Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tater Tot 13
Nov 14, 2003

Making the best of a goon situation.
Fiddle player here to say Hi. I also play the banjo and a few other stringed instruments.
I've just picked my fiddle back up after a 15+ year absence. It's about like starting all over again and I'm a squeaky, squealing mess.

I did find a good source for fiddlers though search up johnsfiddlelessons on youtube. John breaks down the songs pretty well. Or just click http://www.youtube.com/user/JohnsFiddleLessons/videos

Winson_Paine posted:

I can noodle out tabbed songs, I guess I just am eager for when it sounds like bluegrass and less like me plinking away.

If you can work out a simple song, stick with that song and practice it. Listen to different folks playing the turn to get a handle of the timing. For me getting that bluegrass "bounce" (drive, flow or whatever you want to call it) is what makes it bluegrass. With either Scruggs style, Clawhammer or even your bowing with a fiddle its still about the accent you place on your timing (if that makes sense)
Stick with it and maybe even buy a cheap metronome to help you with timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tater Tot 13
Nov 14, 2003

Making the best of a goon situation.

ImDifferent posted:

So I've been learning banjo for a little over a month now, and it is officially awesome. Stupid fingers won't move anywhere near as fast as I'd like them to, but hopefully that'll come with time.

My buddy and I recorded a bit of "Banjo in the Hollow". Naturally we're playing it at about a tenth of the intended speed, our timing is awful, lovely mic, etc... etc... but I don't care. We're drinking beers, playing bluegrass and it's fun, dammit.

http://soundcloud.com/strags/bith-nr2

that is really good! Keep it up :)

• Locked thread