Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh shiiiit, I never thought to check for a Musician's Lounge thread when I picked up the mandolin over a year ago - Coohoolin, you are my fuckin' muse, man. I've been shying slightly away from bluegrass and into the traditional Celtic tunes, and your fantastic posts are exactly what I dreamed to find.

You are also very good and make me feel...less good, ha.

I actually had two mandolin questions that I wanted to bounce off y'all - I'm a cursed lefty, and it is shockingly hard to find left-handed mandolins worth their salt. I've been playing on a Morgan Monroe "Rocky Top" f-body (MMS-8WC), and I'm starting to wonder what else there is out there and since I am so into Irish etc., I was looking at A-styles with oval holes and wondering...could I have a luthier flip the nut and bridge and call it a day? They seem very symmetrical, so I'm hoping that's not just on the surface.

In the short term, I'm wondering if I can take my current one in to a luthier and just have them kinda...I dunno, adjust it? This is actually my first stringed instrument, so I'm not really aware if it could use any adjustment to make it a bit easier to play. I guess it's silly to ask here and not actually take it somewhere, but...I guess I'm wondering what to expect out of a tune-up. The one thing I DO notice is that when the open strings are tuned correctly, notes down the fretboard are slightly out of pitch. G strings are a solid G, but the B is sharp.

What do you think?

Edit: I should say, I'm in the Front Range of Colorado, so I should definitely be able to find a good luthier.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Great! I'm encouraged to keep looking for A-bodies, then.

And they are - sort of, Glenwood is a 3 hour drive, but it'd be worth it for the quality. That is...an excellent idea. Hmmm....

ed: Oh my.

ed 2: I want to kiss it on the mouth

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 15, 2017

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Where in the front range are you?

Louisville/Boulder, specifically

• Locked thread