Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Anyone have experience with Recording King banjos? I've been renting for the past few months while I take bluegrass banjo lessons, and I'm about ready to purchase my own.

Haven't seen any locally, but the RK-35 and RK-80 seem to get a lot of love on the banjohangout forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

mesc posted:

Anyone have experience with Recording King banjos? I've been renting for the past few months while I take bluegrass banjo lessons, and I'm about ready to purchase my own.

Haven't seen any locally, but the RK-35 and RK-80 seem to get a lot of love on the banjohangout forums.

After waffling for months about what to finally purchase, I went to the school that I take lessons at (Old Town School in Chicago) and tried quite a few out, the selection was on the shorter side but I'm sure banjos don't fly off the shelves. They had a gorgeous Deering Eagle II on sale, but it was pretty far outside what I wanted to spend.

I came home the next day and my wife had it waiting for me.

Anyhow, now I need to look into capos. I'm leery of adding spikes to it, but I was wondering if anyone had advice on which capo / 5th string to pick up - I checked out BHO and found a bunch of conflicting info.

Menstrual Show fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 25, 2011

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

PoorPeteBest posted:

Spikes are definitely the way to go and incredibly simple to install. If you really don't want to I've found this little guy to be pretty decent:

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/RBC55.htm

It pops right on the string and doesn't seem to take it out of tune when changing keys. No where near as invasive as the metal strip option.

I decided to just get spikes installed, there's a place a short drive a away that can do it - http://www.hogeyemusic.com/ - I haven't had a chance to go yet so I purchased http://elderly.com/accessories/items/ESC.htm as a temporary solution. Really easy to use but I'm definitely taking myself out of tune when I take the capo off.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Captain Mediocre posted:

I'm the same as you, but I've seen people argue for resonator on for scruggs style and off for clawhammer. Not sure how much there is in it.

Going from an open back (Goodtime) to a resonator banjo, its crazy how much louder it is. That comes from my new banjo having a tone ring as well, though. I haven't played with it at all without the resonator on, but when I practice at home I definitely keep a towel stuffed in it to keep the volume down - I'm sure my neighbors are sick of hearing Reuben and Foggy Mountain Breakdown at this point.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Planet X posted:

Why not just buy a mute?

Shoving a towel inside has worked fine so far, seems to serve the same purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

I like this thread.

What's everyone's technique for strumming with fingerpicks on? My banjo teacher uses his ring finger, but it always seems like I can't get enough volume that way. I watch live shots of people like Scott Avett, who strums a ton on the banjo, and he seems to just use the side of his fingerpicks. I wonder if that's just a matter of making sure they're tight enough, because I worry about them popping off.

Also, looking back at the beginning of the thread (regarding thumb picks). I switched from the dunlop plastic pick that came with my rented Goodtime to a metal-and-plastic Pro Pik and drat, after about a month with the Pro Pik I'm a ton faster. The shorter blade really helps.

• Locked thread