Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Captain Mediocre posted:

I've been teaching myself to play for 6-7 months and I've hit that predictable slump. I have a few music books and I've burned through all the easy tunes, left only with stuff which is too facile and nursery rhyme-y to be interesting or which is beyond my capabilities. I was wondering if anyone could recommend me their favourite beginner/intermediate tunes?

Fiddle Hangout also seems to have quite a sparse selection to fill this gap, but any recommendations from their tab archive would be appreciated too. I find the fact that I don't really have any background exposure to bluegrass means I can't just look up the 'classics', whatever they may be.

An old fart who's kinda sorta in his last throes is teaching me the fiddle. I've been learning for about the same time that you have (disregarding the hiatus due to me needing a new bow). The guy gave me a cd by Brian Wicklund that I've been playing along to. At these two links there are lists of songs that are cool to learn. Something that's really exciting is that the guy put some thought into arranging the songs and they slowing get more complicated and teach you things as you go along. I've been working on Country Waltz the past few days.

Something that's made me completely ecstatic is how much money I've been able to make playing on the sidewalk playing those beginning songs. I've been playing the melody, singing a verse, playing the melody, singing the chorus, and so on. I've made so much more money (for time invested) doing that that I've ever made busking with my guitar. I'm hoping that I'll be able to travel with a fiddle and use it to pay my way, and I guess give away the money I don't need.

I absolutely love bluegrass. The way that I was informally introduced to it was stumbling upon a The Bloodroots Barter. A weird series of events led to me being at their show on the night they happened to be passing through town. I fell in love. I have no idea exactly how many times I listened to the cd I bought that night, but it has to be over 100 times since November. This led me to going to a local bluegrass jam session that I'd been hearing about for years but I'd just never gone to it. I fell in love again.

Hanging out with those old guys and playing music every week has given me something quite positive to do in a positive environment where people aren't playing the music for money or fame or popularity--we do it to have a little bit of fun every week. Before I went there I usually just played guitar, even though I know how to play drums, electric bass, piano, harmonica, and mandolin. The first few weeks I went, the guitar is what I played. I got up on that stand-up bass the moment that someone told me that the tuning of the strings were the same as the stand-up bass, though. The blisters were worth it and they always will be. These days I can even pick a little banjo because I've started giving pointers to my friend who's learning. My mind had an orgasm when I realized that the banjo is like the bottom five strings of a guitar with the A and E strings tuned down a step. I immediately tuned a guitar to open G and started playing it like a banjo.

Ah, well, I'm starting to ramble and I have beer to drink. 5'd the thread. Keep bluegrass alive.

Edit: I play a weird mix of clawhammer banjo and picking banjo. I play it like I play a guitar without a pick.

Edit2: Learn your scales. Run your scales. gently caress around in your scales. Love your scales. Your scales need that lovin'.

Alobar fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread