Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is there any risk buying second hand? I am going to start learning banjo and I've spotted a Deering Goodtime Special for $800 (slightly cheaper than a basic open back Goodtime in Australia, they're so expensive...) but I don't want it to be beyond my ability to tune and set up. It looks absolutely brand new and has been sitting in a cupboard for a couple of years, but I don't know what a couple of years does to a banjo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Brinx posted:

Probably not. They're pretty hardy instruments. As long as there isn't obvious damage (cracks etc.). Check the neck is straight and nothing looks warped or bent, nothing rattles and the head feels uniformly tight when you press on it with your thumb.

It's generally easy to make minor adjustments for string height etc. if needed. Plenty of YouTube videos on banjo maintenance.

Hopefully it's a legitimate sale. If you'll be buying it in person, you can always ask the seller to play it in front of you briefly just to check everything sounds like a normal banjo. If you take an electronic tuner, you can do a quick basic check of the harmonics by checking that the note you get for each string at the 12th fret registers the same (or pretty close) as the note when you play the same string open.

Yeah the banjo has only been played a few times (and it looks it, it's basically brand new) I was just wondering if it sitting in the cupboard for years might have meant a headache for me. Sounds like this is going to be a smart way to go since it's a good quality instrument for close to half what they sell for new in Aus.

I'll be buying it in person, so here we go. I figure I'm better of buying a better quality instrument with a resonator now, rather than paying 300-400 and having to do it in the future anyway.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

OK I did it. Any recommendations on beginners books or online lessons? I play classical, Irish folk and Gypsy violin so I can read music pretty well, but I don't want to kick off a new instrument ingraining lovely habits. I'm also not that inclined to get lessons since they're expensive and I feel confident I can manage on my own if I've got some good material to teach myself with.

I want to play bluegrass on this baby.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Coohoolin posted:

Did you get a 5-string or tenor? If tenor, Gerry O'Connor has a good book on Irish banjo that might be a good starting point for anything.

5-string. I want to play bluegrass mainly and I'm sort of teaching myself some songs on the violin. I was listening to heaps of Steep Canyon Rangers and my eye started twitching like "buy a banjo, you have to buy a banjo, buy it now, buy it now".

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I definitely need new strings. These are out of tune almost the instant I get them going. They've been sitting in the banjo for three years so I will give it a restring tonight.

I've been listening to lots of Steve Martin's stuff in the car due to being a massive Steve Martin fan, but all his songs are lots of fun to listen to and the albums with Edie Brickell are great too. One of my favourite bands is Graveyard Train who are "horror country" but I like anything with a somewhat foreboding country or bluegrass sound. I think I'm going to get Martin's The Crow songbook.

If I'm totally honest I'm going to sit at home and learn Cripple Creek...

• Locked thread