What are other similar-level and similarly priced models I should consider in the Gold Top and Deering lines?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I played the Savannah next to the RK and didn't like it as much. I like the tone ring, tuners, 4 - 6 or whatever additional hooks, and overall aesthetics of the RK, and the sound was a good bit louder. The RK is $489 with a gig bag, $500 with a hard case. I really like this shop and owner, he's got tons of neat old Harmony/Kay, Silvertone, Supro, etc stuff. He also said he might do a partial trade on my fretless Jazz Bass.

So at some level, I want to give him business just because I really dig his business approach and his collection of neat poo poo.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 26, 2015

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hollis Brownsound posted:

No problem, between shipping to me and shipping to you, any money I make would be totally negligible anyway, I just try to do goons a solid if I can.

I do appreciate the offer. You got a hookup on Alaska picks by any chance?

Oh, and just to clarify, I take it the RK is a Good Banjo?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 27, 2015

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Now that I look around, Alaska picks are plentiful and cheap. I had it in my head that they weren't available in the US.

What is sizing like? Can they be reshaped with hot water or a similar method?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I went ahead and traded my fretless bass and some cash for a new RK-R20. Got a nice case upgrade and a nice leather strap because I had a good case with the bass. I didn't get much time to play last night, but I love the poo poo out of that banjo.

Any goon in northern Colorado should check out Woodshed Music in Fort Collins. The guy what runs it is super chill, no pressure at all, and seems to be super knowledgeable. He's got a bunch of mandolas, lutes, cuatros, weird one-off basses made from driftwood and poo poo, and probably 30 guitars, banjos, and mandolins from the Kay/Harmony/Supro families. Plus new Alvarezes. Good poo poo.

Does anyone here use Butterfly Picks? Thoughts?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 28, 2015

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Crossposting:

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm watching Sarah Watkins, Sarah Jarosz, and Aoife O'Donovan right now. Sarah Jarosz has played four different instruments in as many songs and is a loving good musician. Holy poo poo. Also they're all playing into a single condenser mic that Noam Pikelny loaned them last minute. Seriously classy ladies.

Also Punch Brothers is next so that's cool.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Planet X posted:

Where at?

Fayetteville Roots Fest in Arkansas. It's been a drat good weekend of music so far.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Squiggle posted:

Great! I'm encouraged to keep looking for A-bodies, then.

And they are - sort of, Glenwood is a 3 hour drive, but it'd be worth it for the quality. That is...an excellent idea. Hmmm....

ed: Oh my.

ed 2: I want to kiss it on the mouth

Where in the front range are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Squiggle posted:

Louisville/Boulder, specifically

If you get up to Fort Collins, check out Woodshed Music. Paul, the dude that runs the place, has always got a handful of lefty instruments. He's big into mandolins and banjos, too. Lots of other weird stuff too, especially basses. Victor Wooten stopped in there a while back, I can only assume because of the strange bass collection.

• Locked thread