Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Etheldreda posted:

Hey there, I've been playing mandolin on and off (mostly off) for about 15 years now. That would possibly lead people to believe that I am a good player, but I am not, probably because I've never had occasion to play with other people other than an instructor now and then. If there's anybody in Orange County, CA who'd like to try to jam... let me know.

To be honest I tend to like Celtic more than bluegrass, but I found out when I moved here that there was ZERO celtic music interest around here while there was VERY LITTLE bluegrass interest, which is better than zero. (Orange County kind of sucks)

Here's a song I heard recently, and I didn't even know it featured banjo until I looked it up because I wanted to know what instrument was making those awesome sounds: Annabelle Lee by Sarah Jarosz

Huh, I just saw Sarah the other day. Living in Boston is pretty amazing for folk music in general. Have you ever seen Joy Kills Sorrow? The mandolin player is loving unbelievable.

Seconding the recommendation to go to a music camp. I went to a camp this summer for celtic fiddle, and it was a really intense and amazing experience. I'd like to start learning bluegrass too. Any fiddlers here play 5-string? I tried one, but I didn't have a clue what to do with the low string.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I think this is the prettiest banjo tune I've ever heard:

http://youtu.be/5Jd51cRJmoo

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Planet X posted:

Pufflekins, I know nothing about fiddles. The local shop rents "Gliga Gems 1", a $450 Romanian fiddle, so that might be a place to start looking.

I own a Gems 1 and a $900 Gama that I ordered online. The Gems 1 is a pretty acceptable beginner instrument, but I think the Gama is really at the sweet spot in terms of value. If you practice consistently, you'll want to upgrade eventually, so keep that in mind.

The sound of the Gems 1 is good, but the neck feels chunky and the finish on it is rough, so it's less comfortable to hold for a long time or slide up the fingerboard to play in higher positions.

The Gama projects a lot more than the Gems 1, and the varnish and workmanship is surprisingly high-quality. I'm very happy with mine (especially after getting geared pegs installed), and I'll keep playing it at my advanced beginner / intermediate level for a few years until I feel like I can justify paying for a custom built instrument.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 7, 2012

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Planet X posted:

Wow. I just saw Carl Miner (National Flatpicking champ) and Kym Warner (Aussie mandolin champ) who are half of The Greencards - at a house concert last night. It's unfair how well they can play. I'm going to work on my flatpicking. Anyone here seen The Greencards? If not, put them on your list, go check out their tour dates.

I'm doing my best to piece together an interesting series of breaks for Cherokee Shuffle, and have drawn inspiration from these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s8Mmc69CP8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbrhbmx2OxQ

Yeah, Greencards are amazing. A fiddler friend of mine went on tour with them.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Pufflekins posted:

I'm not new to stringed instruments, however it's been years since I've played last.

I don't really listen to any banjo centric music. I just bought it because I love the sound of the banjo.

I guess I'm going to have to take lessons because I picked up Earl Scruggs book and just don't know where to start.

The Earl Scruggs book isn't great for total beginners. Definitely try to get a lesson or two if you can.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I'm getting a custom clawhammer banjo built for me. Any thoughts on a 11-inch vs a 12-inch pot size?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

What are some catchy clawhammer banjo tunes that are fun to play over and over? I started with Snowdrop and Last Chance, and I'm sure my neighbors would appreciate it if I found another tune to learn.

• Locked thread