Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Is there a dedicated mandolin thread or do those discussions happen here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Roctor posted:

Have you guys heard of the Song-A-Week social group over on the mandolin cafe forums? http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=67

I'm going to make a recording of Bridget Cruise for this week, and I think I'll try and participate regularly. My first impression is that they have a pretty good selection of tunes, this weeks is a slower air, but last week was Blue Moon of Kentucky.

Yeah I've been a member over there for an embarrassingly long time given my current mandolin abilities. Tell you what, I will try and join you on the song a week project. It will give me an excuse to learn how to use the recording equipment I just picked up...

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Planet X posted:

Please discuss Mandolins here.

Postin' from Ireland :smuggo:

Amazing looking session. Were both ends of the table playing the same or different tunes?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I play fiddle tunes, some ITM, but mostly with bluegrass stylings (hammer on/pull off instead of trills, different rhythm, etc.). Its easy enough to pick up ITM and old time because they are all variations on a theme. [ETA: Not saying that learning the song catalog is easy, mind. Some of those guys are walking encyclopedias] In fact I will be going to a session hosted by a work mate that will be more ITM (including an irishman on uillean pipes) so I have been recently expanding my song book at the TheSession.org to get ready.

Galway session though, I'm totally envious. I sought out a session when I was in Dublin but I very quickly realized that is not best done in Temple Bar.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 12, 2014

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Planet X posted:

I had the pleasure of being invited to a house session this week, so I actually got to sit in and play today! They don't get a chance to hear bluegrass banjo players often, so they handed me a 5 string, and I played a few tunes. One of the Irish tunes we played sounded a lot like Clinch Mtn Backstep, so when we were done I played that to show them how Irish trad music manifested itself strongly in bluegrass. The session leader and I jammed Blackberry Blossom a bit (he on accordion!) and they all got a big kick out of it. Glad I was able to bring something to the circle, because all the rest of the time I was listening intently, noodling, and doing backup chords. :unsmith:

This is very cool. I'm glad you got a chance to play some while on your trip.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Nice! I've been thinking of having both a tenor guitar and mandocello (or at least octave mandolin) in my future.

e. taken to PM

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 14, 2014

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Avian posted:

Can anyone give me some rules of thumb about good posture and hand position/picking angle? I've been playing for two weeks and I'm worried about picking up some bad habits that'll come back to haunt me.

What instrument?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Pantomime Horse posted:

Gonna go see the Del McCoury band with Dave Grisman in a couple hours. Stoked.

e:

Envy.

How was the show? I keep missing David when I visit Berkeley, including being one day short of a show by Andy Statman

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Kvlt! posted:

Forgive me if this is the wrong thread to post in, but I thought it was best.

Not a banjo question but a Mandolin question. Can anyone give me some tips on how to improvise solos when you're jamming bluegrass with a banjo/guitar? I have no idea how to just make things up on the spot and am looking for some help.

One of the easiest ways is to learn pentatonic scales, specifically. Niles Hokkanen has two books you should get immediately: Bluegrass up the Neck and The Pentatonic Mandolin. Also consider video lessons with Mike Marshall via Acousticworks.

There was a comment last page about F vs A style mandolins: they sound the same if they are both f-hole. F-hole vs oval hole sound different but the only difference between F and A style mandolins is the expensive strap hanger.

laertes22 posted:

One of the easiest ways to get into improving is to practice and memorize scales. Not just major scales, but pentatonic and "blues" scales are great for old time and bluegrass. When you play the song, if you use notes from the scales or some arpeggios, you probably want hit any "bad notes" and it will sound ok. As you play the mandolin more and develop your ear, you might try working in variations on the melody. These are just some basic improv ideas. Probably somebody more talented or knowledgeable than I can give you some more ideas or techniques.
:fistbump:

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Not to be always plugging Niles' stuff, but Pentatonic Mandolin might be well worth dropping $20 on to get some insight into forming bluegrass melodic rifts. I just find the man's work to be genius overall. If you order it, from a dealer or from his own site, spend $5 to get his mando chordbook too.

http://www.mandolin.myzen.co.uk/hokkanen.html

OK so basically next time I read the entire thread before replying

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 15, 2015

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Slimchandi posted:

There's a weekly bluegrass meetup near me which I want to go to, but I don't know the classic jam repertoire all that well. Should I take my guitar; is someone likely to have charts to follow? I have a strong ear for harmony, but don't want to be that guy who plays the wrong thing over every change.

Get used to being that guy anyway, just part of the process. :)

For bluegrass what is important is to get the key of the song. The progressions are usually I-IV-V so with that basic information you can usually work things out with a single playthrough.

Jams usually love newbies so say you are new and someone will help you out on the side

e. sneak peak at the new Punch Brothers album on the NY Times. Its pretty amazing.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/arts/music/pressplay.html?_r=1&

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 22, 2015

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Slimchandi posted:

Spoiler: they were amazing!

http://youtu.be/joo34y_9pQ8

Awesome! I hope they make it out here

Heading to my first jam in a long while tomorrow. I expect I will know about 3 songs since jams seem to really vary regionally in preferences

e. as expected, I knew few of the songs (very different preferences to those in the jams I have attended in California here in Calgary), but I have many in my Dix Bruce Parking Lot Pickers volume and the melodies are pretty simple so its time for some intensive ear training! Then hit Niles' books to start building my ability to improvise over those.

I can do this. Just have to keep going back!

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 30, 2015

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

Definitely take a look into old time clawhammer songs. There's a rich history of good slower songs with that meditative idea you mentioned. I love playing fast bluegrass and such but there's something really special about playing old songs and looking up their history. Banjo music is great for submerging yourself and getting a little taste of the past. It puts my mind in a nice place.

Agreed. The clawhammer banjo on the tune Riding off into the Sunset here is just amazing. Sadly I can only find that snippet but you can get the while tune on iTunes I think.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

ZeusCannon posted:

Anyone ever dealt with Elderly Instruments? Trying to pick up a tuning wrench but never dealt with them before.

Edit: vvvvv Thanks!

Elderly is the best

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Kobayashi posted:

I've got a book of fiddle songs that I'm trying to learn. I've got about four memorized. Whenever I get bored with whatever I'm trying to learn, I just start playing the songs I already know. Invariably I gently caress up a note or two here and there, usually not the same thing. I can't pinpoint any particular problem, just that it's not good enough.

Do you practice with a metronome? Flubbing a note is a common thing, but keeping the song going is key--your little ticking friend will keep you honest on that

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've got the Mandolin bug for some reason. Mostly how they're so well made for folk and bluegrass and somehow perfect for playing Bach. I also love the tuning since you can play so much violin music on them. How does that kind of instrument balance and evolution even happen. It's awesome. Anyway. What should I know about the Mandolin? I'll be crossing over from stringed instruments so I'm not worried about being comfortable on one I'm just curious about hearing the quirks, tips, and "here's why I like mandolins" stories.

Hi!

I have been playing the mandolin badly since 2001, and a member of the Mandolin Cafe since then. What you need to know about the mandolin will eventually come up there. Basically, do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmagoBQunZI

Also, regarding Bach:
http://www.nonesuch.com/journal/yo-yo-ma-chris-thile-edgar-meyer-bach-trios-april-7-nonesuch-tour-2017-02-10

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Coohoolin posted:

Chris Thile is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=770rJqDwRXo

I've been playing mandolin coming from 13 years of electric and folk guitar so sometimes I slip into incorrect positioning habits and all that, but a slow and constant approach to scales, arpeggios, and jamming every Sunday is helping me make mad progress.

Do you play traditional Scottish music (I guess, based upon your avatar)? Familiar with Kevin MacLeod or Dagger Gordon's playing?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Coohoolin posted:

I do a bunch of stuff, but I got started on reels and jigs, yeah. I've given them a listen and it's pretty iconic trad mandolin playing. Hadn't really bothered doing much exploring, I just sat down with a bunch of tunes I liked from sessions and started playing. This is me, btw.

https://soundcloud.com/user-365559034/the-tar-road-to-sligothe-nightingalethe-lark-in-the-morning?in=user-365559034/sets/oneills18-01-2017

Very nice playing!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Just to follow up on a couple of things here. For a fantastic resource for music check out The Session, loaded with scads of dots and tab for tunes and variations for multiple styles.

Mandolin is what I learned music on, and for my money is far easier to "get" than on a guitar. But yes, it definitely pays to not go cheap in terms of sound quality. If and when you are ready to upgrade from your starter, I really suggest going with a new builder that is starting to build their reputation--you can get really great value if you do your homework. I have a bluegrass cannon with tone that has turned the heads of even highly regarded builders and players by doing just this (A style of course). I had to have the action and intonation tweeked some as it was only her 4th build, and the fit and finish aren't Collings level good, but it sounds amazing and for a fraction of the price.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Planet X posted:

What builder, out of curiosity?

Laura Ratcliff. She was formerly (or currently? IDK its murky and I'm not going to ask him) married to Ken Ratcliff, builder of Silverangel mandolins. I did a workship with Mike Marshall several years ago in San Diego and while doing the rounds in the meet and greet came over and had to see it. He wound up noodling on it while making the rest of the rounds, it sounds that good.

Sadly he didn't exchange his Loar for it but vOv

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Coohoolin posted:

We need more activity here. What if people posted clips of what they're currently playing?

I'll kick it off. Been working on some tunes for my auditions. First one's a lovely wee strathspey from Aberdeen, The Bonnie Lass O' Bon Accord, with a fun variation.

https://streamable.com/qcxss

And one of the pieces I'm considering for the performance audition is the Allegro from Vivaldi's violin concerto in A minor.

https://streamable.com/gcu64

I've been away from the instrument for a few months and have to get back up to speed. I've mostly been working on variations for standard North American fiddle tunes in order to build up improvisational vocabulary.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Yeah with an A-style you should be good to go doing what you suggest. You'd probably need a new nut cut but whatever, its pretty cheap.

Some makers do use magical asymmetric tone bars or differing wood species for bass/treble sides of the top that have questionable impact on tone but those are custom instruments. An old Gibson or any of the more standard brands just flip it and go.

Pomeroy instruments are made in your area right? Those are fine sounding mandolins.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Squiggle posted:

Great! I'm encouraged to keep looking for A-bodies, then.

And they are - sort of, Glenwood is a 3 hour drive, but it'd be worth it for the quality. That is...an excellent idea. Hmmm....

ed: Oh my.

ed 2: I want to kiss it on the mouth

Right? A buddy of mine in LA has an F5 that has a wonderfully woody tone that almost sounds like an oval hole (you get a sense for the wide open tone of the os and the focused tone of the fs from that video)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Coohoolin posted:

I'm looking at this baby right here.

http://celtic-chords.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_4_54&products_id=2705&zenid=lqfhdokpcdu513dd1gfv8n3017

The problem is there's not a lot of stuff stocked around where I live so I'm gonna have to take a daytrip down to Stonehaven and try some stuff out (although looking at the page that seems to be the only other F style he's got in apart from this slightly odd take- http://celtic-chords.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_4_54&products_id=2103)

You know about Trevor's shop? He deals in moderate to high end mandolins for all seasons. I know the standard for celtic music are oval holes like Sobel (and if you have never played a Sobel do so, the most cathedral-like, majestic tone I have ever heard a mandolin make) and he's not in Shetland, but he has some of the finest selection of F holes (which do great for celtic too, Dan Beimborn plays a Weins--with Virzi--fwiw) shipping should be easier from inside the UK

http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hey everyone,

Last night my wife expressed interest in possibly learning the mandolin, or at least trying the instrument and taking a lesson. We've both gotten a little more into bluegrass over the last year, and she has been suitably wowed by Chris Thile and Rhonda Vincent. I'd love to support her, but she has never played a musical instrument before, and I don't know if she will take to it or not. She definitely doesn't have the time to get super-serious about learning, but it might be a fun thing to mess around with around the house.

What do you all suggest? I haven't checked any local music stores yet, but there are several inexpensive mandolins on Amazon. I was hoping to spend under $200 for one, since she may not decide to stick with it at all. Do any of these look promising?
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_...=price-asc-rank

I don't know if she's even intrigued enough to go to a store with me and try several out, but I figured I could at least surprise her with this as a holiday gift and she how she likes it. For what it's worth, I noodled around with guitar as a kid but was never any good, although I played saxophone for many years in bands (just not in a long time). I've never even held a mandolin, so I don't know about tuning it, setting it up for her, or any of the most basic stuff.

EDIT: What about this beginner package that Sam Ash is selling?
http://www.samash.com/mandolins/washburn-m1k-mandolin-package-sunburst-wm1kxxxxx

Kentucky 150

Edit: a bit more of an explanation. The Kentucky 150 has a solid wood top, which for an entry level archtop, f-holed mandolin (for bluegrass) gives really great sound. If you buy from somewhere like Elderly (see https://www.elderly.com/elderly-instruments-mandolin-outfit.htm for a full beginner package--yes I know you said $200 but in mandolins you really get what you pay for, AND you can get just the instrument as well but this is a complete beginner package), it comes professionally set up, which these instruments really need. In fact, mandolins because they are double course and soprano voiced have incredibly high string tension that can put a beginner off, so even more than a guitar you really feel minor tweeks to set up so this step is crucial. The only upgrade something like that would "need" is a Cumberland Acoustics bridge, but that would be down the road if she decides to stick with it.

I started on one of these and it lasted me for years. Once it starts to sound funny then you are ready to upgrade but it will last for years and is a servicable musical instrument.

If you are strongly set on $200 then look for a used Mid Missouri or Big Muddy flat top. Again, all solid wood construction. The oval hole might put your wife off as its not like what Bill played, but for a beginner it sounds really good.

Edit edit to add: I would be happy to craft a long OP for a mandolin-specific thread if folks would like.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 1, 2017

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Coohoolin posted:

I am aware of that site, but the problem is the only thing feasibly within my price range is the Eastman and I'd rather buy local if the fella in Stonehaven can do financing. Otherwise, have you had good experience with that website?

And no, I haven't played a Sobell, I don't reckon I will anytime soon, and there's absolutely no way I can afford it, but I don't reckon it's quite what I'm after anyway. I want something fast, load, and sharp.

I haven't done no, as I don't live in the UK. I have known the owner for years from the Mandolin Cafe and he's a pretty class act, and its an assortment not commonly found outside North America. But yes, those mandolins are spendy.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Coohoolin posted:

I'd love a mandolin specific thread. My Ibanez keeps losing tuning on the A course, flat AND sharp, and I have no idea what the poo poo is going on. Nut seems stable. Bah.

OK, enormous effort post incoming.

Assuming you have already checked that the tuners are holding and the bridge is placed correctly as well, then it's probably a problem with the fretboard itself. It's not uncommon for those to be a little off in intonation. A lot of old Gibsons have this problem because the template they were cut from was off.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Planet X posted:

Feel free to do that but you're also welcome to keep chatting in here about mandolins, I'm totally digging it. I played my Eastman today a little bit. I can put a link to your post in my OP here too.

Ive been going to my Monday night bluegrass jam a lot. There's a honky tonk guy that sings a lot of Hank Sr and Circle album stuff that injects excitement into the session. I'm working on singing Rank Stranger, Big Scioty on Mandolin, and jamming out the middle part of Midnight Moonlight on the banjo. I dusted off my soundcloud and will try and put something up on the latter.

I also just got J.D. Crowe's biography and have been working my way through that. What a great voice on the banjo.

Cool. Not trying to split off more general bluegrass chat or anything, but the amount of words I just vomited out would probably sprain most non mandolin folks' scrolling fingers :)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842488

Thanks!

I'm right now working at getting practice back to a regular part of my evening routine, rebuild calluses, and then perhaps start going back to our weekly jam again. Really need to work on my ear and improvisational skills to deal with all of those songs I don't know well enough to fake it when they come up at the jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Aw man, almost forgot to play Eighth of January today! Fortunately I stumbled across the dots and it reminded me to run through it a few times.

• Locked thread