Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Just learning banjo playing - I'm 33 and have always wanted to play. It turns out it's never too late to learn a musical instrument.

My teacher referred me to Chordie.com for chords to various songs - it's great but it seems like I need to be translating things up or down some steps to get the right key for my banjo (standard 5-string g-tuned banjo.) Chordie defaults to guitar - to get songs to sound right (I think it's just the key that's off) do I need to transpose up or down in addition to selecting 5-string banjo tuning? The couple of songs I've looked up just sound really.. out of key when I use chordie's chords without transposing, but I don't know what the default standard is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Captain Mediocre posted:

Alternatively, you can transpose the chords yourself into a different key and play them like that instead. I don't know how much musical theory you know, but even if its none transposing is pretty easy. For example, this website lets you copy&paste your chords into it, you tell it how many keys higher/lower you want it and it'll give you a new set of chords to play which will sound like the recorded version of whatever you're learning.

Yeah, I guess that was my question, I didn't know how many keys higher/lower to go.

So here's a song (Deadman's Gun from Red Dead Redemption. Yes, video game music) in guitar chords (looks like Key o' C):

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/a/ashtar_command/deadmans_gun_crd.htm

Using that tool, I'm not sure how many steps up/down to transpose to get it to sound right on my five-string. Or would it be different for every song?

Unfortunately I never learned any musical theory despite 5 years of piano lessons and 8+ years of high school band.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Captain Mediocre posted:

That is indeed in the key of C. I looked up the song aswell and checked, it is also in C. I'm not too sure what you're asking, the chords you have on that page already match the key of the recording (that I heard anyway). I had a go playing along and it sounded fine, maybe your banjo is out of tune? Alternatively, it might depend on what you're trying to do. If you're strumming the banjo it never tends to sound right matched up against guitar chords. But if you're picking out bits of the right chords or following a melody in the key it ought to sound fine as it is.

Yeah, I've just been strumming - I've literally had just a couple of lessons and am just learning some basic rolls, but my teacher thought it would be a good idea for me to hop on Chordie and find some songs I liked to strum out. It seemed like he was saying "guitar chords are always in a certain key so you'll have to do some transposing to get them to sound right on your banjo" but maybe I misunderstood.

I'll try it in the easier key you indicated and at least see if I can practice my chord transitions, since the song's pretty easy all things considered which is why I picked it in the first place.

Thanks for the tip!

• Locked thread