Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
Can anyone recommend some good banjo centric bluegrass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

global tetrahedron posted:

I dunno if you've got Spotify but this track featuring Sam McGee and Arthur Smith always stood out to me for some reason, it's got a nice combination of a lead line and rhythmic arpeggiation on the banjo, and it's catchy as hell.

http://open.spotify.com/track/7dCWoeHuIbrEKnMmNdijem

I do and I liked that, thanks.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Can anyone suggest some simple songs to practice on Banjo? I'm having trouble with Cripple Creek and just practicing on Bile dem cabbage is frustrating. I read tabs for now.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Captain Mediocre posted:

He Will Set Your Fields On Fire is one of my first ones, and I recommended it to someone else who seemed to enjoy it so have a look.

Its also worth browsing through the beginner tabs on banjo hangout, there is loads of good stuff there.

That looks like a great resource, thanks.

Does anyone have any opinions on a good book or dvd or whatever to help? The one that came with my banjo is a bit light.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

I'm trying to tune my banjo and it's really difficult and middle g string sounds a little off. Is there something I should tighten or buy or should I just keep trying?

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

I'll try those, thanks!

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Anyone have some good tabs for a beginner with Cripple Creek under my belt? It seems the only stuff I can find is super easy or very difficult.

My 3rd strong problems sort of resolved itself so that's a little weird but I'm greateful!

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

edit: nvm fixed it

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 26, 2012

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

I'm not sure if I can't just find the toggle or if TablEdit is going screwy on me but most of the music I open with it is displayed in one stretched out line that's hard as hell to read while it's playing. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no luck. Can anyone help?

It's like this in case I didn't explain very well http://imgur.com/1Wej1

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

SecretSquirrel posted:

There's a toggle in the File-Options-General tab that changes the screen mode from line to page. Or at least it does in TefView.

That fixed it, thanks!

I'm practicing Ashokan Farewell and I don't really know how to pinch two strings that are next to each other. Do I use my index and middle in one motion up?

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

I restrung my banjo the other week and the metal piece at the bottom that adds tension to the strings is a little higher up than before. When I tune everything is fine but I'm worried that this might be changing the sound a little. Here's a picture to explain what I mean http://imgur.com/oHxdBht.

I feel like I'm making good progress on strumming but my chord changes are rough right now. Is there advice for what chords to practice in what order with what rolls to best teach your fingers, or is it just a do and learn sort of thing?

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

What are the differences between light medium and (I assume they exist) heavy Banjo strings? Is one easier to fret, or does one last longer over the other? I'm picking up some strings online and I wanted to look around a little bit. Is there a brand anyone out there likes in particular?

Note: I use light Scruggs branded strings now

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

I'm trying to practice chords specifically and I have a great chord book to do it with but I'm a little lost when it comes to finding the right ones to practice in the right order. And when I find them, should I just find rolls that fit and go through them back and forth?

Iron Horse's Metallica cover album is great and I don't usually like metal.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 15, 2014

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

I understand some of that, this is the book I'm using to get chord shapes (Hal Leonard Banjo Chord Finder)

http://imgur.com/4cLL7Y8

From what I understand Major chords are the first on each page, and have barre chord with each of them, Then minors are next to that and minor sevenths are on the next page (all three are underlines int hat image). Does "Going through the primary chords" mean C Major, Dflat Major, D Major etc... with the barre chords and just going up the neck or is there a different order? Or are Major chords just the ones under the C section and I should specifically focus on a certain order on that page? This is something I have to figure out if I want to really play Banjo well but sometimes music theory is extremely confusing. I appreciate any help, believe me.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

That clears a lot of things up, thank you. Are there only certain frets I can play the chord forms or is anywhere on the neck good as long as it comes out clear? ad just to be clear, when you say "on the third" it means the highest fretted string is on that fret, right?

Thanks for the help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

My brother wants to get into banjo so I restrung the one he has, except the groove that threads the fifth string to the peg is worn down and needs to be replaced. I figured a small piece of wood with the right adhesive and a groove cut into it would work fine but I don't want to possibly mess up the sound of it by using the wrong type of wood or glue. Does it matter?

• Locked thread