Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
I've been playing on a Dean 5-string banjo that my friend gave me awhile back and finally took it out to a folk jam here in Chicago to start branching out. Good experience, I definitely picked up a lot of tips in the 3 or so hours we were playing. On the downside, I absolutely have to buy a new banjo now. I knew it wasn't the best instrument but after hearing the other guys last night I'm heading to the store this afternoon to try some out.

Anyone living in Chicago should head to this if you want to jam on some standards for three hours with 15 guys all older than your dad:

http://www.folkjam.org/node/4476/repeatdetails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
Have you played any stringed instruments before? If you know how to strum or fingerpick than you should either lean towards clawhammer or Scruggs first, depending on how hard you want to make things for yourself. Clawhammer is more of a strumming motion with individual notes being hit on the downstroke by either your index or middle finger. There'a a very distinct rhythm that goes along with it that makes it a nice choice when you are attempting to play a piece solo and still have it sound full. You can pick up the basics fairly quickly with clawhammer. The Scruggs style is fingerpicking with two metal fingerpicks and a thumb pick. You can get going pretty fast with either technique, but Scruggs is generally the type you hear on bluegrass recordings when the performer is really going to town.

Pick one, buy a basic instructional guide, and then start playing along to songs as soon as possible. You should probably find a teacher for the first few months as well, mostly to insure that you are executing the technique correctly.

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
Oh, and buy vest + pocketwatch for good measure.

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD

ImDifferent posted:

8 months into the Banjo, really digging my new Deering! Another quick beer-and-bluegrass session: http://soundcloud.com/strags/shuckin-the-corn. Lots of dodgy notes, but hopefully getting better.

This sounds fantastic for 8 months in. I'm inspired to step it up, good show.

• Locked thread