Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinky the Cube
Jul 21, 2010

Planet X posted:

I have a friend of mine that's never played music before, and he just got a fiddle. He's doing pretty well with it.

Hey that's me! Thanks!

I'm officially hooked on it. Learning has been a pretty gradual process but the exercise of patience is good for me...and it actually feels good.

I am getting lessons from a local musician, hanging out with Planet X for jam-related learnin', and getting occasional reviews from a classical violin player friend of mine. Although trying to absorb both the mechanics of fiddle-playing at the same time I try to understand "how notes work" is often overwhelming (especially from 3 different points of view), I think it's sinking in. I consider myself very fortunate to have experienced players nearby to lean on with questions. It's also very entertaining to hear the classical guy criticize fiddlers who never leave first position while the fiddle player cites violin players who can't double-shuffle.

Fiddle Hangout is a great place, especially to have one source of information to consult. Try using Google to find a remedy for your pegs being loose and have fun combing through the wildly contradictory advice. Use chalk! Never use chalk! Use resin! Never use resin! Buy peg putty! Never buy peg putty! Turns out that what you need to do is "push in gently as you turn the peg" and then "promptly feel like a newb for not realizing that on your own".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky the Cube
Jul 21, 2010

Roctor posted:

I tell this joke that the difference between a violin and a fiddle is you don't clean a fiddle. :smug:

I've heard a few punchlines to that question, but this one is funny because it's true. My violinist friend meticulously cleans his violin after every practice. The fiddlers I know, including myself, don't.

Personally I like to let the rosin build up over the course of several days so I can blame it for my bad playing when it's out of control. Then I can wipe it off with righteous indignation and pretend it helped.

• Locked thread