Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So let's say I'm pretty good at fingerstyle guitar. Not amazing, but can pretty quickly pick up new patterns, sound good, etc.

How difficult would it be to pick up banjo for some general stuff? Fairly easy transition for the occasional player? Can you go without fingerpicks, or are they a must?

Cool thread, by the way :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I mostly play folk/bluegrass fingerstyle on a guitar. I figured that plus a nice bonus meant it was time for a banjo, why not?

Holy poo poo. This thing is: fun as gently caress, loud as gently caress, and tricky*

*most of the trickyness is the fingerpicks; doing everything to this point without fingerpicks means that donning them puts me just off-kilter enough to have trouble. If I play with my nails/flesh I can play not horribly; but may as well get the fingerpicks down. A lot of the rolls are very different patterns to what I'm accustomed to, but nothing that's really warping my mind just yet.

This thing is way, way too fun.
(Got a Deering Goodtime "Crow" package, sounded/felt the best of all the ones I played)

Walked fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 10, 2012

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Captain Mediocre posted:

This is something that annoyed me and I made it worse by playing without picks for about a year or so first. In solution, I found some excellent hollow picks that gave me the feel of the strings I was acustomed to. They let you feel which strings you're picking which can be really helpful if you're used to playing guitar with your fingers

I got a set of these for £3.50 (~$5) off amazon so they aren't too pricey either.

Yeah, I've been considering those and/or Alaska picks (similar concept) to give a whirl.

Not sure if I should just learn "normal" finger picks, or try out a bunch. Theyre all going to feel pretty foreign I assume, so it'll be tough to say up front.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Just started bluegrass guitar and banjo with an instructor.

Holy gently caress literally the most fun ive ever had at a lesson.
Just informing you all that I am pumped.

(is there a particular skill level I can identify "hey im ready to hit up a jam!? I suck still, but still want to play with others / improve)

• Locked thread