Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

dexter6 posted:

I just got my banjo along with the tab book for this song ( http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/t/video/steve-martin-great-remember-nancy-14692648 ) and obviously the hardest part is the right hand claw hammer.

Any tips / tricks / videos for me to check out? I've been watching some of the claw hammer basics but Steve's technique seems to be a bit different from the bum-dity style I've seen. Or maybe I just don't get it.

Any help in learning this would be greatly appreciated!

Did you get the hang of it yet?

I figured out that with a mute, you can hear yourself scraping the head of the banjo with finger picks, so it's a good way to work on not doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
http://www.dogwork.com/blugrs9#.UAeyG9aV0tI Crosspost from the cute thread, I thought it was neat that this bird came in and chilled out on the back half of the bluegrass jam (bout halfway through)

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Thanks, I always wondered what was up with the longer neck banjos.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

dexefiend posted:

:banjo: I have decided I would rather be Earl Scruggs over Barney McKenna. I guess I am going to buy a Deering Goodtime.

Let us know what you think of it. I think it's pretty difficult to cross over a tenor style to 5 string because of the tuning. Maybe you can get a cheap tenor banjo after you settle in with the Goodtime.

Pufflekins, I know nothing about fiddles. The local shop rents "Gliga Gems 1", a $450 Romanian fiddle, so that might be a place to start looking.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I just took a lesson with a local badass here in Austin, and as a result am starting to get into melodic banjo playing more. Mainly I'm practicing my G scales a lot, it's so different than guitar.

I keep trying to get my friend to loan me his beginner fiddle so I can try to squeak out a few tunes like Soldier's Joy and Roanoke.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I borrowed my friend's fiddle. I'm trying to squeak out Soldier's Joy and the Meow Mix theme.
This instrument is hard! :shepicide: Not only do you have to press down, get the bow angle right, hold the thing up, and fret it....but as a guitar / banjo player, I'm totally overshooting the spacing on the neck with my fingers.

I'm not going to pursue this seriously, but I figure since my buddy wasn't playing his fiddle due to interest, I'd pick it up and see what I could do.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Reuben is a cool song to learn on the banjo in D tuning, and not really that hard if you've got your rolls down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0POsH4oZf5M

I sometimes tune in C to play some clawhammer and old time tunes too. Good thing about the banjo tunings is that you usually only have to tune a few strings to get there. Sometimes on the guitar you have to tune most or all of the strings to get to your open tuning.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Anyone have some good tabs for a beginner with Cripple Creek under my belt? It seems the only stuff I can find is super easy or very difficult.

My 3rd strong problems sort of resolved itself so that's a little weird but I'm greateful!

What songs do you like? I have a much harder time learning a song I've never heard from tab than one I know or like. With that said, you should learn some jam standards, like Will the Circle Be Unbroken, Blackberry Blossom, Salt Creek, etc.

Also, remember that often times it's possible to start with the melody notes, get those down, then fill in your rolls afterwards. This is how I taught myself High On a Mountain.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Would adding a list of jam standards to the OP help? Anything else I need to add? Not sure how helpful it is 7 pages in. Let me know.

Also, good music there, Pete. Which instruments are you?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
That looks like a good starter banjo. You can get away with playing either style on either banjo, but it won't sound right. That and it's much easier to play clawhammer on an open back banjo. The neck is often times scooped out near the head and the action is higher. Choose a clawhammer style banjo without a resonator. Have a luthier set it up right.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Loaf32 posted:

It's way easier to get a banjo that is geared to the style of play you're after, but you can alter your setup on a reso banjo to play clawhammer (or just keep the reso on if you want). Pat did a good video that will cover what you would need to know for converting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1ZIzQ1xucE&list=PL11ABED0632ED8C8A

Doing setup alterations for a banjo isn't near as involved as that for electric guitars or whatever, so don't be scared to dive in on that.

Oh man thanks so much for posting this. I took the resonator off of my Goodtime, and was looking for guidance as far as setting up the instrument for clawhammer.

Niff if you're 100% going to play clawhammer, open back is fine. If you're at all conflicted, get a resonator, that way you have the option of playing with a resonator or without it. As the guy in the vid points out, plenty of people play clawhammer on a resonator banjo, it's just a little tougher, and not as soft / rich sounding, which is the desired tone. Bluegrass / resonator tone is more "pinny" and cutting. Resonator banjos are significantly heavier than open back banjos.

Hey Loaf, I can't tell because of the blurry picture, but if the "upper bridge" you're referring to is off, that's the nut (right guys?) at the neck. You may be able to glue it back on. Is it broken? The bridge, the true bridge, the wooden piece, is supposed to just sit on the head, held down by string tension. I've never heard of a nut up by the headstock that's loose.

I also found this:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

niff posted:

^one would assume the reso banjo is acoustically much louder too, yes?

Yes, they're significantly louder. Resonators have a metal tone ring and a big block of wood. This pushes the sound outward and allows you to cut through the other instruments when you're playing live (when you take a solo, or break). A break in bluegrass is a solo, not a temporary cease in activity, so to speak.

That's not to say the open backs aren't loud. Generally, the more you pay, the higher quality wood you're going to get, etc. I can say for sure that my open back Goodtime will not have the tonal qualities or the volume as say, a Gibson or other high quality open backs.

Now I have a question: After watching that video, I'm interested in taking the flange off, but I don't want to take the "hooks" off that I'm assuming hold the head in place. If I loosen all of the bolts, will the head just pop off? I don't want to have to re-tension the head.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Wouldn't it also be difficult to switch between bowed and regular fingerpicking due to the rosn in the strings?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I'm moving. Any of y'all pickers in the Baltimore / DC area?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Wow. I just saw Carl Miner (National Flatpicking champ) and Kym Warner (Aussie mandolin champ) who are half of The Greencards - at a house concert last night. It's unfair how well they can play. I'm going to work on my flatpicking. Anyone here seen The Greencards? If not, put them on your list, go check out their tour dates.

I'm doing my best to piece together an interesting series of breaks for Cherokee Shuffle, and have drawn inspiration from these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s8Mmc69CP8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbrhbmx2OxQ

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Smeed posted:

When/if ever should I be concerned with head tension? I've had a deering goodtime for about a year and have done nothing but change the strings. It doesn't sound bad to my untrained ear, but is head tension upkeep a thing?

Sort of. If you want it to sound it's best as a bluegrass banjo, the head should be tight, and I think tuned to G sharp. That's what I was told anyway, I have someone else do my setup. If you're doing more clawhammer or if you're not that worried about it, don't - head is looser on a clawhammer banjo. If you've had it a year, may not hurt to go have someone look at it. Then again, it's a Goodtime, so I don't think there's much adjustment to them.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 22, 2013

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm thinking of busting out my lovely <$100 one again and having some fun. The banjo is such a pleasant instrument. Is it okay and reasonable to play banjo with just your fingers? I've never really got a feel for music with finger picks and it doesn't seem to hold me back to not use them. I've always used my bare fingers, no nail, on guitar.

Yes, totally reasonable. If you don't want to use finger picks or a thumbpick, you don't have to! Play with your fingers, strum, or learn clawhammer. Accomplished Austin artist Joe Sundell plays (I think) with only a thumbpick and his fingers - no finger picks that I saw.

In addition to there being the two camps of Scruggs style and Clawhammer style, there are some other hybrid styles worth exploring if you want to put some structure to it. I believe Ralph Stanley started off playing like his Mother showed him, it's some sort of one or two finger style, no picks. It's on the Homespun instructional DVD of his, somewhere in the middle of this clip before he plays Little Maggie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unbKvS1QCpQ&t=49s

It's the banjo, do what you like. :jiggled:

Planet X fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 20, 2013

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Also, while it's fine and encouraged to find your own style, you may want to adopt Scruggs or Clawhammer eventually if you ever want to get into jamming. The tab, repertoire and structure of the jams are either one or the other, if that makes sense. In order to be heard at a jam while taking a break, you have to play with confidence and volume. You may struggle with this if you're going to not use fingerpicks in bluegrass. Less of an issue in Old Time. Again, dowhatyoulike.

One thing I've noticed is that it varies from picker to picker how much one prefers to bend their finger picks inward towards the fingers. If you feel like trying to play using fingerpicks again, I would use a speedpick on the thumb that's smaller than a standard, say National thumpick. Also get some super light gauge finger picks and curve them way inward so they hug your fingertips. This way they're less obtrusive. Ernie Ball makes fingerpicks that come to a very thin, fine point, so maybe seek them out:

Yes, it will open up styles cross-instrument! Brent Hinds of Mastodon:

My family is deeply rooted in country and bluegrass, so I first learned how to play the banjo, then my dad bought me my first guitar and I studied music too [Alabama School of Fine Arts]. So I mean, since I learned the banjo first and studied music, there’s going to be an indirect influence on my guitar playing with banjo-type fingerings, but its nothing I specifically set out to do. I guess my dad knew what he was doing by giving me the banjo first.

His Dad made him learn the banjo first. :unsmith: That's why he's got very unique, fingerpicky lead lines.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 21, 2013

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I like that video, we need more goongrass vids in this thread.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

quote:

So I ordered a new Dobro from a guy out on Long Island.

Didn't you just get one? Curious to know why you're getting another? (Not that I'm looking for justification, just curious) Or is this just an upgrade to your current guitar?

quote:

I think my favorite thing about Bluegrass music is the access to all the great musicians. There's no other music where you can walk up to one of the top players in the genre and just BS all day. I had about a half hour conversation last month with Tim Stafford, of AKUS and Blue Highway fame, then spent a day jamming and picking the brain of 14 time IBMA Dobro player of the year Rob Ickes. I love this stuff.

So true. Actually, yesterday I did a banjo clinic with Alan Munde who's a constant here in Central Texas. The clinics and camps are a great way to meet your heroes.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I just got into bluegrass and god drat, it's so awesome. I listen to a bunch of DIY punk / ska that involves banjos and now here I am! I don't even know where to start so I've been listening to all I can get my hands on. I would love to learn the banjo, but my hands are really small and I nearly can't play a regular-necked guitar. :ohdear:

The banjo neck is generally thinner than a guitar neck, you'll be fine.

I can put a recommended listening list in the OP if there's interest. People can chime in and I'll add it.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I saw this and thought it pretty funny: Difference between Celtic, Old Time, and Bluegrass:

http://bluegrassnation.org/link_type/the-difference-between-bluegrass-old-time-and-celtic-bands-now-finally-explained/

Old Time and Celtic songs are about whiskey, food and struggle. Bluegrass songs are about God, mother and the girl who did me wrong. If the girl isn’t dead by the third verse, it ain’t Bluegrass. If everyone dies, it’s Celtic.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Which instrument / style? Bluegrass banjo?

Also, I went to the Baltimore Bluegrass festival this past weekend. Was good for a first try. We had a good jam going off on the side pretty much all day. The sound wasn't great, but I tried not to let that stop me from having a good time.

I went home for a while, came back to see Tony Trishka play. A lot of people had drank up and gone home by that point, so I walked right up to the stage and watched him play. Always amazing. Too bad you couldn't hear his banjo very well, though.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I have some questions for you:

Are you completely new to music? To stringed instruments?

Do you already listen to a lot of bluegrass? Do you have any favorite banjo players? What are some of your favorite banjo-centric songs? (Foggy Mountain Breakdown, Clinch Mtn Backstep, etc) I ask because it helps to have the sound in your head, so to speak. Different players have different styles. Do you like the melodic style of Bill Keith, or the more straight ahead style of Earl? Like Ralph? He's heavy on forward rolls, while someone like Don Reno does more single string runs.

There are a lot of resources available to you. I would say:

- Find a local teacher, take a lesson. That goes against your question to an extent, but an intro / basics lesson will be helpful. This doesn't mean you have to commit to lessons, but it will put you down the right path (lead with the thumb, fret directly behind the frets, etc)
- Probably get the Earl Scruggs book: http://www.amazon.com/Earl-Scruggs-5-String-Banjo-Enhanced/dp/0634060430
- Check out the tab on the Banjo hangout site for songs you want to learn, you can sort by beginner. Once you do this, check back in and I'll give you some tab reading advice

Be patient. Speed will come. Feel free to ask questions here

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I'd say replace them. They'll sound better. Run your fingers under the strings. Feel any crud? Feel where the frets have dug into the strings? Change them.

One thing I learned from a few guys is that if you don't feel like replacing all the strings, replace the 4th (D), it'll brighten up your sound a lot.

I took a lesson from Mike Munford the other day. His house was amazing, lots of pictures on the walls of Bela, Tony Rice, JD, bunch of people from that era. He's also a setup master too, and got my banjo to sound better by filing a bit of the string notches and eliminating some minor buzz.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

PoorPeteBest posted:

I love the sound of fresh banjo strings. I usually don't like how my other instruments sound after a change but the banjo seems to shine right away.

Also, for those of you currently learning rolls, I stumbled across this awesome app for IOS devices:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/banjo-rolls-trainer/id588384861?mt=8

It has a built in metronome, tons of roll patterns with a variable tempo, and your own rhythm section. I'm primarily a clawhammer playing looking to get into Scruggs style and this has been very useful in speeding up my right hand.

I got this on your suggestion, I like i but haven't really sat down with it yet. Hopefully they update it with more rolls later, and I look forward to practicing with this. I'm learning more clawhammer more and more, and have taken a lesson.

I'm learning stuff that I hear and like in Old Time, such as John Brown's Dream and June Apple. Good renditions here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpGJG-aq7Zk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zbzZaCK-t8

I'm becoming more mesmerized by Old Time, and look forward to hitting the local jam soon, which is apparently a few dozen people.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I have not been to a bluegrass festival in a long time, but think I'll hit up some in the fall. I'm in Maryland, so maybe the smaller ones like Arcadia.

You're asking specifically about bluegrass vs old time fiddle, so I'll assume you already know the differences in the music themselves. If not, old time is very fiddle-driven and everyone plays the melody and does not deviate. Little inflections here and there, but no breaks (soloing). Bluegrass is like jazz: the melody is more or less followed throughout the song, everyone gets a solo who wants one, and there's a bit more inflection and embellishment going on.

Your transition is very easy. Also, in Old time, they play in a certain key for several songs, then everyone retunes to the new tuning en masse. In bluegrass, it's more common to skip around more in the tunings.

I'm having a great summer in music, I found two great pickers in my neighborhood. We're going to try and get a weekly jam going down at this pub, and a friend of mine is throwing a picking party this weekend where we're going to focus on the music of Bill Monroe. Should be fun.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Odobenidae posted:

I'm considering getting a deering goodtime after I found this thread lurking around A/T but I have a couple questions.

I've never played guitar before but have a fair amount of experience playing a drum kit/other percussion so I've got basic rhythm down. Should I have any problems learning banjo with no other string experience?

&

Is celtic-style banjo playing limited to tenor banjo or can it be played with a regular 5-string?

Thanks in advance. :banjo:

You plan on playing clawhammer or scruggs style? Clawhammer is arguably more rhythmic. With that said, it's not an impossible instrument either way. It will help, though, if you listen to some form of banjo music.

Not sure how easy it is to play Irish tenor style on a 5 string. Check the banjo hangout forums, see what they say, I'm sure the answer is in the forums somewhere. The 5 string is tuned different than a 4 string. 5 string is generally tuned to an open G, whereas a tenor is tuned like a mandolin or fiddle (GDAE). I would think, though, it's possible, as with Celtic tenor banjo, you are playing with a pick, so you can probably avoid the high G string.

I was going to check in on the thread and see how yall's pickin' was coming along. I'm exploring the melodic style a little bit, and learning some new tunes.

ALSO Have you heard Noam Pikelney's recent "Noam Pikelney plays Kenny Baker plays Bill Monroe"? Must get it, especially if you're a bluegrass fan.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I wouldn't particularly recommend that. If you're going to just flat-pick a banjo, you might as well just get a 4-string and tune it to GDAE, CGDA, DGBE, or one of the other established 4-string banjo tunings and stick with that. If you have a cheap 5-string that's was a great deal but want to play Irish, pop of the 5th string tuner that you don't need, and re-string it to an Irish tuning. I just don't see much benefit to trying to mimic tenor banjo but in 5-string settup.

Yes, I agree, I should have been clearer. If one is going to play Celtic or Irish music, a tenor banjo is definitely the way to go. However if one were to pick a general banjo, I'd pick a 5 string. Odobenidae should definitely figure out what music they want to play before picking a banjo. I have never seen a 5 string tuned to tenor and played with a plectrum. Also, people get kinda uptight about bringing the "wrong" instruments to jams, so there's that too. If you're going to jam Bluegrass or Old Time, get an open back Goodtime or Gold Tone. You then can move into a resonator banjo if you decide to play Bluegrass.

Some places rent. I rented my Goodtime for a month before I committed to the instrument. Perhaps you can do the same? If you're in the Bay Area, Gryphon Instruments does this.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Hollismason posted:

I am having the just a horrible time learning Vamping.
ve covered. Alternating Thumb, Forward Roll, Backwards Roll, Basic Ro
I am practicing and practicing, but that finger shape is just horrible to me, any tips on Vamping?

What finger shape? The F shape? Just keep doing it, it'll be second nature after a while. Are you having trouble doing the actual shape, or getting the timing / finger pressure release of the vamp right?

If the former, just use your barre shape to practice vamping until you get the timing down AND until you get the F shape down. A lot of vamping is done in the F shape, but also in the D shape. There's three primary shapes - A (barre), F, and D. The C shape is actually the D shape moved down two frets if that makes sense. You're just not fretting the middle G string. Does this make sense?

Keep at it. Make sure each note rings clear and clean. A good, but tedious and ultimately rewarding exercise is to pick any roll, but practice emphasizing ONE string out of that roll. Do it for all the strings. It's hard!

We had a good time at the jam last night. What are other folks working on?

Planet X fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 19, 2013

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I would start by learning the primary 3 chord shapes first, and get used to moving between them quickly. Even just rolling or vamping over G chords all the way up the neck would be beneficial. open, 3rd fret, seventh, 12th, 15th, 19th. Make sense? Then try, say, doing the same thing over C, then over D. Once you can move between chord forms, move onto minors and seventh.

Edit: Primary chord shapes being the F form, Barre form, and D form, all major chords. If you want me to put up a video or something for what I'm referring to above, I can.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 16, 2014

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Forget minors and sevenths for a sec, and we'll focus on G, C and D major. Three major chord shapes you must know as a banjo player are:

"F chord form", commonly played at the third fret as G
"Barre" chord form", commonly played at the fifth fret as C
"D chord form", commonly played at the second fret as D

Learn these first. Your chord chart book will likely confuse you. I did a quick video that will hopefully make sense. Basically if you learn these three shapes, you can move them all over the neck.

https://vimeo.com/86945795

I play mainly Scruggs style in open G tuning. If you're looking for clawhammer and other tunings, someone else may want to chime in here.

Lastly bear in mind that we do a lot of partial chord forms in bluegrass, like, we may not fret the fourth (thickest) string when playing a G chord way up on the 15th fret. The frets get close together and it's hard to get the fingers all together fretting and ringing notes clearly. If you learn these three chord forms and are able to switch between them cleanly and in time with the music, you're well on your way. Fret them cleanly, make sure every note rings. Speed will come.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 18, 2014

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
You can play any of those shapes anywhere on the neck and make them different chords.

Play a bar form on the second fret and it's an A chord. Fourth fret a B, seventh fret a D.

Play a D form on the fourth fret and it's E. Fifth fret it's F. Etc.

If I understand your question correctly, in the case of the F form G, your pinky and ring are actually on the fifth fret, and your index on the third fret - so the *lowest* fretted string is on that fret. Like, if I say fret a D form "on the second fret", I mean that your finger closest to the headstock is on the second fret.

For now, I'd say just practice fretting those chords. If you're a bluegrass player, you can do a LOT with JUST those chord forms. You'll end up doing the different forms all over the neck to get different voicings. You may, while you are learning, want to stick to the lower part of the neck, but don't be afraid of the upper register of the neck. You'll quickly want to do some cool stuff up there for some neat licks and voicings. The minor and seventh forms are simple, get those next.

Reply or PM if you have any other questions.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
That's really cool, thanks for sharing. There's a guy here in Baltimore who's very prominent in the clawhammer and old time scene. I asked him about what you've posted, and this is what he had to say:

Why yes, I know a bunch of "Knott County" style banjo players. It's a very rhythmic style of playing unique to Knott County Kentucky that dates back many many years. I actually know Matt Kinman from various Old-Time festivals. He's a regular at Clifftop and some of the other big ones.

One of my good friends, Chris Ousley of the Bumper Jacksons, is a fine Knott County banjo player. Perhaps you know him? You've probably heard of the Bumper Jacksons but if not, you should check them out! They used to be from Baltimore (now DC) and they play trad jazz, swing, old country, folky music. They're an awesome band! Here is a video of Chris playing Knott County style banjo at the Windup Space:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuVstg1rR5o

Hope this helps. Also, for Reagan Past, I know nothing about Mandolins. I play a cheap one from time to time. Probably worth the money, but they will have the limitations that inexpensive instruments have, of course.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Why be sad? :glomp: There's so much to learn now. Lots of bluegrass - traditional, progressive, jammy. Del McCoury is a fantastic place to start. I can add a recommended bluegrass (and old time) listening list to the OP if people are interested and others want to contribute.

Mando isn't hard, but the frets are way smaller and the chords are tighter. Not impossible. Jam on it a while in the store and see if it speaks to you.

Del's son is like one of the best mandolin players out there right now.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Please discuss Mandolins here.

Postin' from Ireland :smuggo:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
They were playing the same tune. I'm incredibly lucky to be in Galway for business, and one of the folks at work plays tenor banjo. She insisted that I head to the bar they jam at this past weekend, and I got there early and was seated right up with the musicians. I don't know much Irish music apart from a little bit of Pogues, Chieftains, Dubliners, so this was new territory for me. The music is so intricate and hypnotic, and definitely not as simple as some of the I-IV-V Bluegrass I'm used to playing and listening to. Lots of parts to it, and key changes in some of them. My Mother's maiden name is of Irish ancestry, so I felt really connected to it, especially in the moment.

I had the pleasure of being invited to a house session this week, so I actually got to sit in and play today! They don't get a chance to hear bluegrass banjo players often, so they handed me a 5 string, and I played a few tunes. One of the Irish tunes we played sounded a lot like Clinch Mtn Backstep, so when we were done I played that to show them how Irish trad music manifested itself strongly in bluegrass. The session leader and I jammed Blackberry Blossom a bit (he on accordion!) and they all got a big kick out of it. Glad I was able to bring something to the circle, because all the rest of the time I was listening intently, noodling, and doing backup chords. :unsmith:

Does anyone here play traditional Irish music?

Planet X fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 12, 2014

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
- Take your right arm, and set it on your thigh, hang your right hand off of your knee, lightly. Now take that hand and transfer it to your banjo, that's more or less the position your right hand should be in, slightly turned so that the thumb is ahead of the other fingers.

- Pick perpendicular, as much as possible, to the strings. If you don't, itll give more of a scraping sound

- Dont scrape the head of the banjo with the picks. Playing with a mute will help you catch this

- Resonator banjos are heavy. Play sitting down, weight of the banjo on your lap, sit up straight if you can.

- Try and plant two fingers on the head of the banjo, but one is fine.

It's personal preference how high up you play the banjo up on your chest or low on your crotch. Most banjo players dont play super low like guitar players do.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Yesterday, we went to the Charm City bluegrass festival here in Baltimore. Pretty good lineup, with Noam Pikelney and Friends (him, Chris E and the fiddle player from Punch Brothers, old mandolin player from the Stringdusters, and Allison Kraus' bassist). Headliner was Jerry Douglas, who I had never seen before. Fun day all in all, and the bassist from Seldom Scene was there doing some jamming with us on the side. Sierra Hull and a few other regional acts too. 12 hours of great music.

It's the second one they've had, this one was definitely better than the one at Union Brewery last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Good advice. On a budget as a beginner, get a guitar. You can strum along and learn a few flatpicking melody lines. Eventually, you can make friends in the jam scene and see some of the instruments up close and maybe noodle around on them. Have an acoustic instrument store near you? Go try some out, and get an idea of prices. I will say that there's not a lot of dulcimers in bluegrass jams, but that shouldn't necessarily stop you. See if there are any bluegrass jams or festivals in your area.

• Locked thread